1 2
pirate
pirate HalfDork
3/5/20 9:11 a.m.

I worked in a metallurgical lab and used a Dremel 4000 to cut up samples for mounting and evaluation. Cut everything from aluminum to super alloys. Dremel was used and abused daily but held up well. Only complaints was it got very hot to handle under continuous use and 1/8 inch collet limited some of the tools needed. I actually prefer pneumatic grinders but the size of the Dremel allows to get in smaller places. Used These cut off wheels which held up well but are fairly expensive if you use a lot of them.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
3/5/20 9:43 a.m.
Stefan said:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/reviews/g1255/can-anyone-top-the-dremel-6-rotary-tools-tested/

Interesting - if you look closely, you'll see the Craftsman 32690 housing is the same plastic as a Dremel 3000, other than different colors.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
3/5/20 10:17 a.m.

Buy the top of the line Dremel.  If it ever stops working, send it back and they will repair it.  If they can't fix it for less than a replacement, they will sell you an equivalent tool for cost.

I took over the practice of a guy that was retiring.  Had two Dremels from the late 1960's, with an internal battery.  One crapped out and when I sent it back the guy said they could not fix it.  I ask why, and he asks where I got it.  I explain, and he tells me they have not made anything like it in maybe 40 years, so he has no parts.  Got a pair of $125 dollar rotary tools for $50 each

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/20 11:02 a.m.

Keep in mind that a lot of the things you want to do can also be accomplished with an oscillating tool. In fact, with a flexible bimetal blade, you can cut a bolt head off flush without a shower of sparks.

My Dremel is old and makes a horrible noise, but it still works.

_
_ Dork
3/5/20 11:32 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

True. But I want one for all the other features as well. Like head porting and wood carving. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/5/20 11:50 a.m.

Sounds like you want the power and capabilities of a 1/4" die grinder in a dremel size package.  Milwaukee recently launched a cordless 1/4" straight die grinder, 2486-20. I have the right angle grinder and this one of is on my list to replace my big corded die grinder and my rotary tool.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
3/5/20 12:00 p.m.

In reply to _ :

I agree with almost everything written here. The only point I will make is that the tool is part one of the equation. The actual cutting tool brand quality and engineered purpose is critical to happiness. So the cutoff wheel or grinding bit will make you hate or love whatever tool you end up buying.

Using the low quality and incorrect material cutting bit on your Dremel/Dewalt/Milwaukee is like putting a set of bald minispares on a Camaro ZL1 for a track day.... hmm

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/5/20 3:09 p.m.
Advan046 said:

In reply to _ :

I agree with almost everything written here. The only point I will make is that the tool is part one of the equation. The actual cutting tool brand quality and engineered purpose is critical to happiness. So the cutoff wheel or grinding bit will make you hate or love whatever tool you end up buying.

Using the low quality and incorrect material cutting bit on your Dremel/Dewalt/Milwaukee is like putting a set of bald minispares on a Camaro ZL1 for a track day.... hmm

This is great advice.  I have the cheapest HF receiprocating saw, and the most expensive Milwaukee and Dewalt blades...easily cost 2-3x as much as the saw.  These tools are just delivery devices for the media.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/20 3:41 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Sounds like you want the power and capabilities of a 1/4" die grinder in a dremel size package.  Milwaukee recently launched a cordless 1/4" straight die grinder, 2486-20. I have the right angle grinder and this one of is on my list to replace my big corded die grinder and my rotary tool.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Dpw8ywZxEG6DDcqfKlDIo9tKbjFqdDgdG7iMCdnD6JkX1j8TTt0lbF2cMVJV8TJj