1 2
P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/16/24 12:07 p.m.

Alright so here's part 2 of the question about how it feels good to have your car complimented: 

How do you RESPOND when someone compliments your car?

Like I mentioned in my post in the original thread, compliments of my car are awkward for me since it is truly only something that I purchased, that anyone could purchase, and other than my upkeep I have nothing to do with its coolness.
So instead of saying thanks, as if it were a compliment to me, when someone says "Cool car!" I agree with them like 

"YEAH! I really like it! It's a blast to drive"

How about you? What do you do when someone compliments your car?

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/16/24 12:11 p.m.

In all seriousness, I'd probably freeze up and just say thanks.

I'll try to remember your strategy of agreeing with the person. I like that.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/16/24 12:18 p.m.

Depends on the person. I always think of the woman that asked if my Miata was a Mazda, when it looked like this. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
10/16/24 12:18 p.m.

"I appreciate it, it is a lot of fun to drive" is my standard. If I'm not in a rush, I'll say "you can take a closer look if you want"

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
10/16/24 12:23 p.m.

I have to hold myself back from fanboying sometimes, but I try to gauge the person's intrest and go from there. I could tell you all about the goof drivetrain in my Lemon or I could leave it at, "thanks, me too!"

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/24 12:29 p.m.

Usually a 20-minute dissertation on the provenance of the entire history of the car, showing 210 pictures of the build process while they awkwardly try to exit the chat, and then offering to take them for a ride that they have no interest in doing.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/16/24 12:31 p.m.

Most times it's just a brief encounter and I'll respond with a "Thanks, I like it too."  If they want to stop and talk a bit more, I'll do that as well.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/16/24 12:32 p.m.

It depends on the person and the amount of time I have.  Most of the time I just say "thanks."  One time, a kid at the community college begged me to check out his 318ti that he had ITBs on and I obliged him.  It was cool.  I asked him if he had ever driven an M3 and he said no, so I tossed him the keys.  He was over the moon.  

I take the old M3 for granted as a somewhat anonymous car, but it seems like clean E36 M3s are starting to become noteworthy.  I've started getting a lot more attention in it the last year or so.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/16/24 12:41 p.m.

On the Mustang I say thanks. To be honest the people complimenting me are much more of a fan of the car than I am.

On the Datsun I tend to give them a brief history (depending on if they are interested or not) and tell them it's a really fun to drive car.

For the longest time I didn't know what to do with compliments on the Datsun. For me it was always this $270 car that we beat on, it kind of still is, but people love 1200s so I've come to truly appreciate it.

I suspect in time I will come to truly appreciate the Mustang.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
10/16/24 12:45 p.m.

As others have said above, I usually just say "thanks" and agree that there aren't many like it, if I think that's all that's needed.  But when you have a unicorn that was rare when new and hasn't been seen in decades by the general public, a short and polite conversation is usually in order.  I have no problem with that.  

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/16/24 12:55 p.m.

Same here, with a simple "thanks", which was learned through bitter experience. Little do they know the floodgate that I'm holding closed, where the slightest misstep on their part will release a torrent of unasked-for background on the car. This is where the phrase, "behind every husband is a wife rolling her eyes" comes into play.

Kidding aside (mostly), it was really neat when a dad would ask if his son could sit in the car so he could take a photo.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/24 12:58 p.m.

"5 Grand and it can be yours"

Haven't had a single taker for any of my vehicles yet though

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/24 12:59 p.m.

Thanks, it's a lot of fun

or

thanks, me too

except in the rowdy Audi, when its

thanks, it's a magnificent beast!

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/16/24 1:01 p.m.

I'm awkward as all hell. Smile, nod and say thanks while scurrying away.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/16/24 1:13 p.m.

"Thanks! Have you ever sat in one?" And then get pics with their phone of them behind the wheel.

If I'm feeling snarky sometimes I start with, "That's crazy, it's my dream car too!"

============================================

If anybody knows of a 300SL owner with a similar outlook on car ownership, let me know, cause I'd love to sit in one!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/16/24 1:43 p.m.

Only happens with the truck, first thing is usually "thanks, no its not a Lightning" (cause everyone follows up the "nice truck" with "is it a Lightning?")

I usually end up talking about how long I have had the truck and the person complimenting usually talks about the one they or their dad/uncle/brother had

thewheelman
thewheelman Reader
10/16/24 1:58 p.m.

I got one in a drive through the other day that really put things in perspective. The guy said "Hey, I really like your Mustang! What mods have you done?" I replied with the things done (not much), and then said that I hadn't done as many as I'd like. His reply to that was "hey, it's still a really nice car!". 

I realized that I get so caught up in what I still want to do that I don't realize that how the car sits now is really cool, and that I should be happy for that, too.  

But for the most part, my reply is just thanks. I don't want to be obnoxious and just ramble on about the car. If they ask questions, I'll answer. I try my hardest to not be an annoying car enthusiast. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
10/16/24 2:12 p.m.

"Thanks."

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/16/24 2:20 p.m.

If ita compliment then "Thanks very much" or something like that. 

If it's some B.S. story about his uncle's brother's cousin's similar car that burned avgas, got 100mpg or turned the quarter in 5 seconds then it's "cool story bro".

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/16/24 2:22 p.m.
thewheelman said:

The guy said "Hey, I really like your Mustang! What mods have you done?"

I always get tripped up by this because most of my cars have extensive mods that can't really be burped out in a few sentences. "Uh, engine, trans, brake, suspension upgrades?"

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/24 2:38 p.m.

Sometimes with a thumbs up and a thanks. 

Sometimes with a 20-minute conversation or an autocross ride. 

It depends on the person and the situation. 

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
10/16/24 2:41 p.m.

I ask if their mom would like a ride!

Seriously though, Usually just thanks. I might tell them a little bit about it depending on when it is. A stoplight, not much conversation. A gas station, usually something vague to gauge their actual interest and level of car knowledge.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/24 3:13 p.m.

Option 1.  " Thanks!!!  Yes it is a lot of fun to own and drive"  Then see where it goes

Option2. "Here's your sign" (said in my mind and then I go to option #1)

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/16/24 3:20 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Only happens with the truck, first thing is usually "thanks, no its not a Lightning" (cause everyone follows up the "nice truck" with "is it a Lightning?")

I usually end up talking about how long I have had the truck and the person complimenting usually talks about the one they or their dad/uncle/brother had

An addendum to this.  

I generally try and talk with anyone that wants to talk about any of my vehicles.  Im antisocial enough that it does me good and if they are talking to me its someone that is some level of enthusiast, or at least enthusiastic 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/16/24 4:34 p.m.

Agreed.

Any car conversation trumps any and all sportsball conversations. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eMCaTJN3cwNEX6t2q8toWDSOscOrEljgdWt5NYyKJMOIdowEbzMvQ7OSWpX0t0Lu