1 2 3
MoCounselor
MoCounselor GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/10/17 7:53 a.m.

I just ran across this picture online, and it's got the wheels turning for me. Someone, talk me out of a classic british shootingbrake project! (Especially seeing as I have a classic Volvo project in the garage now that still needs a fair amount of work to be road worthy.)

Those flares though....

MoCounselor
3/10/17 7:53 a.m.

To make matters worse, a 60 second search on my local Craigslist unearthed this!

jh36
jh36 Reader
3/10/17 7:56 a.m.

I had a '67 and loved it. It was my band car. I could just fit a 4x12 in the back. It would run flawlessly for weeks then fry three sets of points in a day. We called her Christine. I miss her and like you, dream of another one still.

jh36
jh36 New Reader
3/10/17 7:57 a.m.

In reply to MoCounselor:

Do it!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/17 8:07 a.m.

Obviously I'm in no position to diss the GT. I think they're one of the few truly pretty British coupes, and they're very attainable either through a reasonable price or the application of a large amount of work. All they need is a modern engine - Carl Heidelman's work in putting Miata drivetrains in them is perfect.

Although I've never liked the Sebring flares all that much - the rest of the car has nice taut lines and the flares are blobby fiberglass. I prefer the adapted Mk1 Golf flares instead.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/10/17 8:09 a.m.
MoCounselor wrote:

Put a NSFW tag in the title if you are going to post something that dirty!!

Also, these have been on my lust list for over a decade. Please let me live vicariously.

MoCounselor
3/10/17 8:25 a.m.
jh36 wrote: I had a '67 and loved it. It was my band car. I could just fit a 4x12 in the back. It would run flawlessly for weeks then fry three sets of points in a day. We called her Christine. I miss her and like you, dream of another one still.

Good to know, as I'm a guitarist also! No 4x12 for me, but I am currently looking at 2x12 or widebody 1x12 combo amps! :)

MoCounselor
3/10/17 8:28 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Obviously I'm in no position to diss the GT. I think they're one of the few truly pretty British coupes, and they're very attainable either through a reasonable price or the application of a large amount of work. All they need is a modern engine - Carl Heidelman's work in putting Miata drivetrains in them is perfect. Although I've never liked the Sebring flares all that much - the rest of the car has nice taut lines and the flares are blobby fiberglass. I prefer the adapted Mk1 Golf flares instead.

Keith, that car looks great! How about I build one with the Mk1 Golf flares and we trade for a FM v8-swapped ND?!

Any links to Carl's work on converting them to a Miata drivetrain? (I've bought a few odds and ends from you guys over the years and have owned 3 na chassis, so I'm definitely interested to learn more about this.)

-Ben

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/10/17 8:43 a.m.

Grm is running a series on Miata swapping mgbs right now, and they are written by Carl.

http://www.eclecticmotorworks.com

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
3/10/17 8:43 a.m.
MoCounselor wrote: To make matters worse, a 60 second search on my local Craigslist unearthed this!

For about what it will cost you to do the bodywork on that project, you could buy this:

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/10/17 8:44 a.m.

In reply to MoCounselor:

That is Keith's car. I doubt he needs another. Want maybe, but not enough to trade out the Monster he just built

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/17 8:45 a.m.

I don't need another one with the Golf flares, the black one's mine

GRM has run a few articles on Carl's work. A three-parter on an early swap (with some missteps) and a later generic engine swap article. Plus possibly another with a more extreme car, I forget. But here's where you start: http://www.eclecticmotorworks.com/

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/10/17 8:49 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Is it for sale??

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/10/17 8:51 a.m.
MoCounselor wrote: To make matters worse, a 60 second search on my local Craigslist unearthed this!

I remember this car! I swear it has been for sale for 5 years. I think he had 4 GTs at one point. FYI I am up in Columbia.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
3/10/17 8:52 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to NOHOME: Is it for sale??

Sí señor.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
3/10/17 8:57 a.m.

I like the Sebring flares (my old gt - actually more ford than bmc)

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
3/10/17 9:00 a.m.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
3/10/17 9:13 a.m.

In my humble estimation, this is the pinnacle of MGB GT

Build: (Going to guess near 100k went into this one)

http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/BV82016-TheCars.htm

MoCounselor
3/10/17 9:20 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to MoCounselor: That is Keith's car. I doubt he needs another. Want maybe, but not enough to trade out the Monster he just built

I realized that after the fact. Lol! Good looking out though. :D

MoCounselor
3/10/17 9:21 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I don't need another one with the Golf flares, the black one's mine GRM has run a few articles on Carl's work. A three-parter on an early swap (with some missteps) and a later generic engine swap article. Plus possibly another with a more extreme car, I forget. But here's where you start: http://www.eclecticmotorworks.com/

Thanks Keith! Your's is a beauty!

MoCounselor
3/10/17 9:22 a.m.
singleslammer wrote:
I remember this car! I swear it has been for sale for 5 years. I think he had 4 GTs at one point. FYI I am up in Columbia.

The seller is trying to clear out all of the cars he has, evidently. In the pics I've spotted 3 gt's, and several convertibles.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
3/10/17 9:43 a.m.

I recently posted a "NMNA" ad in the classifieds for one that was $500.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/10/17 9:46 a.m.

Given that they have almost identical wheelbases, and the MGB is body-on-frame, has anyone tried transplanting the entire driveline/suspension off of a Miata into one of these? It'd require big honking flares, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Titan4
Titan4 New Reader
3/10/17 9:54 a.m.

MGBs are unibody - not body-on-frame. But swapping some Miata stuff underneath might still be possible. Lots of V6 conversions have been done on Bs and BGTs and they seem pretty tempting to me. I had a '69 BGT (stock) with overdrive. Fun car but a little hot in the summer. The '69 didn't have any fresh air vents except the windows.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
3/10/17 9:58 a.m.

Sorry, MGB's are unitary, not body on frame. Maybe you are thinking about Spitfires.

Anyhow, I love my '68 GT, apparently I'm the only one here who like them stock. It won't win any drag races but it is a lovely place to be when you are in no hurry (when it's running).

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qQrZPLUAZfeUbWtTooLFC3W4D4JutbhGhGvQlaidARFeRopeMZtqbiabRBDB74jw