1 2 3 4 5 6
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/18 6:17 a.m.

I grew up follow asphalt Modifieds before moving north to dirt country.  For a while when NASCAR wasn’t trying to kill off the modified tour they ran at Daytona first on the road course then on the speedway which brought out some wild looking cars.  This was stopped when the mods with better aero and giant big blocks when running faster than the blocky small block powered Cup cars.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
5/20/18 7:02 a.m.

Tred Wear converted an old '39 Chevy dirt tracker into a cool street car

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/20/18 8:01 a.m.

Pretty sure the car I'm building as a challenge car was originally built as a dirt track racer. Probably wasn't vintage when it was built and raced though.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/20/18 8:33 a.m.
Cooter said:

I'm a MoPar guy at heart, but this would make the purists start attacking the old mill with torches and pitchforks. And make the other Charger sheeple cry because it doesn't have an 01 on the doors. 

I love MoPar, especially the second gen Chargers. I would Sawzall the wheel wells even more to add lowness.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
5/20/18 10:15 a.m.

I looked this morning for a scabby (so I wouldn't feel bad 'customizing' the wheel wells) 73-81 Malibu to build a street legal street stocker.

Fortunately I didn't find one.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
5/20/18 1:22 p.m.

The NE modifieds are all factory built race cars with crate motors. The big blocks do exist.   They all look alike unlike the old days.

The racing is still good though.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
5/20/18 3:10 p.m.

I don't like crate engine classes.

I know it's for the better, but it takes away my biggest advantage.

Wally
5/20/18 7:41 p.m.

Most of the small block cars by me have gotten away from crate motors as once they need a rebuild your not saving any money because they have to go to an authorized shop and used approved parts. 

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
5/21/18 4:43 a.m.
Appleseed said:
Cooter said:

I'm a MoPar guy at heart, but this would make the purists start attacking the old mill with torches and pitchforks. And make the other Charger sheeple cry because it doesn't have an 01 on the doors. 

I love MoPar, especially the second gen Chargers. I would Sawzall the wheel wells even more to add lowness.

Thank you for that. It is good to know there are more of us out there  

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
5/21/18 4:44 a.m.
Wally said:

I grew up follow asphalt Modifieds before moving north to dirt country.  For a while when NASCAR wasn’t trying to kill off the modified tour they ran at Daytona first on the road course then on the speedway which brought out some wild looking cars.  

Ohhhhh myyyy.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
5/21/18 10:47 a.m.

The number 61 and orange seems to stir a memory.    Just can't catch it.      

Wally
5/21/18 11:33 a.m.

In reply to iceracer :

9 time NASCAR Modified champion Richie Evans.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
5/21/18 11:46 a.m.

Thanks for this thread.

I had completely forgotten all about that red Malibu I posted and have been thinking all weekend about how much fun that first street stock season was.

Wally
5/21/18 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Suprf1y :

What is the last car in your post?  It looks chevette like.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
5/21/18 1:40 p.m.
Suprf1y said:

I looked this morning for a scabby (so I wouldn't feel bad 'customizing' the wheel wells) 73-81 Malibu to build a street legal street stocker.

Fortunately I didn't find one.

One of the main reasons for this thread is the fact I want to "save" a cheap, scabby, unloved 60s-70s car by hacking it up, dropping it down using decent suspension, and stuffing big, sticky rubber under it and dailying it. 

Hopefully, if one of the other weirdos in my support group here does it I won't be nearly as tempted anymore .

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
5/21/18 1:56 p.m.

Thread made me think of the first truck, the other two were found while looking for the first picture.

Wally
5/21/18 2:22 p.m.

I’ve been collecting pieces to one day make my Monte Carlo look like a cup car.  

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
5/21/18 3:53 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

I have been thinking a lot about this one for the past week, and possibly incorporating some ideas from it into my D100  

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
5/21/18 3:55 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Just when I had calmed down with my square body Dodge truck obsession you go and show me this. 

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
5/21/18 3:56 p.m.

That's what we are here for.  laugh

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
5/21/18 4:09 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

And now I'm on my way down a "Dodge cab sitting low on a crown vic chassis and lots of tire" rabbit hole. I hope you're happy.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
5/21/18 4:14 p.m.

A guy locally did up this Monte Carlo for this season

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
5/21/18 4:39 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

The CV crossmember is about 3" wider than the Dodge frame, but there are ways to deal with it. 

Ask my why I know that...

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
5/21/18 4:39 p.m.
Wally said:

In reply to Suprf1y :

What is the last car in your post?  It looks chevette like.

Hyundai Pony AKA 4dr Plymouth Arrow.

Now that was a season, something I'll never be able to do again. I won 24 of 26 features and every single heat that year.

It was just one of those things when everything went right.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
5/21/18 4:53 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to Cooter :

And now I'm on my way down a "Dodge cab sitting low on a crown vic chassis and lots of tire" rabbit hole. I hope you're happy.

Not a dodge but it will get further down that route lol

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bW8Y2x1KUaIqh65OmPgmTW2kpo2wonWgpChaN08FEmYqvLxtluxQOSk0BWmwMFWw