1 2 3 4 5 6
Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
5/21/18 11:08 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

I figured if the plan involved using the entire crown vic frame and channeling the cab anyway, it didn't matter as much. I know a lot of people want to just use the IFS so they don't have to cut the bed floor to clear for the rear section of the crown vic frame. The truck I'm picturing in my head right now doesn't even have a bed floor so it won't be an issue. 

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
5/22/18 6:39 a.m.

Honestly, the reason I will use the front suspension is because it is so easy. This is my buddy's '61 "Unibody" F100. It is believed to be the first Uni CV swapped well over 10 years ago. This swap can be completed in a weekend by two guys.  A full chassis swap will take months with no discernible upside. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/22/18 6:44 a.m.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
5/22/18 6:54 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

If only he could have figured out a way to fit wider tires on the front. 

Maybe with more backspacing?

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
5/22/18 3:46 p.m.

Seeing these cars is like a trip down memory lane.

I remember many carefree afternoons - I was a kid, on the way to the track, hanging out in the pits and sticking around for what was a real a party atmosphere afterward with BBQ's and corn roasts put on by the track

I don't think it's like that anymore.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/22/18 6:08 p.m.
Cooter said:

Honestly, the reason I will use the front suspension is because it is so easy. This is my buddy's '61 "Unibody" F100. It is believed to be the first Uni CV swapped well over 10 years ago. This swap can be completed in a weekend by two guys.  A full chassis swap will take months with no discernible upside. 

I'm pretty sure I know that guy. Never knew it was chassis swapped.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/18 8:25 p.m.

In reply to Suprf1y :

I try to go out to watch friends run a few times a year and we still have fun and hang out barbecuing after the races. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
5/22/18 9:03 p.m.
914Driver said:

I'm pretty intrigued by the right hand steering in a circle track car.  And a little bit surprised by the Chebby engine in a FalconFord.  And slicks on a dirt tracker (or is that just the paddock?).

Wally
5/23/18 7:21 a.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

That’s likely a pavement car given the slicks and low ground clearance.  The engine is   offset enough to the left that the steering was moved right for because the headers were in the way.  The 60s and 70s were pretty much a time when you could see anything tried. 

Edit it the Chevy in a Ford was normal .  Bodies were whatever were generally whatever you had available.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
5/23/18 9:22 a.m.
ClemSparks said:
914Driver said:

I'm pretty intrigued by the right hand steering in a circle track car.  And a little bit surprised by the Chebby engine in a FalconFord.  And slicks on a dirt tracker (or is that just the paddock?).

I think back then they didn’t have the purpose built dirt track tires so they just used the same stuff for both dirt and asphalt 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
5/23/18 2:08 p.m.

I wonder when that was ?      Seems when the wide tires came out, both types were available.

Locally we had an asphalt track that ran on Fri. nite and a dirt track on Sat nite.    Biggest change was just the tires.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
5/23/18 2:13 p.m.

Our local kart track requires slicks.

It is dirt.

MotorsportsGordon
5/23/18 2:45 p.m.

When a dirt track goes dry slick you start putting down rubber like an asphalt track and in some cases depending on how dry slick it goes can be like driving on ice 

Wally
5/23/18 7:50 p.m.

Since I’m home alone again I’m wasting time on the internet looking at old mods.  

Geoff Bodine’s Valiant:

Maynard Troyer, pretty much the father of the modern factory built modifieds.:

A Bicentennial Gremlin:

Wally
5/23/18 7:51 p.m.

A couple little furrin’ cars:

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
5/23/18 9:26 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

The guy far right on the 14 car looks like Kramer from Seinfeldsmiley

MotorsportsGordon
5/23/18 11:07 p.m.
Wally said:

Since I’m home alone again I’m wasting time on the internet looking at old mods.  

Geoff Bodine’s Valiant:

Maynard Troyer, pretty much the father of the modern factory built modifieds.:

A Bicentennial Gremlin:

Maynard Troyer just recently passed away 

https://speedsport.com/stock-cars/asphalt-modifieds/modified-legend-maynard-troyer-passes/

NickD
NickD PowerDork
5/24/18 7:27 a.m.
Wally said:

In reply to iceracer :

9 time NASCAR Modified champion Richie Evans.

Fun fact: Richie Evans hailed fom right here in my hometown of little ol' Rome, NY. There are a ton of restored or cloned Richie Evans cars around here as a result

NickD
NickD PowerDork
5/24/18 7:29 a.m.
Wally said:

In reply to Cooter :

Have you read the full story on that car? The history is pretty weird.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
5/24/18 8:08 a.m.
Wally said:

A couple little furrin’ cars:

Plymouth Arrow?

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
5/24/18 11:39 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Any 68 charger that ends up with 8 lug hubs is bound to have a story full of weirdness.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/24/18 11:42 a.m.
NickD said:
Wally said:

In reply to Cooter :

Where can I find it?

NickD
NickD PowerDork
5/24/18 11:58 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:
NickD said:
Wally said:

In reply to Cooter :

Where can I find it?

Here. Short story is that in the '70s, some guy decided he wanted to race NASCAR at Indy, so he went out, bought a wrecked '68 Charger and set it up for NASCAR, then went and bought a trailer to haul it to Indy and found out the car was too wide to fit on the trailer, so he parked it in a barn and it was never run. It has a weirdo Timken full-floater, 8-lug rear end out of a 1950 Willys with an open differential and 4.88 gears, 1960 Ford F350 drums at all 4 corners, and a pair of police car, C-body torsion bars and a stock Mopar 383 engine. Something tells me that even if the guy had made it to Indy, the 4.88 gears and stock 383 would have made it pretty uncompetitive.

I think my favorite part is the rear centering link made out of 2 old tie-rod ends

MotorsportsGordon
5/24/18 1:13 p.m.
NickD said:
Dusterbd13 said:
NickD said:
Wally said:

In reply to Cooter :

Where can I find it?

Here. Short story is that in the '70s, some guy decided he wanted to race NASCAR at Indy, so he went out, bought a wrecked '68 Charger and set it up for NASCAR, then went and bought a trailer to haul it to Indy and found out the car was too wide to fit on the trailer, so he parked it in a barn and it was never run. It has a weirdo Timken full-floater, 8-lug rear end out of a 1950 Willys with an open differential and 4.88 gears, 1960 Ford F350 drums at all 4 corners, and a pair of police car, C-body torsion bars and a stock Mopar 383 engine. Something tells me that even if the guy had made it to Indy, the 4.88 gears and stock 383 would have made it pretty uncompetitive.

I think my favorite part is the rear centering link made out of 2 old tie-rod ends

That story seems a bit off unless they mean Indianapolis raceway park instead of Indianapolis motor speedway or possibly it was daytona. Stock cars never raced at ims until 1994.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
5/24/18 5:53 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I thought so.    He was a legend

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Iz7TjGXJP9XKNcIZoQmok5XUIVRb8QmJmBOF1HdlyCfyHlQuJvztEtc2voxYzOnX