1 2 3
Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
4/3/12 8:31 a.m.

For those complaining about the SA/FB steering and brakes there are two easy options.

There is an aftermarket solution for both. Re-speed.com can has a "big" brake kit to swap on the 4 piston FC brakes. We have this kit on the Lemons car. Installation took an evening and was a bolt on. No issues to date. Improved the braking dramatically.

They also have a rack and pinion kit using a Mustang II rack with comes in all types of ratios from the aftermarket.

The other option is to pull the whole front subframe, steering setup, brakes, shocks & springs off an FC. Do some measuring and drill some holes and it bolts into a SA/FB. You have to mate the steering shaft and find a mounting solution if you are going to run a 12A or GSL-SE front cover or you can swap over to a FC 13B engine or front cover.

To get the matching rear pattern you can get Moser Axles for about $300. In both cases you will need to work out new wheels. FC wheels reportedly fit with a small spacer.

Powar
Powar Dork
4/3/12 8:31 a.m.

Both of these cars win. I've owned a GSL-SE and used it as a DD for a while. It was a great car with a never-opened 280k mile 13B. Reliability and durability defined that car, regardless of what anyone says. It was tons of fun to drive, but the steering sucked. Sucked. I've driven a friend's low mile SA and it felt much better. My car was just tired.

I have a few friends who are RWD Corolla enthusiasts. I've spent a lot of time in them as a driver and as a passenger. They're great cars, delivering tons of smiles and good fuel econ on the daily grind. They can perform well, too. The 4AGE is a great engine and the whole GT-S package really transforms an econobox into a fun car.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
4/3/12 9:15 a.m.
Canute wrote: Considering you can get an FC for about the same money as an FB, meaning as low as zero, why would you bother with an FB? The FC does just about everything right. Plus the Toy is ugly.

I raced a FC for a few races, and it was decently quick, but it had a strange rear suspension, even after the "active" bushings were replaced. You had to "drag" it around the course and I considered it to be a tool, not a car you love. It had a low coefficent of personality, while the FB ozzes it like gummy bears. The FC was a very difficult car to bond with.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
4/3/12 10:17 a.m.
racerdave600 wrote:
Canute wrote: Considering you can get an FC for about the same money as an FB, meaning as low as zero, why would you bother with an FB? The FC does just about everything right. Plus the Toy is ugly.
I raced a FC for a few races, and it was decently quick, but it had a strange rear suspension, even after the "active" bushings were replaced. You had to "drag" it around the course and I considered it to be a tool, not a car you love. It had a low coefficent of personality, while the FB ozzes it like gummy bears. The FC was a very difficult car to bond with.

I loved the handling and feel of my gxl super base model FC. Very neutral with a little bit of very controllable oversteer.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
4/3/12 10:30 a.m.
clutchsmoke wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I never had, but would love to own an Hachi Roku GTS. I am going to go with SA22, because I own one. When it was driveable, I loved to drive that car. One day I hope to have it back on the road.
Hey Synth if you ever want a hand with the SA22 I'm local. Used to have an FC. I miss that car.

I may have to hit you up for that. It would be nice to have some help. Right now I have to find a place to live that it can come with me. I'm going to be stripping it down to a bare shell.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
4/3/12 1:26 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
clutchsmoke wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I never had, but would love to own an Hachi Roku GTS. I am going to go with SA22, because I own one. When it was driveable, I loved to drive that car. One day I hope to have it back on the road.
Hey Synth if you ever want a hand with the SA22 I'm local. Used to have an FC. I miss that car.
Sounds good! Hit me up with a PM whenever. I'm in the NW Chicago suburbs. I may have to hit you up for that. It would be nice to have some help. Right now I have to find a place to live that it can come with me. I'm going to be stripping it down to a bare shell.
Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/3/12 2:10 p.m.

The FB wins because of lightness, clean, classic styling, and an engine bay that will accept any number of things to replace the rotary junk that comes with the car.

Canute
Canute Reader
4/3/12 11:09 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: The FB wins because of lightness, clean, classic styling, and an engine bay that will accept any number of things to replace the rotary junk that comes with the car.

Problem is the suspension and brakes aren't good enough to back up anything besides a rotary.

Canute
Canute Reader
4/3/12 11:13 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote:

I love them, but the ones I've raced were prepared by experienced RX7 crew/owners. With rear steer eliminators, bushings, Konis, coil overs, and 235/40R17 DOT rubber, I bitch slap mine around the track. The FB is definitely more "exciting" to drive.

Canute
Canute Reader
4/3/12 11:15 p.m.

BTW, general RX7 race strategy is to oil down the racetrack so cars with torque (pistons) spend the whole race in the sand traps . Not that I've ever done that, even accidentally.

4eyes
4eyes Dork
4/12/12 12:48 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: AE86. Blame Initial D.

I blame GRM posters, you berkeleyers got me hooked on Initial D. Now I have watched everything Netflix has, and have a lusting for a AE86.....and an MR2.....and an STI.(in truth I have always lusted after an STI)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gyVjo6GrDzbnHQCzoFdxVCW1Umy906qBcw7yxnHtXynjlGhK1t38PeqIt7zeNKnH