1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/2/12 1:49 p.m.

Time for a proper versus thread to kick-start this week!

How about a battle of the classic Japanese sports cars, the iconic 1980's, solid rear axle, two-doors both with impeachable performance, motorsports history, and continuing popularity.

1979-1985 Mazda RX-7 (SA22C/FB):

versus

1983-1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S (AE86):

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/2/12 1:54 p.m.

Can I vote AE86 with RX7 motor?

Off topic but what is that little baby blue car in the background of the first picture?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
4/2/12 1:57 p.m.

NSU Prinz i think?

wae
wae New Reader
4/2/12 2:02 p.m.

1979-1985 was the FB. 1986 saw the introduction of the FC.

My vote is the FB -- I like the weirdness of the rotary and the fun to be had at the courthouse when the lady working the auto registration/title desk asks me how many cylinders it has...

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
4/2/12 2:04 p.m.

I vote RX7 before this thread gets locked and the key thrown away.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/2/12 2:05 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: NSU Prinz i think?

I didn't think those had as "bubbly" a rear window.

rotard
rotard HalfDork
4/2/12 2:14 p.m.

FB all the way. Hell, the FB took out the 240z in this hallowed mag.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
4/2/12 2:14 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:

Iono... it's an NSU of some sort i'm 99% sure though.

It's likely got a rotary considering the company, and i'm pretty sure it's not a Mazda. Choices from there are pretty slim.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
4/2/12 2:21 p.m.

In the unlikely event I could wrap my tiny ladyhands around your fat neck, I'd choke you to death for making another versus thread!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/2/12 2:25 p.m.
rotard wrote: FB all the way. Hell, the FB took out the 240z in this hallowed mag.

Just for accuracies sake, the FB didn't take out the 240z in the magazine.......it won a vs. thread amongst the message board folks. Semantics I know.....but still. There's been several "winners" on the vs. threads that seemed dubious at best.

My vote on this one is the RX-7 hands down.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
4/2/12 2:29 p.m.

I competed against that car. Handled better, looked better, sounded better, faster better than any equivalently-classed Rx.

rotard
rotard HalfDork
4/2/12 2:43 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote:
rotard wrote: FB all the way. Hell, the FB took out the 240z in this hallowed mag.
Just for accuracies sake, the FB didn't take out the 240z in the magazine.......it won a vs. thread amongst the message board folks. Semantics I know.....but still. There's been several "winners" on the vs. threads that seemed dubious at best. My vote on this one is the RX-7 hands down.

Hmmm...I could have sworn that the RX-7 stomped the 240z in the magazine. Something about faster lap times while being more comfortable to drive. Slightly worse gas mileage.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
4/2/12 2:45 p.m.

i have owned both. i had an AE86 GT-S before they were cool, and several years with a '79 RX-7.

they're both great, and you'd be a fool to say one is better than the other.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
4/2/12 2:50 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
Iono... it's an NSU of some sort i'm 99% sure though. It's likely got a rotary considering the company, and i'm pretty sure it's not a Mazda. Choices from there are pretty slim.

Seems like a Prinz 30 to me...

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
4/2/12 2:57 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: I competed against that car. Handled better, looked better, sounded better, faster better than any equivalently-classed Rx.

Isnt that Taka's old car? btw... I had a GTS but Ill take both.

Javelin
4/2/12 3:08 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: In the unlikely event I could wrap my tiny ladyhands around your fat neck, I'd choke you to death for making another versus thread!

Wow, way to be hostile after GRM themselves gave their blessings for them and apologized for axing them in the first place. And I'm very sensitive about my neck fat!

Javelin
4/2/12 3:12 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: i have owned both. i had an AE86 GT-S before they were cool, and several years with a '79 RX-7. they're both great, and you'd be a fool to say one is better than the other.

Versus threads are more about comparing and contrasting over declaring "winners", IMO. I really like both cars. Of course I've owned an RX-7, but I've driven the AE86 and it is a fantastic car. (Make mine a coupe please!) I would buy a good example of either, no hesitation.

As for the comparisons, both have strut fronts with solid axle rears and handle similarly. The RX-7's steering isn't as good, and it's down on mileage and torque, but it does look better. The AE86 is a little more practical, being a 2+2. Both are entering "collectible" status. Funnily enough, there's still plenty of stock 7's, but trying to find a stock AE86 is darn near impossible, even just for the pictures!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
4/2/12 3:24 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: In the unlikely event I could wrap my tiny ladyhands around your fat neck, I'd choke you to death for making another versus thread!
Wow, way to be hostile after GRM themselves gave their blessings for them and apologized for axing them in the first place. And I'm very sensitive about my neck fat!

Remember the "we bought a 335" debacle? Not all GRM's blessings are good ideas!

Apology on the fat neck comment, upon second inspection you just have a tiny head and that makes your neck look disproportionate.

Javelin
4/2/12 3:34 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
Javelin wrote:
Remember the "we bought a 335" debacle? Not all GRM's blessings are good ideas! Apology on the fat neck comment, upon second inspection you just have a tiny head and that makes your neck look disproportionate.

I do remember the "we bought a new Beemer" debacle, I was one of the noisy ones who called them out on it. I think the versus threads are good conversation, and if you don't like it you can easily ignore them. Some of us were learning all sorts of new fun facts to fill up our tiny little heads with and maybe even finding appreciation for a new car that could lead to a purchase. So unless you have something to add about either car, kindly go play in a different thread. I hear the landlord protest one has abortion talk in it.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
4/2/12 3:47 p.m.

I want an '86 Coupe.

Per

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
4/2/12 3:55 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Osterkraut wrote:
Javelin wrote:
Remember the "we bought a 335" debacle? Not all GRM's blessings are good ideas! Apology on the fat neck comment, upon second inspection you just have a tiny head and that makes your neck look disproportionate.
I do remember the "we bought a new Beemer" debacle, I was one of the noisy ones who called them out on it. I think the versus threads are good conversation, and if you don't like it you can easily ignore them. Some of us were learning all sorts of new fun facts to fill up our tiny little heads with and maybe even finding appreciation for a new car that could lead to a purchase. So unless you have something to add about either car, kindly go play in a different thread. I hear the landlord protest one has abortion talk in it.

I view GRM on a very tiny screen, these threads take up a lot of real estate !

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
4/2/12 3:56 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Can I vote AE86 with RX7 motor? Off topic but what is that little baby blue car in the background of the first picture?

That is a Mazda R360.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
ArthurDent wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: Can I vote AE86 with RX7 motor? Off topic but what is that little baby blue car in the background of the first picture?
That is a Mazda R360.

Holy E36 M3 that's tiny.

Javelin

In reply to Osterkraut:

Get a newer smartphone!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
4/2/12 4:01 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Osterkraut: Get a newer smartphone!

The Droid X already has a massive screen, I can't imagine trying to fit bigger in my pocket (that's what she said).

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FA533sA10dAzsfuJdUhO7fXkOv22Xu3z1rn40PvLA6bXKSO304gerPBMSMTTsL9O