Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
4/25/23 8:20 a.m.
feature_image

Can your daily driver serve as your track car and vice versa? And can this hypothetical car be a used Volkswagen?

So far, it looks like the answer is “yes,” as we’ve been cruising around in air-conditioned comfort and visiting the race track every chance we get. No truck, no trailer, no tire changes, no drama: Just a 2017 VW …

Read the rest of the story

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/25/23 4:30 p.m.

Ooo, those new wheels look hawt. 

How much did it pain you to leave the stock shocks when you installed lowering springs? Seems like absolute insanity. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/26/23 10:26 a.m.

I just found calling the camster plates "Dynamic+" kind of humorous considering they are non-adjustable. 

The wheels do look great! I like the bronze with the white. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/26/23 3:37 p.m.

I would've replaced those stock shocks/struts period.  Don't care what 034 says, I'm not wasting my time doing half the job, than having to redo it some time later.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/26/23 3:46 p.m.
docwyte said:

I would've replaced those stock shocks/struts period.  Don't care what 034 says, I'm not wasting my time doing half the job, than having to redo it some time later.

I would have gone with quality coilovers. I haven't put springs/shocks on a car since I was in high school (Eibach/Koni's with ST sways on my '88 300ZX). 

My current coilovers doubled the stock rates, but since it's valved for them and the car the ride isn't as stiff as doubling rates would sound. And I'm sure if I put the stock wheels with 215/40/18 tires on vs the 245/35/18 that are on the car it would be better. Better still if I went down to a 17x9 with 245/40. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/27/23 8:54 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I had the Bilstein B16 damptronics on my Mk7.5 R and loved them.  Agree with you on shocks/springs, I haven't gone that route in so long I can't even remember

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/23/23 12:22 p.m.

Now that you've had a couple of months on these, how are they in terms of NVH? Trying to decide between these and a more OEM-ish solution for my camber like the Eurosport inserts 

Kitsbeach (Forum Supporter)
Kitsbeach (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/14/24 11:09 p.m.

Reviving this thread to ask if you considered lower control arms and/or extended ball joints to get the negative camber you wanted?

I'm wondering what the trade-offs would be.

I'm a big fan of this project as I plan on modifying my new-to-me mk7.5 GTI autobahn for autocross STH class and occasional track use.

I like the idea you've had here of maintaining its "dual driver" functionality. I might go a little more aggressive as I'd like to be competitive in STH.

I think in STH we can only modify the top or the bottom for camber, so camber mounts up top or lower ball joints (maybe arms) on the bottom, but not both.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UfiTlKZD0v31R7bkZSRpL6c8Zjq1VjfAPaOBuWZaiR8lBV4iy6CiWwysrKSydsjz