1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/20 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I haven't had good results with Testors spray paint in years.  If you can find it Tamiya works great, and for cheap enamels I've had good luck with the little Krylon cans at Michaels and Hobby Lobby. 

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/26/20 10:55 a.m.

I guess I'll post this here, since I missed the deadline for the first quick build. I was only off by a week! Hasegawa 767b with Shunko decals.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/26/20 11:06 a.m.

In reply to BenB (Forum Supporter) :

That looks amazing!

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/20 11:29 a.m.

Lawdy! surprise

weaklew
weaklew
4/26/20 11:29 a.m.

I built this BMW 507 model 20 years ago, then saw its real life duplicate two summers ago at the Pittsburgh Grand Prix.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/26/20 12:23 p.m.

Fun times.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/26/20 12:33 p.m.

Wow! Looks like an iRacing rendering. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/26/20 12:34 p.m.
ddavidv said:

Fun times.

Classic. 

4/26/20 12:35 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
ddavidv said:

Fun times.

Classic. 

That's literally the best part of that kit. Those are the best scale Minilites out there.

4/26/20 12:42 p.m.

I'm finally starting!

This is a vintage 1968 release Johan 1968 AMC AMX that I picked up in a lot almost two years ago. It has the gen 1 AMC valve covers (center bolt), Hurst mags, and everything. The body was never painted, that's raw plastic! It's time to build it properly.

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/26/20 1:02 p.m.

Awesome job!

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/26/20 1:15 p.m.

Testors is ownedby Rust-Oleum, BTW.

​​​​​​No issues for me. May be the age of the paint? All mine are new from Tower Hobbies.

Here's the Arctic Blue Metallic over flat white.

SteveMeyer
SteveMeyer
4/26/20 1:39 p.m.

this is not one of my current builds but how about seeing some builds without using a kit?

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/26/20 1:42 p.m.

That's seriously well done Steve!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/26/20 2:31 p.m.

Here is a scratch build for you. 1/8 scale to my design. Now realized in full scale, second pic is me sitting in it! Model took 6 weeks to build, 5 years ago. Full size buck and molds took about 5 months, but not done by me.

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/26/20 8:59 p.m.

Spent most of the day working on the tiny E21 and definitely learned some things. I went into it just priming the parts of the kit I was planning on painting over with Rustoleum. I used decanted sand-able primer from a spray can through my airbrush which went on really nice, if I could start over I would have covered everything with that as the bits that were done were much nicer to paint than the raw plastic. I also wish I had a few more colours, mainly a dark flat gray to do the seats and carpet with in the interior and I would have air brushed that on too (rather than just flat black with a couple drops of white in it to try to lighten it which didn't really work brushed on). Next time all of the flat black stuff will get airbrushed as well as it lays down nicer and takes less time. I am enjoying detailing parts were I can with a brush though like the grills and subframes.

As I started the day

Where we're at now

Tomorrow I hope to get the body colour laid down, it's going to be Rustoleum Regal Red which is a close match to BMW Zinnoberrot, that is what my E28 is so I have it on hand. These cars would have been Henna Red at that time which I like a lot more than my colour (it's more orangey) but there's no way to try to find a match now with everything closed here to in-store shopping.

4/26/20 9:12 p.m.

Bodywork round one and first coat of primer on. 

Claff
Claff Reader
4/26/20 9:26 p.m.

Today I thought I'd get the interior of the El Camino together. I tried to paint the tiny chrome strips on the door panels and failed, as I don't have a fine enough applicator or the steady hand needed. So I'm considering shooting those black again and just putting silver on the door handle and window winders.

Funny thing interior-wise, while I installed the console according to the kit's instructions, I think it's backwards compared to pictures of real trucks online. I can't do much about it now regardless.

Other than that, I made some progress overall though nothing big. Engine is 90% complete, just needs the belts, exhaust manifolds, and carburetor. Once the interior is complete it can go on the frame and I can start on the suspension and exhaust

I have run into a snag, though. I found two tubes of putty in my antique model supply box, and neither was usable. I placed an order with Amazon, but that isn't expected to be here till May 1. I discovered that Walmart does not carry model supplies in store, and I kind of doubt any other big box store in town does either. Is there something I can find in the hardware department or at Lowes that will be a reasonable substitute? My only other option is to get the body as close to finished with just sandpaper and let the paint fly. With the exterior color being on the lighter side (sunburst yellow), some flaws might not be too obvious, but I'd rather get the experience of doing it right under my belt with this truck before launching into more serious builds.

4/26/20 9:47 p.m.

In reply to Claff :

See if your local hobby store is doing curbside pickup. Most are. Failing that, Hobby Lobby and Michael's both carry it and are both open.

For your door panels, just use some brush paint to touch up the black. I recommend you pick up a 1mm Molotow Liquid Chrome pen for the future. On the console, you should be able to use an X-Acto to pry it back off and turn it around.

I'm excited to see this one done!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/26/20 10:33 p.m.

In reply to Claff :

I use real automotive body putty. Home depot has it.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/26/20 10:40 p.m.

Looks like major progress on the Lotus. Really the only time consumer was modernizing the battery and assembling the pedal box. The roll bar is only part way done and is being difficult as I expected. A lot of fiddly little detail is still needed on the fire wall, although all of the kit parts are installed. Starter solenoid and wires, brake and clutch pipes more detai lon the battery tie down. All of that is out in the open with the bonnet off.

4/26/20 10:45 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Is that a soldered brass rollbar?!?

The build is looking epic!

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/27/20 5:35 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Daaaayum! Nice work!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/27/20 6:54 a.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Indeed it is a soldered nickle/bronze roll bar. Truly a roll bar, it is not tubing The kit roll bar is not strong enough to protect a plastic head.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/27/20 7:00 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Very impressive sir.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PY5HCfv5zOTr8rMCRSBnziabm1uM4oYKqv6DEnluoOCeJ0yQO45y6nfOsrUTTlAZ