Whats QFT mean?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
2/4/14 5:51 p.m.

"quoted for truth"

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/4/14 5:57 p.m.

A good driver in a Corolla can spank bad driver n a hopped up Mustang all day long.

Learn to drive, visit some Auto-X venues (spectate) and pay attention.

BTW, Miata is not the answer, some will try to pull you toward the darkness......

Dan

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/4/14 5:59 p.m.

Oh, in case you haven't heard, Auto-X time will make you a better, safer driver on the street.

FifthGear2014
FifthGear2014 New Reader
2/4/14 6:00 p.m.

Whats Auto-X? lol

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
2/4/14 6:02 p.m.

Thought you'd never ask. Check the video out.

I've never autocrossed. I like off road, but first chance I get to autocross, I'll take it.

http://youtu.be/Af2zJAOAqWQ

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
2/4/14 6:06 p.m.

I gave up after my first post, sorry.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
2/4/14 6:18 p.m.
FifthGear2014 wrote: I know but im with friends and were not that stupid we just go really well not really fast just about 60 or so 40 or 50 when doing hair pin turns with the hand break.

That's pretty stupid man.

FifthGear2014
FifthGear2014 New Reader
2/4/14 6:26 p.m.

Lol i know but yea thanks guys haha

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/4/14 6:29 p.m.

A few things:

Subscribe to Grassroots Motorsports Magazine.

DON'T RACE ON THE STREET. PLEASE. Many of us did this when we were younger and many times we regretted it when someone got hurt, we got busted or someone wrecked their car. Many times all of the above happened at the same time. So when we say don't do that, its from experience and we know we were lucky, you or your friends may not be.

Instead of buying a Mustang, I'd keep the Corolla and invest that money into driving lessons, starting with teen survival and moving to maybe a rally school (http://gorally.com/) or a Road-Race school.

Take it Autocrossing, there is likely an active autocross club in your area and they can help you become a better driver and improve the car.

Maybe check out some Karting, which is something you can do with a decent investment in equipment and you can tow your Kart on a trailer behind the Corolla. Most of the Formula 1 and other top racers started in Karts because the experience is very similar to those at the top levels of racing.

Next, get yourself a Haynes manual for your car: (http://www.haynes.com/repairmanuals/toyota/corolla) and a small Metric toolset from Sears or even Harbor Freight and start doing routine maintenance on your car (change your oil, brake pads, etc.) You may not enjoy doing it, which is fine, but you can understand the process so that you don't get hosed when you take it to a shop for repairs.

Of course, feel free to comment here and ask questions. That's how you learn, ask questions and researching things.

Good luck!

FifthGear2014
FifthGear2014 New Reader
2/4/14 6:33 p.m.

Yea i am not gonna do it on the streets im gonna do it on a track but get our cars saftey inspected first to make sure there all In OK or GREAT condition to be pushed to there limits.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/4/14 6:34 p.m.

What is your budget like?

FifthGear2014
FifthGear2014 New Reader
2/4/14 6:36 p.m.

Lol Idk i could put alot of nice things on there for sure but i dont want to take value away from the car because sooner or later i wanna trade it in on something newer and faster.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/4/14 6:37 p.m.
FifthGear2014 wrote: Yea i am not gonna do it on the streets im gonna do it on a track but get our cars saftey inspected first to make sure there all In OK or GREAT condition to be pushed to there limits.

That's part of an Autocross weekend, they tech the cars before they let them on the track.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
2/4/14 6:39 p.m.

Does by any chance the OP have the same IP address as the Toyota echo guy (stop the econobox, beaterworld, etc), or the angry 302 firebird guy, or the turbine powered ford fusion?

FifthGear2014
FifthGear2014 New Reader
2/4/14 6:41 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

Right ill do that before i do anything like that ill get it professionally inspected

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
2/4/14 6:42 p.m.
FifthGear2014 wrote: Lol Idk i could put alot of nice things on there for sure but i dont want to take value away from the car because sooner or later i wanna trade it in on something newer and faster.

You'll appreciate opening her up on a track with no worry of injury or legal problems more than performance equipment.

FifthGear2014
FifthGear2014 New Reader
2/4/14 6:46 p.m.

Yea im just hoping nothing goes wrong mechanically i know nothings wrong with the car lol but i am very excited but just hoping nothing goes wrong.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
2/4/14 6:49 p.m.

It'll be a learning experience.

You haven't lived until you've spent eight hours underneath a car in 100 degree weather.

FifthGear2014
FifthGear2014 New Reader
2/4/14 6:51 p.m.

Haha the weathers not that abd down here high 80s i wish it was low to high 60s all year round

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
2/4/14 6:53 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: It'll be a learning experience. You haven't lived until you've spent eight hours underneath a car in 100 degree weather.

and had a couple jack stands collapse 30 seconds after you.get out from under it.

FifthGear2014
FifthGear2014 New Reader
2/4/14 7:06 p.m.

What kind of cars do you all have?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
2/4/14 7:09 p.m.

Click our names and select garage. You'll see our cars.

FifthGear2014
FifthGear2014 New Reader
2/4/14 7:14 p.m.

Nice

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/4/14 7:14 p.m.

Here's my 2 cents. Its a nice car. Way too nice for a 16 year old to practice wrenching on. So either:

• Enjoy it as is (which you will because its your first car!) and probably way nicer than anything your 16 year old friends have, or

• Sell it and spend some of the money to buy a beater and then enroll in shop class and get qualified help from your instructor to modify it with the remaining money.

First option cheap, easy and lots of behind the wheel trouble free fun.

Second option expensive, hard, frustrating, and you will most likely not wind up with anything so reliable and pleasant to drive as a late model Honda. But you will learn a lot and if you are the kind of 16 year old who can see something through you might build a really nice unique car.

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uCWzGrtmT3uep4QwzI8KEKFI4V6fSoGf8pCxI7S7KObctnmheqAFJKRpIagICA3c