weedburner
weedburner Reader
10/13/24 2:41 p.m.

Headed down SR 20 to a local burger joint on a Friday nite in November 2023, when a lifted Toyota Tundra traveling in the opposite direction crossed into my lane. Narrowly avoided a 60+mph head-on collision, but still made heavy contact. In this pic I was coming from the opposite direction rounding this curve, while the Tundra was coming from this direction and drifted across my lane...

The sideswipe impact almost ripped the rearend out of my car. Rubber marks down the driver's door, even rubber on my driver's side rear view mirror. The impact ripped the LF tire off the Tundra and bent the spindle....

Primary damage was a severely bent the axle and axle tube, also spun the axle tube in the center housing. If the axle tube had not spun, the chassis damage would have been much worse...

When the tube spun, it wrapped the shock around the axle tube and ripped the brake line off. Single master cyl, so had to spin the car around to avoid hitting the end of that cement bridge. Engine spun backwards slowing the car down, spit fuel all over the valve covers and intake...

Click on the link to see my webpage that details the rebuild process, not often you see an RX-7 with wide5 wheels... https://grannys.tripod.com/shopmule2024.html

Grant

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/13/24 4:14 p.m.

Glad you weren't hurt. So, did the Toyota try to claim you caused the wreck?

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
10/13/24 6:44 p.m.

This is why I run a dash cam in my camaro. Even though I drive it like a little old lady on the road it just has a look. It looks like I was doing whatever you were accusing me of doing.

Even if you were doing everything right they can claim you were racing and the cops would probably believe them.

weedburner
weedburner Reader
10/13/24 9:20 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

Glad you weren't hurt. So, did the Toyota try to claim you caused the wreck?

Thanks! There were plenty of witnesses, lucky no one else was caught up in it. Kid didn't have insurance, but first one without insurance that actually came thru with any cash. He gave me $1000 that Sunday, then I spent 5k putting it back on the road :)

Grant

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/24 7:02 p.m.

In reply to weedburner :

At first, I thought the super wide torque arm was a bit much, but then I saw that you used it to also function as a driveshaft loop and thought it was brilliant.  I might borrow that idea someday!

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/14/24 8:14 p.m.

Going off on a tangent: those brake discs. Is the car set up specifically for drag racing?

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 Reader
10/14/24 8:31 p.m.

Valve covers? I'm guessing that you no longer have the rotary in the car, especially looking at the wheelies you were pulling at Evergreen Speedway. 

weedburner
weedburner Reader
10/15/24 10:29 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to weedburner :

At first, I thought the super wide torque arm was a bit much, but then I saw that you used it to also function as a driveshaft loop and thought it was brilliant.  I might borrow that idea someday!

Here a better shot of the torque arm, this pic was taken back before the engine was set back 10" in the car...

Effective as a driveline loop...

...here you can see where the paint is all scratched up from flailing around inside the shackles. Torque arm/shackles suffered no damage. Had one of my kids come pick me up at the track, went home and built another driveshaft @ 3:00am, then went back and drove the car home.

Grant

weedburner
weedburner Reader
10/15/24 10:43 a.m.
kb58 said:

Going off on a tangent: those brake discs. Is the car set up specifically for drag racing?

It is basically just a fun street toy that's set up for zero-prep back-roads drag launches. I live far from a strip, use the car to develop my clutch control products for drag racers. I have since switched to conventional round rotors on this car...

Grant

weedburner
weedburner Reader
10/15/24 10:58 a.m.
RacerBoy75 said:

Valve covers? I'm guessing that you no longer have the rotary in the car, especially looking at the wheelies you were pulling at Evergreen Speedway. 

A little 355sbc with 2 stages of nitrous, set back 10" into the firewall...

Here's a link to a page with more details about the car... https://grannys.tripod.com/20102.html

Grant

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/15/24 11:20 a.m.

Cool car! You're the "granny's" that used to offer v8 swap parts for RX7s, right?

weedburner
weedburner Reader
10/15/24 12:11 p.m.
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) said:

Cool car! You're the "granny's" that used to offer v8 swap parts for RX7s, right?

That's me from early '90's to around 2019, I have since transitioned to my ClutchTamer and Hitmaster clutch control products for drag racers.

Here's a link... https://clutchtamer.com

Grant

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/16/24 7:06 a.m.

In reply to weedburner :

You custom built the front 5.0 sway bar for my 84 GSL, if you recall. I already had the full swap kit but my pulley was interfering with the sway bar.

RX8racer
RX8racer New Reader
10/16/24 11:28 a.m.
weedburner said:
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) said:

That's me from early '90's to around 2019, I have since transitioned to my ClutchTamer and Hitmaster clutch control products for drag racers.

Here's a link... ClutchTamer.com

Grant

FYI Seems like your site or DNS is broken 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/16/24 11:58 a.m.

That's a hot little rx7! Glad you're okay and you obviously have to skill to fix it. 

weedburner said:
RacerBoy75 said:

A little 355sbc with 2 stages of nitrous, set back 10" into the firewall...

Here's a link to a page with more details about the car... https://grannys.tripod.com/20102.html

Grant

It's weird when you recognize gas stations and other places on the internet.

weedburner
weedburner Reader
10/16/24 3:44 p.m.
RX8racer said: FYI Seems like your site or DNS is broken 

...works now... https://clutchtamer.com

weedburner
weedburner Reader
10/16/24 3:51 p.m.
iansane said:

That's a hot little rx7! Glad you're okay and you obviously have to skill to fix it.

It's weird when you recognize gas stations and other places on the internet.

Already fixed the broken bones, but left the scars to remind me what could have happened...

Here's the link showing pics of the repairs/upgrades I did to get it back on the road...

https://grannys.tripod.com/shopmule2024.html

Grant

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6HxADCKLJDc35CeTfe9rCfMka6mzhDKbR9T1h1dYRBg0fuy4Dh4crY6wRxpstZ0u