1 2
griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
12/21/11 11:39 a.m.

I've been thinking of trading off my '01 Impreza RS for awhile now, mostly due to the gas mileage. I still love my Subie, but with a decent commute and delivering pizzas with it it's a bit pricey at the gas pump. Earlier today I made a delivery to one of the local car dealers and asked what they may be able to do on a title swap. Well tehy had just gotten in an '01 Focus ZX3. So, what says the wise GRM brain trust?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
12/21/11 11:53 a.m.

I like um. There's a good following for Zetec engines.

Check out ZxTuner.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/21/11 12:48 p.m.

I'd do it only for the gas savings.

The cheap aftermarket, cheap parts in the junkyard and other factors would just be gravy.

Hal
Hal Dork
12/21/11 1:15 p.m.

Gas mileage will be better.
Tons of aftermarket stuff available.
Plenty of them in the JY now for other parts.

At 100K it should have had or will need a timing belt, tensioner and "while you are in there" a water pump.

A very good resource is : Focaljet.com

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
12/21/11 1:18 p.m.

Had a ZX3 for a couple years. A bit rattly but pretty dependable - the only fixes it needed were an cabin filter air box mod so it wouldn't leak on my feet when it rained, and a new handbrake (ordered a leather SVT handle from Steeda instead of a stock one as that was about half the price). Nice econobox, and they're practically giving those things away now.

64chrysler300
64chrysler300 New Reader
12/21/11 1:35 p.m.

I've got a 2011...they're still rattly. Of course, I drive mine on dirt roads all the time (no pavement where I live) so that just might contribute to all the squeaks and rattles . Yeah, the local stealer bent over backwards to make us a deal...the '12's were on the way. 34 hwy average and the 5spd is soooo much better than a slugbox.

Brett_Murphy
12/21/11 1:48 p.m.

Heck, you should be able to sell your RS for more than you'd pay for the Focus.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
12/21/11 1:51 p.m.

My 08 isn't rattly!

I haven't driven a lowered focus, buy my lowered Zx2 (front only) handles a ton better.

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
12/21/11 1:54 p.m.

I think they said it's got about 66k miles right now. Any problem areas I should look for? I'm aware of the aftermarket support that's one of the reasons I'm considering the trade. Problem with selling the Impreza is that it's currently my only vehicle. So, there is the delay potential between selling the current and buying another car in which I would have no way to work. I admit having a nice profit to work with would be nice for paying some bills. So, if anyone wants to buy an '01 RS with 126k for a few grand let me know.

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
12/21/11 8:23 p.m.

Now that I been home from work for a bit and checked back in with the dealer, I'm both wanting the Focus and doubtful of a deal happening. Hell, just looking at the Ford Racing Performance Parts website is full of fun deals, like an SVT suspension kit with springs, shocks, sway bars and tophats for $350. I could actually afford to do some fun modifications to the Focus that I can't quite do with the Subaru. However, when checking back in with the dealer, they were saying things like when you come back in tomorrow we'll have a few choices that should work. So, I'll go into town tomorrow, but I doubt I'll be having a new fun toy.

EDIT: My bad just double checked and the SVT suspension kit does not include sways, but that is still a good price for a new OEM upgrade.

wrc_fan
wrc_fan New Reader
12/21/11 9:39 p.m.

I enjoy my foci, I recommend ones with the 2.3L motor. The SVT kit is a good upgrade and a 22mm RSB will produce a nice handling DD. I've been looking for an RS, always wanted one, maybe a trade :)

alex
alex SuperDork
12/21/11 9:50 p.m.

I have an '00 ZX3 that my family bought new, now with about 175k on it, and aside from recalls done eons ago, it has never given us an iota of trouble. It has survived neglect in the hands of less-than-maintenance-savvy young owners (my sister and I) without a hiccup.

I swapped on the SVT suspension about 5 years ago (it's about time I went back in an refreshed the shocks), which transformed the car. Actually, my girlfriend and I had this ZX3 and an '04 SVT at the same time, and although the SVT was nicer all around (aside from grenading the tensioner pulley and eating the valves) the ZX3 felt much more light and nimble with significantly sharper turn-in than the SVT, due almost entirely, I'm sure, to the smaller wheels and tires.

Early Foci are being given away right now, so it pays to be picky. But if you find a good one, you'll have quite an entertaining little econobox to toss around.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
12/21/11 10:01 p.m.

I've got an 03 wagon with the 2.0 DOHC. I've owned it for a year and 10,000 miles now and all I've had to do are brakes and a quick brake light wiring fix. It's been boring but dead reliable. My only complaint is a bit of a rough idle I can't seem to track down.

FWIW, i'm only getting 24mpg in town driving. I can probably blame part of that on the slushbox.

Pbw
Pbw New Reader
12/21/11 10:03 p.m.
Hal wrote: Gas mileage will be better. Tons of aftermarket stuff available. Plenty of them in the JY now for other parts. At 100K it should have had or will need a timing belt, tensioner and "while you are in there" a water pump. A very good resource is : Focaljet.com

Based on my experience with "blacktop" zetec there is zero need to do the water pump during a timing belt change. The water pump is external to the timing belt and timing belt housing. Just remove accessory belt and unbolt the pump. You could do it in 15-20 minutes!

On timing belt job you do need the cam and crank alignment tools. Several after market companies sale these cheap and it makes the job a snap.

frankenstangsghost
frankenstangsghost New Reader
12/21/11 10:11 p.m.

In reply to Pbw:

The X-Wife Select drives an '05 SES Wagon. Only problems we've had in 90k were the alternator puked, the battery because of the first and the driver's window switches. Good car overall. I hope she enjoys it, last car I'll ever buy her. It's an auto. Never gotten better than 30 MPG on the HWY. More like 28.

mthomson22
mthomson22 New Reader
12/22/11 7:32 a.m.

More good reading

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/

duetto_67
duetto_67 New Reader
12/22/11 7:48 a.m.

'03 SVT w/160k mi has recent work:

timing belt change, intake manifold module rebuild (not on standard focus), rear wheel bearings

otherwise a nice car, pretty good handling for FWD, and minimum 29 mpg in mostly city driving. sweet car, it was a good choice.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
12/22/11 8:41 a.m.
wrc_fan wrote: I enjoy my foci, I recommend ones with the 2.3L motor. The SVT kit is a good upgrade and a 22mm RSB will produce a nice handling DD. I've been looking for an RS, always wanted one, maybe a trade :)

Like this one (sorry not for sale).

^ Running Steeda lowering springs but thinking about switching to the SVT kit for a better DD ride. I think I've got 30-32mpg every tank since I bought it a few months ago, no matter how I drive it. It's got a CAI and cat-back but that's it.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
12/22/11 9:21 a.m.
duetto_67 wrote: '03 SVT w/160k mi has recent work: timing belt change, intake manifold module rebuild (not on standard focus), rear wheel bearings otherwise a nice car, pretty good handling for FWD, and minimum 29 mpg in mostly city driving. sweet car, it was a good choice.

I've been thinking of swapping some SVT parts into the Zx2. The head and exhaust are swapable.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
12/22/11 9:33 a.m.

In reply to fastEddie:

I remember that one. Automatic because you're disabled?

SVTF
SVTF Reader
12/22/11 9:35 a.m.
griffin729 wrote: just looking at the Ford Racing Performance Parts website is full of fun deals, like an SVT suspension kit with springs, shocks, sway bars and tophats for $350. My bad just double checked and the SVT suspension kit does not include sways, but that is still a good price for a new OEM upgrade.

You can get the whole shabang for ~$250 plus shipping. Go here: http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=AccessoryCatalog&catalogid=5684&siteid=214771&categoryID=120038&subcat1=120318

If you call ask for Steve - great guy, great prices and Focus SVT driver t'boot.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
12/22/11 5:23 p.m.

Depending on the year, not all Foci have the zetec engine. Some of the first ones had the SPI and later ones have the Duratech. There also was some mix and match, depending on transmissions and the part of the country. The 2.3 Duratech is rather rare.

Brett_Murphy
12/23/11 8:40 a.m.

I've been perusing these, and it is pretty easy to tell which ones have a DOHC engine in them.

A lot of the Ztecs say "zetec" on them, but I understand some don't. What is the best way to identify the 2.3?

2004 or later car and....?

Fletch1
Fletch1 HalfDork
12/23/11 8:50 a.m.

I'm wanting so bad to build a sweet zx3 with the 2.3L Duratec. I always thought they cool in rally form. You can get the SVT suspension for $305!!!

http://specfocus.drivenasa.com/setups.htm

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
12/23/11 8:54 a.m.

In reply to Fletch1:

Got my front Eibach springs for 50. Now, thats grassroots!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LzDEFykjxrcTu1R8KKZ4XadjRBfdW76lo43fuFdvhyFkrtguNvi6KvZl5KbU05Af