ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
11/24/11 11:59 a.m.

if anyone remembers the tread about me talking about my s-10 beaing totaled a couple of weeks ago i now have a ndew ride as of last night. i picker up a 98 isuzu rodeo witha v6, auto, and 4x4. they listed it for $1995 and got it for $2158 out the door last night for a dealer ship down in chitown somewhere. it is a one owner car and very little rust on on it anywhere. runs and drives well though along with brand new tires which if good. the brakes seem good. the down side is the front window has a crack and a couple of lights need new bulbs. i might have to get longer slide rails for the drivers seat. i am going to drive it a couple of days and see if it as cramped as it seemed on the drive home last night. on a different note i have to show pics of the rental i got to play with for the 2 weeks. a brand new jeep wrangler 5 foor with 2600 miles on it when i got it..it will almost 4000 when i give it back. lots of driving looking for a new car this past week.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
11/24/11 12:02 p.m.

the rental i got upgraded to for free and got to play with. a brand new jeep...

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
11/24/11 12:04 p.m.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
11/24/11 12:06 p.m.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
11/24/11 12:08 p.m.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
11/24/11 12:10 p.m.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
11/24/11 5:42 p.m.

Neat rig. Still sucks about the S10, but the Rodeo should serve you well. I had a coworker get 350k miles out of a '98 before the engine finally used more oil than gas.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Reader
11/24/11 5:46 p.m.

Is that a rebadged Chevy like the trucks were?

E_AT_me
E_AT_me New Reader
11/24/11 8:51 p.m.

sorry to be "that guy" but there is a huge recall on those years about the rear suspension rusting away and breaking free. i was looking at 98+ passports, same rig, and i ran away after looking at the horror stories and seeing how many were and are affected. google search pics and i hope i didn't just ruin your day.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
11/24/11 9:17 p.m.

I was an Isuzu service advisor for 5 years. Those are tough well built long lasting vehicles but are not real sophisticated.

The rust recall affects only salt state cars.

There was an earlier recall that was not for rust; the rear suspension bolts did not have self locking nuts and they could work their way loose. The ABS module had a programming problem which would cause the brake pedal to sink to the floor if the rear wheels got off the ground over bumps. The recall involved replacing the module, it was not possible to reprogram it. It's probably been done already.

It's not a rebadged Chevy, that was the Ascender (Trailblazer).

1998 is the first year for that engine (3.2 DOHC V6) and some of them could gobble oil due to PCV valve failure. Look on the left valve cover near the oil fill cap, if it's a push in plastic PCV that's the one that gave problems. If it's a threaded metal one, that's the one that fixed the problem. If it's gone 228K it's not real likely you'll have any oil consumption problems.

You might hear horror stories about a plug blowing out of the side of the transmission. That was only the late 2004 4L30's, just before Isuzu switched to the Aisin Warner (same transmission that was in the little box Cherokees).

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
11/24/11 10:22 p.m.

MMmmm....Box Flares......

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
11/25/11 8:25 p.m.

thanks guys. i am going to lokk thing over this next week under her and get aan idea of what i am looking at for issues.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VFC9gMC2EbyZLIM0nhLZeBM3wvm45swEe3hy3rS9Y4nTUWpwfE9t8X5FyOhwjBHH