chaparral
chaparral SuperDork
4/12/24 8:53 p.m.

The automatic Miata usually gets a dismissive one-liner review as part of the manual car's test, but I was surprised by the acceleration. It has a nice short first gear plus a torque converter. Hand-timing a 0-60 run with an 1800 rpm brake-torque launch showed 5 seconds flat. Have you seen any instrumented tests? Would it be a ringer for really tight autocross courses?

calteg
calteg SuperDork
4/13/24 8:59 a.m.

It's possible. The auto GR86 did shockingly well on track 

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
4/13/24 1:04 p.m.

I've never seen a magazine test an auto Miata. Not once in any generation. 

Interesting information. I mean most if not all autos are quicker than manuals these days, so I suppose this would make sense.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/13/24 1:48 p.m.

What model year defines the ND2?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
4/13/24 1:52 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

2019 through current, IIRC

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/24 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I suspect we're going to see the 2024s referred to as ND3s as they have visible changes.

Something like 1/3 of NDs are automatics, and it's a higher proportion for the RFs - close to half if memory serves. I'm casually looking for a black RF GT and boy howdy are the stick shifts thin on the ground. I'd be okay buying an automatic one given my future plans except that I'm not 100% sure I wouldn't have to do some retroengineering to deal with the auto in a future swap.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
4/13/24 5:44 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Interesting, what's the significant change in '24?

Keith Tanner
4/13/24 6:05 p.m.

New headlights, new interior stuff, new rear diff, new steering rack. 

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
4/15/24 7:05 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

New headlights, new interior stuff, new rear diff, new steering rack. 

And a new shade of gray because the existing color palette was too exciting! 

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
4/15/24 1:26 p.m.
calteg said:

It's possible. The auto GR86 did shockingly well on track 

Not that this is the end all be all of lap times by any means, but it may also be worth noting that the auto FRZ86 also retains a limited slip... The auto Miata does not.

Even if the auto actually has a 0-60 advantage over the manual, call me skeptical at it actually being that quick under more controlled conditions.

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
4/15/24 2:30 p.m.

Good to know about the lack of LSD. That's a shame.

Keith Tanner
4/15/24 3:11 p.m.

Retrofittable. Mazda has never put LSDs in auto Miatas. 

rdcyclist
4/15/24 3:15 p.m.

What are the differences over the years in Miata final drives? Ratios between MT and AT? Are the RX and Miata FD's interchangeable? Sorta like how the Datsun/Nissan FD's were in the 70's...

Keith Tanner
4/15/24 3:25 p.m.
rdcyclist said:

What are the differences over the years in Miata final drives? Ratios between MT and AT? Are the RX and Miata FD's interchangeable? Sorta like how the Datsun/Nissan FD's were in the 70's...

"Over the years" as in since 1990? Ranged from 4.3 to 3.636 until 2016 and were easily interchangeable on the NA/NB. I think the same ring and pinion could be used on the NC as well, but it's a different housing.

The ND saw a significant change because the new manual transmission has a 1:1 6th gear - no overdrive. So it has a fairly tall 2.866 final drive. The auto uses a 3.586. I don't believe either of these is interchangable with the earlier cars, I'd have to dig into the specs and check the diameter.

rdcyclist
4/15/24 7:28 p.m.

Thanks Keith! That tall FD would be useful on a BEC Locost if it was adaptable to the earlier suspension system...

Keith Tanner
4/15/24 7:35 p.m.

If you can build a Locost, you can make the diff fit :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vKi0Drz8YiF0ppLcf2fIyGVaFJmU8FNidUv8jIUWg3mD8HdGq15P6MU0q7xrOcmO