Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
6/11/09 6:38 p.m.

Hey guys,

I have a friend at work that doesn't always use his brain. For the past few weeks he has been on a search for a fun car. He bought a 98 Corolla VE about 4-5 months ago as a fun car(I thought that car was the polar opposite of fun when he bought it) that he could use to commute with instead of his Element. Well he has not been thrilled with the Corolla,and was on the look out for a CRX Si like the one he used to have many years ago. For some reason he wanted one with an engine swap,and go-fast ricer goodies on it already because he doesn't know much about cars,and would rather have the work already done. I though tthis was dumb,and suggested he look at other cars like the all-mighty Miata.

He thought that was a good choice,and started the CL search. Well it turns out that even worn out 1st gen cars around here(New England) garner a fair amount of money. I suggested looking into a 94-95 model because I was pretty sure they had the larger rear end,and the 1.8 litre engine. I found one for him in RI that fit that description,and agreed to look at it with him when I had the time if it were still available.

Fast forward to today,and he calls me telling me he bout a 92 in Boston for $4000. It's black with tan interior,and top. The top I guess is a couple of years old,and has the glass window in it. He told me last night while bringing it home that the car was vibrating badly at 65mph(he only test drove it at 55mph,and lower). He isn't sure what it could be,and neither am I without sitting in it,and experiencing it.

The biggest issue though is the title. I swear you have to be really dumb to have this happen to you,but the guy signed the title in his name on the back,but the title is in his wife's name. Also he apparently filled out his address in the buyers address section which is a big no-no as far as I know in MA. The kid called the guy today to see what he could do about this title issue,and maybe even bring the car back,but the guy gave him a story about how last night after my friend left with the car he went to a dealer,and put the money down as a deposit on a new car for his wife. This is BS in my book as my friend said he left at around 9pm. What dealer is open that late?

So now my friend is stuck with maybe a suspect Miata,and no easy way to title it in his name. All because he didn't wait for me to go with him to look it over,and not looking at the title before bringing the car home. What would you do? By the way he didn't get a Bill of Sale either which is pretty much SOP in MA.

Chris

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/11/09 6:55 p.m.

The "65-mph Shimmy" is most likely one or more unbalanced wheels. Go to a decent tire shop and have them re-check and balance the wheels. If that doesn't do it, they may be out of round. Or, a common cause of unbalanced wheels is having one oversized (and heavier) locking lug nut. Alignment can also affect that some, too.

I would go to the DMV (or equivalent in your state) and ask them what he can do.

Or, see if the seller would be willing to sign a bill-of sale and fax it or send you a scan.

Actually, it all may be a moot point because you might not legally own the car. If the title was in the wife's name, I think she needs to be the one to sell it. If she didn't sign it over, it wasn't sold legally.

You'll need to work something out with them to clear that up. Or, if you really don't want the car, take them to court for a refund and return.

$4k sounds like a lot for a '92. We just spent that on a '99 for my dad. '94+ did get the bigger rear end, brakes, and 1.8l.

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
6/11/09 7:13 p.m.

I suspect this guy will be learning several expensive things about used car purchases, unfortunately. I would go back to the guys house to correct the paper work. Never heard of anyone returning a used car.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
6/11/09 7:32 p.m.

Sounds like "one of those types." You know refuses to listen to people who know what they are talking about types.

Hopefully this lesson won't be too expensive.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
6/11/09 8:10 p.m.

I don't claim to be an expert in cars,or Miata's,but I do know RX-7's real well,and could figure out if any car is a good buy,or not regardless of the brand/model. I have no idea why he didn't wait for me to help him after he asked,and asked me. I told him no problem,but with a wife,and kids I can't just drop everything,and go look at a car at a moments notice. I talked him out of driving to Pittsburgh last weekend to buy a $5000 CRX that had obvious large holes in the chassis. He was all set to go get it in one day out,and back,and I said hold on a sec son,you may want to re-think that one.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/11/09 9:02 p.m.

As long as the buyer is happy with the price, it's cool. Black and tan is kinda pretty, too...

Second the comment about wheel/tire balance and roundness. That's where the shimmy comes from.

As for the title, the PO needs to get that sorted. Probably has to get a duplicate from the state. It's not that hard a process, but it's going to take some persuasion of the PO because he's the one that's going to have to do the work. If your friend checks on the process and makes it as easy as possible, that will help a lot.

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
6/11/09 9:39 p.m.

Don't be surprised if the title is some time coming, especially if they need a reissued one. Getting a reissued title is a PITA. My pal almost gave me his beater Neon (and really, what other kind is there?), but he didn't have the title and the NH DMV kept dragging their heels about getting a reissue. A month later, I said screw it, it's not worth it.

Two OTs: Miatas are pricey here in Mass, even beater ones. My $1500 RX-7 is in better shape than some $2000 Miatas I've seen.

My ex-g/f owned a 98 Corolla VE. Beige/beige/autotragic. Tangible proof that all non-sportscar Toyotas should come with a "may cause drowsyness" warning.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
6/11/09 10:02 p.m.

Worst case is your friend just learned a $4000 lesson. Sometimes (all times?) stupidity should be painful and expensive.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/12/09 9:04 a.m.

So are you going to be there to save him the next time? Stop enabling him and let him solve his problem. I hate to say it but he sounds like a bit of an idiot and a tad self centered.

1. Does not understand your situation (kids wife etc)
  2. Does not make sure the paperwork is proper before hading over the $$$$.

As my dad said years ago. "Stepping in it grows character. Cleaning the shoe afterwords grows a man"

iceracer
iceracer Reader
6/12/09 10:24 a.m.

If someone ask me for advice, then says no that is not it or they ignore my advice, I just say" then why did you ask me in the first place ?"

TJ
TJ Reader
6/12/09 12:41 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: So are you going to be there to save him the next time? Stop enabling him and let him solve his problem. I hate to say it but he sounds like a bit of an idiot and a tad self centered. 1. Does not understand your situation (kids wife etc) 2. Does not make sure the paperwork is proper before hading over the $$$$. As my dad said years ago. "Stepping in it grows character. Cleaning the shoe afterwords grows a man"

You can grow a man from E36 M3?

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
6/13/09 12:12 a.m.

$4000 '92 Miata?? He should have bought that 89 CRX Si in VT I found. It would probably be worth more than the Otter in 10 yrs, if your friend would be smart enough to hang on to it that long. . .

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
6/13/09 12:51 a.m.
iceracer wrote: If someone ask me for advice, then says no that is not it or they ignore my advice, I just say" then why did you ask me in the first place ?"

x2. Hate to say it Mazdax605, but your friend is about to learn a serious lesson about older cars. I just hope it doesn't turn him off to the hobby in general. What could most of us here have accomplished with $4K?

What am I saying? Look at the Challenge articles to see what some folks can do with half that!

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
6/13/09 7:25 a.m.

You just need to talk with the right people at the RMV. Check your PM's

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
6/13/09 11:36 a.m.

I agree guys,but it wasn't my money,and if it were I would have found a much better deal. I know I could have got him a better car at a better price,but he didn't wait.

Chris

Volksroddin
Volksroddin HalfDork
6/13/09 7:02 p.m.

Miata, was I right? Sorry had to do it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i7CANxhIdAfxjB8kfVNmqv6Jnny5o9jDhb0tES3wBuvFIxoTIkspsKoEtlfOnr1C