1 2
GillesDecourse
GillesDecourse New Reader
2/16/17 9:33 p.m.

We are building a very low budget off-road-only crawler/buggy for a friend of mine and we need a cheap solution for a fuel tank. It started life as a 2004 ford ranger, the original plastic fuel tank was way too big to fit (we will not put it in its original location), so we cut both sides so that it looks like a cube now, we used parts we cut off to make 2 roughly 1.5'x1.5' sheets to cap the sides. We sent it to a bodyshop to have them plastic weld the seams but it didn't work out as the seams don't match perfectly as the tank and the sheets have a slight curve to them, so there is a 1" gap in some places. I want to use some kind of fiberglass or resin to lay over all the seams and gaps to seal the tank. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to use or better ideas appart from buying a fuel cell? We like the advantage of the stock tank having the internal pump/sending unit and internal baffles. It's ok if it lasts a year or two. Thanks!

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
2/16/17 9:53 p.m.

Buy a fuel cell....

Avoid the Flambe'

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/17 9:56 p.m.

I will be "that guy". Get a cell. There are places to be cheap. This is not the place.

Otherwise start cralling the web for a tank from another vehicle that is close to the size you want.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
2/16/17 10:32 p.m.

Buy a cheap fuel cell or get a tank from a small car in the junkyard, you're literally playing with fire here.

I think plastic gas tanks are HDPE anyways, most adhesives won't stick to it.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/16/17 10:45 p.m.

You are where?

'Glass isn't going to work. Get cheap fuel cell.

GillesDecourse
2/16/17 10:49 p.m.

I understand, I am wondering if there is a good way to make it work intelligently instead of spending 180$ on a fuel cell, since I don't know much about fiberglass or expoxy products and saw plastic tank repair kits used to patch cracks or holes in tanks I thought there would be a good or safe product that I could make work on my own without the risk of having it leak in the trails. I have been actively looking for some time for a used fuel cell with no luck. I don't live in the states and they are less common here. 180$ was the cheapest I found for a 5 gal cell shipped to my door, just looking to see if there are other options. The idea of using a tank from another car is good and has been thought about, but they are all pretty much the same shape and size and we haven't found one that would work or fit so far. Thanks I apreciate your input!

GillesDecourse
2/16/17 10:51 p.m.

I am in northeast Canada, well I guess that pretty much answers my question I don't think there is a way afterall! We may try some more tricks with plastic welding while looking for a fuel cell in the mean time, thanks guys!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/16/17 10:53 p.m.

Do you have any shops that make or repair gas tanks? Could get a custom one made. I'd suggest a fuel bladder, but those are insanely expensive.

GillesDecourse
2/16/17 11:01 p.m.

Not that I'm aware of but I haven't looked hard, I found a website suggesting to use plastic from detergent bottles as they are made from HDPE as well to make welding rods, and will expand and contract with the tank, and to use a wide soldering iron to dissipate heat, we might just give it a go then pressure test the tank for a while, what do you guys think? I think it is the safest and most durable way. If it works then great, if we screw up the tank even more oh well.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
2/16/17 11:06 p.m.

Maybe look around for a tank off a commercial-type lawn mower or snow blower or Bobcat or something like that.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
2/17/17 1:21 a.m.

What kind of shape and size are you looking for? Pics of the vehicle and the space you have to work with might help. Somebody here will know what would make a good donor.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/17/17 3:09 a.m.

Boat fuel tank?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/17/17 3:57 a.m.

Beer keg. Hot rod do do it all the time.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/17/17 3:58 a.m.

Beer keg. Hot rod do do it all the time.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
2/17/17 5:30 a.m.

Convert to propane!

Propane doesn't care if the truck is on its side or upside down.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
2/17/17 6:23 a.m.

Or modify the propane tank to hold the ranger sending unit and fuel pump. Cheap, steel, easy to weld. A portable air tank would work too.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
2/17/17 6:30 a.m.

Ebay has cheap fuel cells.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/17 6:36 a.m.

Amazon has these for $40. 6 gallons.

Substantially safer than a welded plastic tank. Substantially cheaper than a fuel cell.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/17/17 7:35 a.m.

Take a walk around the Pick n Pull.

Our local PnP removes and drains all the fuel tanks, they're stacked like cord wood, easy pickin.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/17 7:43 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Amazon has these for $40. 6 gallons. Substantially safer than a welded plastic tank. Substantially cheaper than a fuel cell.

Back before numerous economic downturns killed off the very lowest-budget racers by me, most of them were running either boat tanks like this or a plastic "well cell."

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
2/17/17 7:48 a.m.

Dude, this group of guys will tell you to do something stupid, like fly across the country, to drive a BiTurbo home. So, they're a great (terrible?) bunch of enablers.

When they tell you NOT to attempt to fabricate a fuel holding container, berking heed their berking advice!

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/17/17 7:53 a.m.

The only thing cheaper than free advice, are the cheapskates on this forum. Myself included. Buy proper safety gear.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
2/17/17 8:01 a.m.
RealMiniParker wrote: Dude, this group of guys will tell you to do something stupid, like fly across the country, to drive a BiTurbo home. So, they're a great (terrible?) bunch of enablers. When they tell you NOT to attempt to fabricate a fuel holding container, berking heed their berking advice!

Advice i didn't take. I blew up the gas tank. But only a little.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
2/17/17 6:41 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: Amazon has these for $40. 6 gallons. Substantially safer than a welded plastic tank. Substantially cheaper than a fuel cell.
Back before numerous economic downturns killed off the very lowest-budget racers by me, most of them were running either boat tanks like this or a plastic "well cell."

Crappy tire sells these pretty cheap. I was looking to get a small one to plumb into my Honda Pacific Coast before I broke down and bought a new Kawi.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
2/17/17 6:43 p.m.
GillesDecourse wrote: I am in northeast Canada,

What part of Northeast Canada?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nj8Rz2DDCebSsr8eFwGKjK5xCu7IQgAVz8MrlU1dxJXQSs5bdxRnpVPivahbNecM