1 2 3
FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
7/23/11 10:09 p.m.

Thanks, I will probably do an oil change on every oil in the car at the next service. Maybe a good time to do it.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/23/11 10:53 p.m.

+1 on fixing it with Carfax, I did that with a title that was incorrectly categorized as "SALVAGED" when the title was completely clear. I had to provide the documentation, but in the end they reviewed it and corrected the information. However, it's a pain that the burden of proof is in your court.

Congrats on the X3, sounds like you got a great one! Enjoy it!

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
7/24/11 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Datsun1500:

Thanks!!! I have the BMW service records which contradict the Carfax

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
7/24/11 9:41 a.m.

In reply to dj06482:

Thanks I am extremely pleased with how it handles and the fuel economy it gets.

Had torrential down pours last night, hydroplaned some and it was predictable. Xdrive works fine.

It is a very eager car. doesn't like the speed limit, so annoying

Grinch337
Grinch337 New Reader
7/28/11 1:14 p.m.

This thread has been helpful. Im going to look at a 2005 with $84,000 miles as my wife likes it and she needs a car for the next year or so. Im familiar with what BMW's need around this mileage, as I have a E36 M3 and an E30. From what Ive read, these X3's seem to be pretty reliable.

Anything else you can add after driving it more for a few days? Is the suspension overly stiff?

FlightService
FlightService Dork
7/28/11 2:54 p.m.

I would put the suspension between a 5 series and a S2000 on the stiff rating. I find it comfy.

$84,000 is alot for an 05!!! I wouldn't pay more than $19,000 for an 05 with auto and good mileage!!!

I called a buddy of mine that worked for a BMW dealership in ATL, listed window regulators, roof, and normal M54 issues, nothing else. Said I should be happy and he knows how I drive and what I am looking for.

I left one in Charlotte I had negotiated very low if you are interested I can send you the final price. PM me.

Grinch337
Grinch337 New Reader
7/29/11 3:00 p.m.

Lol on my mileage typo. Who wouldnt pay $84,000 for a 6 year old "worst of the worst" BMW.

Anyway, I went to check it out. The specific car is very clean. Its being sold by an older German couple, and they have been pretty good about maintaining it. Its had extra oil changes and all regularly scheduled maintenance, but still has all of the original cooling system parts.

I drove it, and didnt find the ride to be too bad. Its not a sport package car. Its definitely softer than the bilstein equipped E36 M3 and the WRX that we currently have. Then again with those cars I guess were jaded as to what we think of as good ride quality.

The car is going into a local trusted independent place for a PPI on Tuesday. If everything checks out my wife may be driving around in one of these by the end of next week.

To the "get a wagon crew": I have tried on many, many attempts to get my wife to like wagons. After years of trying, I can honestly say I dont think shell ever be converted. All she ever says when I point any type of wagon out to her is "no station wagons." There are some battles I think Im just not going to win.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
7/30/11 12:27 a.m.

X3 is a good compromise from some photos I've seen it is a set of springs and M5 wheels away from being a wagon anyway.

Just drove mine across the Cumberland plateau and got 27.3 at 80 mph

FWIW

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
7/30/11 5:38 a.m.

My opinion? They look horrible, and they're new BMWs, which means they'll break as soon as you take delivery. If you're going to get a crap new BMW, be sure it's an M3 or M5 or something exciting, because otherwise there's very little point.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
7/30/11 8:04 a.m.

So Twin_Cam doesn't like new Bimmers...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XxiLVvlzXnAQBqbuwAQWFkrkbaaB9qWTOOOVa1ObpmVvqjpOUzGppAwmf8yRPkfb