1 2 3 4 5 6
ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
4/14/13 1:00 p.m.

A bit of googling says that I am in a minority of opinions

When I see a truck like this (about 10 times a day) I roll my eyes and mutter something like "sorry about your penis" or "Seriously? what is that good for?"

Yet on the rare occasion I see the same type of truck lowered I rubberneck like a mofo trying to get a better look at it

I guess it helps that when I see them in a parking lot. The lifted ones are parked like inconsiderate dolts up front taking up two spaces and the bagged ones are usually in the back of the lot with a trailer hooked up.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
4/14/13 1:08 p.m.

'We buy stuff we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people we don't like'

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
4/14/13 1:14 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: If it's a purpose built truck for off-road use, it should be transported via trailer just like a purpose built race car.

This, +100

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
4/14/13 4:30 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: Since they're not mine, I don't care what other people do to their vehicles...Right up to the point at which it becomes a safety hazard to me and my family. Any car (including factory built) with a safety structure that sits fully lower than the bumper on any truck has absolutely no business being driven on the road, selfishly endangering the lives of everyone else on the road around them.

Those broad strokes work in both directions.

Don't tailgate my stock-height truck with your NSX.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/13 5:18 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:
Driven5 wrote: Since they're not mine, I don't care what other people do to their vehicles...Right up to the point at which it becomes a safety hazard to me and my family. Any car (including factory built) with a safety structure that sits fully lower than the bumper on any truck has absolutely no business being driven on the road, selfishly endangering the lives of everyone else on the road around them.
Those broad strokes work in both directions. Don't tailgate my stock-height truck with your NSX.

So you're the reason for the high beltlines in the new cars!

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
4/14/13 6:45 p.m.

relevant to this thread:

Today I ran out to do a couple errands. Keep in mind, I live in the Washington DC close-in suburbs. I'm sitting at the light to turn into a shopping center and see some smoke from the line of cars coming perpendicular to me also waiting on the light (long pedestrian signal, nobody moves).

I look closer. There is an F250, stock looking sitting there, and it keeps on "lurching" forward foot by foot as a lot of smoke is coming from the rear (obscuring everything around).

Light turns, I make my turn slowly looking to see what is going on. Oh. Behind it. Another F250. Lifted, big tires, twin stacks out of the bed, ventvisors, and a giant windshield banner that says "Move Bitch Get Out The Way." Really.

To make things better, these guys clearly know each other and the guy in back is PUSHING on the one in front ....just bumping him forward (hence all the smoke pouring out). The driver in front has his head out the window looking back and laughing and the driver in the jacked-up one (I E36 M3 you not, wearing a flatbrim hat) has half his body out the window trying to yell something to his buddy while they're clowning.

Keep in mind, this is at a suburban shopping center next to a gas station and there are about 50 cars nearby either at the light or in line behind them.

To make it better, I drive by thinking "what a couple of tools" and turn into the parking lot, look back, and on the back of the cab the big truck has (in chrome writing) "Bitches Like My Big One." LIght turns, they both kick it like it's a drag start and black smoke everywhere...

All I could do is wish my damn cellphone had a functional camera because I immediately thought of this thread........

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
4/14/13 6:47 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:
Those broad strokes work in both directions. Don't tailgate my stock-height truck with your NSX.

except an NSX rear-ending your truck would be unlikely to be any kind of "safety hazard" to you. Plus it can stop a lot faster than your truck (not true vice-versa)

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
4/14/13 8:25 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Whiplash.

Just sayin'

I totally agree with there being a bumper-height problem on those jacked up trucks but saying that a vehicle, as it left the factory, complying with the applicable safety laws that are in place shouldn't be on the road because it "selfishly endangers others" is an idiotic statement.

Don't drive into the truck.

By the logic in the statement I was replying to, any car that can exceed the maximum posted speed limit "selfishly endangers others".

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
4/14/13 8:46 p.m.

I must be a danger. I can do double any posted speed limit. ARREST ME! Wait... most cars can.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
4/14/13 8:58 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I must be a danger. I can do double any posted speed limit. ARREST ME! Wait... most cars can.

Oh no, YOU'RE not in danger, everyone else around you is because of your selfishness.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
4/14/13 9:05 p.m.

there ya go, best of both worlds

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
4/14/13 9:24 p.m.

I'm not worried about height, I'd be more worried about brakes that were designed to stop a 28-31" wheel/tire now being asked to stop a 44" wheel tire combo.

Just one tire can weigh over 140lbs where a stock tire can weigh 100lbs LESS!

That combined with the aggressive driving I've seen recently. There's two lifted dualies Diesels with 6" stacks that fly down my narrow, heavily populated street every day.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
4/14/13 10:51 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: I'm not worried about height, I'd be more worried about brakes that were designed to stop a 28-31" wheel/tire now being asked to stop a 44" wheel tire combo. Just one tire can weigh over 140lbs where a stock tire can weigh 100lbs LESS! That combined with the aggressive driving I've seen recently. There's two lifted dualies Diesels with 6" stacks that fly down my narrow, heavily populated street every day.

find me a stock wheel and tire from any full size 4X4 pickup that weighs less than 40 pounds... i dare you.. hell, a stock wheel/tire package from ANY 4X4 vehicls.

the stock 16X7 steel wheels and 265/75/16 load range "E" tires on my GMC probably weigh 80 pounds per corner...

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
4/14/13 10:53 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: there ya go, best of both worlds

i was going to do something similar, but it involved my Cavalier body and a 90's Blazer chassis..

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
4/15/13 1:20 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Those broad strokes work in both directions.

To a point yes, but nowhere near equally. The higher the crash structure of one vehicle is above another, and the more massive it is, the greater the likelihood of the driver of the larger vehicle causing serious bodily injury or death to the occupants of the smaller vehicle. It's simple physics.

If a any vehicle (truck or car) drives right/passes left and doesn't impede the flow of traffic, they generally shouldn't have much trouble with other cars (NSX) unnecessarily tailgating them any more than any other car on the road. Of course the car rear ending the much poorer handling/braking truck is but one of many ways in which the two vehicles could collide, almost all of which the driver of the truck is more likely to harm/kill the occupants of the car than vise versa. But yes, there are a number of huge duche bags in all manner of vehicles (from Civic, to NSX, to Escape, to F350, to Harley Davidson, to R1) that are essentially a danger and a menace to everybody on the road around them. This discussion just happens to be specifically about the drivers of dangerously tall trucks.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
4/15/13 1:32 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: ...but saying that a vehicle, as it left the factory, complying with the applicable safety laws that are in place shouldn't be on the road because it "selfishly endangers others" is an idiotic statement. Don't drive into the truck.

Because we all know that if it meets the letter of the law, it must be safe and good for us. LOL! I'm not calling out any trucks in particular, as for the most part they generally are forced to have lower bumpers these days, but I'm also not willing to preclude the potential for factory built trucks to push the boundaries set by the law in ultimately an unsafe manner. However many 4x4 models do already push the bumper height limits to the point that essentially any lift, even a mild one, is likely to make them significantly more dangerous to the other people on the road.

It's not me driving into the truck that I'm worried about. It's the masses of people who are either oblivious to the world around them while driving, which is only magnified as the size of the vehicle they are piloting increases, or who people think they own the road (and parking lot) because they drive the biggest thing they could get approved on a loan for driving into me that is the much more likely concern.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
4/15/13 5:19 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
ebonyandivory wrote: Just one tire can weigh over 140lbs where a stock tire can weigh 100lbs LESS!
find me a stock wheel and tire from any full size 4X4 pickup that weighs less than 40 pounds... i dare you.. hell, a stock wheel/tire package from ANY 4X4 vehicls. the stock 16X7 steel wheels and 265/75/16 load range "E" tires on my GMC probably weigh 80 pounds per corner...

Why do people refute points that were never made in forums? ("I dare you")?

I wrote that a TIRE can weigh 140lbs, never mentioned the weight of a wheel/tire combo. I then referred to a stock TIRE weighing 100lbs less. I actually looked up the weights of tires to get my facts straight.

If refuting me was not your intention, ignore this post and I apologize.

http://marylandcreepers.com/showthread.php?91-Tire-weights

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
4/15/13 5:37 a.m.

FWIW, I just finished doing my brakes on my stock F350 diesel. They are certainly capable of stopping just about anything. The rear tire and wheel combo is heavy enough to make it very difficult just to hoist it off the ground and place it back onto the 8 wheel studs. I like slightly lifted trucks. I like modified suspensions and any other mod that serves a purpose on any vehicle. What I don't like is overly lifted flamboyant penis extension. Here is another thing I don't like. Glammed up sports cars masquerading as race cars. There is a tool around here that went to one track day event in an S2000. Immediately he was a full fledged race car driver. Thousands of dollars later he turned a perfectly safe car into a death trap with stickers, and a flimsy bolt in roll bar complete with fire extinguisher and add on gauge projectiles. He kept showing up at cruise nights standing next to his car with a helmet in the passenger seat. He was throwing BS to anyone that would listen. Took every once of restraint I had not to slap him down big time in public. He seemed to have good intentions, so I tried to steer him in the right direction. We'll see if he is still just a tool come this summer, but he had his first child weeks before we had our conversation, so I suspect I will never see him again. The quickest way I know to separate a racer from a pretender is to ask what series he wants to run a particular car in and whether or not he has read the rule book. Pretenders just build a car and then go looking.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
4/15/13 5:54 p.m.

In reply to tr8todd:

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/15/13 8:16 p.m.

I'm not aware of any bumper laws pertaining to trucks and SUVs, they're car laws. The only place a lifted truck may break any laws is when the headlights/tail lights exceed the applicable range of height above the road surface.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/15/13 8:34 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I'm not aware of any bumper laws pertaining to trucks and SUVs, they're car laws. The only place a lifted truck may break any laws is when the headlights/tail lights exceed the applicable range of height above the road surface.

Many states have bumper height laws. Please check the googles.

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
4/15/13 11:15 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
DeadSkunk wrote: I'm not aware of any bumper laws pertaining to trucks and SUVs, they're car laws. The only place a lifted truck may break any laws is when the headlights/tail lights exceed the applicable range of height above the road surface.
Many states have bumper height laws. Please check the googles.

Not to argue, but here:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/studies/bumper/

Cars and trucks are classified differently. I'm no expert, so maybe someone in the industry has more info that they can provide. I have always been bothered by this crap.

-Hamid

Oh, and yes many states do have restrictions so you are correct. I have yet to see it enforced where I've lived in the NW.

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
4/16/13 12:12 a.m.

California has height regs pertaining to the frame IIRC. Both maximum and minimum. Both are routinly ignored of course.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/16/13 5:52 a.m.
RoadRaceDart wrote: California has height regs pertaining to the frame IIRC. Both maximum and minimum. Both are routinly ignored of course.

I lived next to New Jersey for years. In the 90's every red blooded south jerseyan had a gigantic Rollin phallus compensator or grpc for short. They do enforce big headlight and bumper height laws. If you lift over a certain number of inches you must have your vehicle checked by the state and approved as safe. This used to mean a road test. I don't know if the laws have changed.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
4/16/13 6:59 a.m.

Come live here in southwestern Ohio. I live in a mostly rural area, that has a few smallish towns in between. Im not too far from Cincinnati, about 40 minutes north. Youd think it was Oklahoma or Arkansas something out here...

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FH1MP0NA4dRoe4pfC04SfptK6gSceJWLr4D2W9Xo4Dzmf03U4OCO73tShwD8wAl4