1 2
JAhmed
JAhmed New Reader
10/13/14 7:58 p.m.

Finally got the finances and the time to run my 2013 WRX in an HPDE weekend at Mid-Ohio. As expected, it was a fantastic experience. I've autocrossed quite a bit in the past, but the cost of an actual track day kept me from participating until this year. I suppose my car performed pretty well, though I finally understand why so many people advise swapping stock brake pads and fluid before an HPDE. My car was running Project Mu HC800+ up front, stock pads in the rear with Motul RBF600 fluid. Also added SS brake lines as well. The car has some engine mods (intake/downpipe/muffler delete/tune), but is otherwise stock (besides an aggressive alignment). I was a bit surprised that after 15 minutes or so, even my slightly upgraded brakes seemed to experience some fade...perhaps brake ducts would be a worthwhile investment. Anyway, just felt like sharing, as I hadn't posted much on the forum in recent weeks. Not much of a photographer, but I did snap one picture of the car before leaving as well:

Look forward to participating in many more events in the spring and getting plenty of seat time!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/13/14 9:42 p.m.

First time on track you use alot of brakes. As time goes on you will use less brakes and be smoother and faster.

dean1484
10/13/14 9:45 p.m.

Part of track driving is managing your equipment. Very different than auto x where it is all out for a very short period of time.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/14/14 6:27 a.m.

but is it racing ?

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/14/14 6:32 a.m.

your fluid should be ok .. from what I've heard about Motul … I'm not familiar with those pads … when I was doing track days prior to starting TT's, I kept a spare set of front rotors and some track worthy pads (kept the rotors and pads just for the track) … then got lazy and used them for everything ….DD, a-x, and track

if you do this (and you might add some track specific wheels&tires) … keep in mind how much track/race pads dust … and try to stay ahead of the nastiness on your rims

glad you had fun … you looking forward to your next track day ?

bigmackloud
bigmackloud New Reader
10/14/14 8:54 a.m.

Congrats. I did my first track day last year. It was certainly fun and I learned a lot. But honestly it's such mental over-load that it was hard to enjoy to the full capacity. I say that to encourage you to keep going. My second and third events both increased the fun factor as I gained experience and felt more in control and could start pushing the car a bit. From event 2 to 3, I shaved 11 seconds off my best lap, with zero upgrades to the car.

You've probably already figured this out, but don't look to increased hp for better lap times right now. Tires and brakes are everything. And try to keep your running costs as low as possible so that you can afford more track time.

It was suggested that as you progress that you'll use your brakes less and that perhaps the brake fade will go away. I'm a relative track day newb, but I'm not sure I entirely agree with that. While yes, at your first event you're probably braking far more frequently that you have to, but as you progress, you will be achieving MUCH higher speeds and braking MUCH later and MUCH harder. I think the braking demands increase exponentially as you progress as a driver.

I doubt my Miata experience will be of much use to your WRX, but I'm running the Hawk HP+ pads (and I'm already wanting something more aggressive) and the ATE Gold brake fluid.

Also, I've found the Motive Power Bleeder to be a wonderful tool for changing brake fluid. Makes it an easy one man job. Money well spent if you don't already have one.

And again, congrats on a successful first track day!

jsquared
jsquared Reader
10/14/14 10:31 a.m.

SO IT BEGINS

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/14/14 10:35 a.m.

did you win?

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
10/14/14 10:38 a.m.

Nice. When I bought my 2013 WRX, I wanted a white one, but there were none available with the options I wanted so I went with the dark gray color. Seeing the pic you posted makes me wish I would've held out for a white one.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/14/14 10:39 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: First time on track you use alot of brakes.

^this^

You will find as you gain experience and skill that you will not brake the same way, nor as long. However, your car is fast and heavy so having the right equipment is essential anyway.

Don't piddle around with "street/track" or autocross pads. Buy a full racing pad and change them out before/after the event. They will handle the heat better while you learn to brake differently - although you will find the ABS a lot faster on a street tire .

Also, if you haven't - change the fluid out for a good quality racing brake fluid with a high boiling point.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/14/14 10:42 a.m.
bigmackloud wrote: and braking MUCH later and MUCH harder. I think the braking demands increase exponentially as you progress as a driver.

And since you brake harder and later, there is more time for the brakes to dissipate the heat build up between uses.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
10/14/14 1:05 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
bigmackloud wrote: and braking MUCH later and MUCH harder. I think the braking demands increase exponentially as you progress as a driver.
And since you brake harder and later, there is more time for the brakes to dissipate the heat build up between uses.

You will also learn to take corners faster so you won't be slowing down as much, even if from a faster top speed.

evildky
evildky Dork
10/14/14 3:35 p.m.

I'll be doing my first track excursion on 11/2 at the NCM track. Honestly not even sure which car I'll be in yet, it's either my 99 miata if I borrow a hardtop or my 87 z31 from the GRM 07,08 09 challenge.

JAhmed
JAhmed New Reader
10/14/14 4:06 p.m.
wbjones wrote: your fluid should be ok .. from what I've heard about Motul … I'm not familiar with those pads … when I was doing track days prior to starting TT's, I kept a spare set of front rotors and some track worthy pads (kept the rotors and pads just for the track) … then got lazy and used them for everything ….DD, a-x, and track if you do this (and you might add some track specific wheels&tires) … keep in mind how much track/race pads dust … and try to stay ahead of the nastiness on your rims glad you had fun … you looking forward to your next track day ?

Thanks. I brought an extra set of OEM front rotors and my OEM front pads to the track as backups, in case there were any mishaps. I don't think that NASA has posted the schedule for Spring of 2015 just yet, but I intend on returning to Mid-Ohio in April and hopefully many times afterwards!

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
10/14/14 4:08 p.m.
T.J. wrote: Nice. When I bought my 2013 WRX, I wanted a white one, but there were none available with the options I wanted so I went with the dark gray color. Seeing the pic you posted makes me wish I would've held out for a white one.

Ironically, this white one was one of only two WRX models on the dealership lot. I wanted to get something right away, and the white one was the only hatch...so here I am!

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
10/14/14 4:10 p.m.
bigmackloud wrote: Congrats. I did my first track day last year. It was certainly fun and I learned a lot. But honestly it's such mental over-load that it was hard to enjoy to the full capacity. I say that to encourage you to keep going. My second and third events both increased the fun factor as I gained experience and felt more in control and could start pushing the car a bit. From event 2 to 3, I shaved 11 seconds off my best lap, with zero upgrades to the car. You've probably already figured this out, but don't look to increased hp for better lap times right now. Tires and brakes are everything. And try to keep your running costs as low as possible so that you can afford more track time. It was suggested that as you progress that you'll use your brakes less and that perhaps the brake fade will go away. I'm a relative track day newb, but I'm not sure I entirely agree with that. While yes, at your first event you're probably braking far more frequently that you have to, but as you progress, you will be achieving MUCH higher speeds and braking MUCH later and MUCH harder. I think the braking demands increase exponentially as you progress as a driver. I doubt my Miata experience will be of much use to your WRX, but I'm running the Hawk HP+ pads (and I'm already wanting something more aggressive) and the ATE Gold brake fluid. Also, I've found the Motive Power Bleeder to be a wonderful tool for changing brake fluid. Makes it an easy one man job. Money well spent if you don't already have one. And again, congrats on a successful first track day!

Thanks! My instructor echoed many of the same sentiments expressed in your post. I intend on saving my money for future events and consumables only at this point. There is certainly a big difference between my skill level and the capabilities of the car, so I'm taking it slow and steady until I gain some confidence. Just want to get as much seat time as possible at this point!

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
10/14/14 4:10 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: did you win?

I think so

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
10/14/14 4:13 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
dean1484 wrote: First time on track you use alot of brakes.
^this^ You will find as you gain experience and skill that you will not brake the same way, nor as long. However, your car is fast and heavy so having the right equipment is essential anyway. Don't piddle around with "street/track" or autocross pads. Buy a full racing pad and change them out before/after the event. They will handle the heat better while you learn to brake differently - although you will find the ABS a lot faster on a street tire . Also, if you haven't - change the fluid out for a good quality racing brake fluid with a high boiling point.

My car is using Project Mu HC800+, which I think is 2 steps down from their most extreme pad. From what I've read, I think a similar pad would be something like the Carbotech 12 or 16. Either way, it squeals quite a bit, so it's gotta be good right?

dean1484
10/14/14 4:20 p.m.

I remember when I started I burned up a set of Metal masters (yes I am dating my self) in one day (6 20 min sessions) Cool carbon pads were new to the market and they did not have them for my car at the time and they were uber $$$$$ for the time.

A year later I could make the same type of pad last 3-4 weekends ( 9 20 min sessions each weekend plus a time trial run of about 10 min) and I was significantly faster.

My focus was on endurance racing and I was being instructed by those that had raced in the 50's and as they put it after a couple of laps they did not have any brakes anyway so you have to learn to drive with out them.

dean1484
10/14/14 4:21 p.m.

But all that said I think you just took your first hit off the go fast crack pipe. Enjoy the ride!!!!

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/14/14 6:47 p.m.
JAhmed wrote:
wbjones wrote: your fluid should be ok .. from what I've heard about Motul … I'm not familiar with those pads … when I was doing track days prior to starting TT's, I kept a spare set of front rotors and some track worthy pads (kept the rotors and pads just for the track) … then got lazy and used them for everything ….DD, a-x, and track if you do this (and you might add some track specific wheels&tires) … keep in mind how much track/race pads dust … and try to stay ahead of the nastiness on your rims glad you had fun … you looking forward to your next track day ?
Thanks. I brought an extra set of OEM front rotors and my OEM front pads to the track as backups, in case there were any mishaps. I don't think that NASA has posted the schedule for Spring of 2015 just yet, but I intend on returning to Mid-Ohio in April and hopefully many times afterwards!

OEM rotors should be fine … I would look into some actual track pads … Hawk DTC 60's would be a good starting point … even better would be getting in touch with Hawk and asking them … they'll give you pretty good advice

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/14/14 6:57 p.m.
JAhmed wrote: My car is using Project Mu HC800+, which I think is 2 steps down from their most extreme pad.

Those are not race pads by any stretch of the imagination. All of those compromised street/auto-x pads are topping out about where you want to start feeling them come on like a vise.

wbjones suggested Hawk DTC-60... those are a good choice as are the DTC-70. You need something with a heat range that wont cook between 800F and 1600F and when you are a noob you are going to get them too hot anyway riding the brakes so where experienced guys are looking for more brake and certain aspects of feel - you are just looking for them to survive you and still work. The pad choice is the same in both cases. A full-on no compromises racing pad compound. If you like CarboTech, give them a call and ask what you need. They make competition pads I am just not familiar with them.

Also - they won't work well when cold at all so if you drive them to the track - expect to have really bad brakes. They need to be hot to work. Plus they are expensive, wear faster when cold, and eat rotors so... it's best to swap them in/out in the paddock.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/14/14 7:14 p.m.

GPS is right … up to a point … the Hawk DTC 60 and the Carbotech XP 10 that I use seem to do fine on the street .. with an occasional squeal … maybe the 70 or 12 would need a half sec longer to "warm" up when street driving …

I drive to and from a-x's and the DTC 60 has never felt like it wasn't ready the instant I put my foot on the brakes (same for the Carbotech)

and again GPS is right … swap the rotors and pads out at the track … it's better to keep the different pad material from "contaminating" each other … one set of rotors for the race pads and one set for the street … and when you have to replace the race rotors, don't forget to bed the pads in with the new rotors … use what ever method the pad manufacture recommends

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
10/15/14 2:38 p.m.
JAhmed wrote:
captdownshift wrote: did you win?
I think so

Didn't break the car? Then yes you did. PDX is about the only thing I haven't gotten to this year, and pretty much out of time for 2014. It's on my list for 2015. (Just need to decide Abarth or the new '88 SC MR2)

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/15/14 2:47 p.m.

Ah, track days... I've been hooked for years and countless $$$ spent on all sorts of stuff.

Look for good quality blank steel rotors on Rockauto. I scored a front set for my Speed6 on close-out for $32/ea plus shipping. They were $100 each locally.
I've used Hawk HP+ pads for the last few years without issue. They make lots of noise as DD pads but I don't care.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t4itf8JtFaYIfXF9EUAHEklj19M7uPi0iCj5uhpdxXL5JJedRApMRir4iGsrPCvN