1 2 3
The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
1/14/12 12:09 p.m.

I know the '98 and up CamaBird has a lot of the right ingredients for a fun car but I've changed the plugs on a 4th gen. for a friend and that alone kind of scared me off.

I have thick, stubby arms that can't fit into tight spaces and I have to choose my vehicles accordingly. Otherwise I'd be all over an LS, 6-speed Camaro.

Jason_HBC
Jason_HBC New Reader
1/14/12 12:25 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I'm not saying it's not a good car... But a couple points: 1) Driver skill/comfort has a lot to do with things. 2) It doesn't have a man pedal. I haven't driven one, and i never will. I don't consider it a piece of E36 M3 because it's got Chrysler parts on it. I don't even consider it a piece of E36 M3. Personally, i'm just 100% disinterested in it because it has an automatic transmission and i refuse to own anything with an automatic unless it's a truck. I imagine that's where most of the push-back in this thread is coming from.

That is a fair statement. It doesn't have a clutch.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/12 1:10 p.m.

The Crossfire is also ugly. As in Panamera ugly that now amount of work can fix. It's also slower than a GTO and more expensive.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/14/12 1:21 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: I know the '98 and up CamaBird has a lot of the right ingredients for a fun car but I've changed the plugs on a 4th gen. for a friend and that alone kind of scared me off. I have thick, stubby arms that can't fit into tight spaces and I have to choose my vehicles accordingly. Otherwise I'd be all over an LS, 6-speed Camaro.

They aren't that bad, once you get the proper tools and dump a bunch of the bullE36 M3 OEM parts....

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/12 1:24 p.m.

Here's another alternative to consider for the high end of the same price range: E39 M5. 400 hp, 6 speeds, 4 adult seats, a real trunk and the ability to leap small continents in a single bound. I imagine consumables would make it pretty expensive on track (brack pads ) but I've seen it done.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/14/12 1:30 p.m.
Keith wrote: Here's another alternative to consider for the high end of the same price range: E39 M5. 400 hp, 6 speeds, 4 adult seats, a real trunk and the ability to leap small continents in a single bound. I imagine consumables would make it pretty expensive on track (brack pads ) but I've seen it done.

if you're going with the 4 door thing, you should have mentioned CTS-V as well...

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
1/14/12 1:53 p.m.
Keith wrote: Here's another alternative to consider for the high end of the same price range: E39 M5. 400 hp, 6 speeds, 4 adult seats, a real trunk and the ability to leap small continents in a single bound...

New York to L.A. in just over 32 hours...

redstack
redstack New Reader
1/14/12 3:36 p.m.

Ha I love to check in on this daily. I really like the looks of the Crossfire, so old Bugatti. I liked the SRT6 but didn't realize it only came with a slushbox. A buddy has a base with the 6 spd, I almost bought one years ago for my wife. But the day we went to close the deal, found that I was just about 1/2" too tall. I fit in my Miata, but not the Chryedes.

redstack
redstack New Reader
1/14/12 3:38 p.m.

As you can see from my pro pic, the miata is a bit small even after the foam ectomy. I'm always looking for an alt. Sure the ZO6 is first choice, and then a M3, but once in a while I stumble across something else.

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
1/14/12 4:49 p.m.
Jason_HBC wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I'm not saying it's not a good car... But a couple points: 1) Driver skill/comfort has a lot to do with things. 2) It doesn't have a man pedal. I haven't driven one, and i never will. I don't consider it a piece of E36 M3 because it's got Chrysler parts on it. I don't even consider it a piece of E36 M3. Personally, i'm just 100% disinterested in it because it has an automatic transmission and i refuse to own anything with an automatic unless it's a truck. I imagine that's where most of the push-back in this thread is coming from.
That is a fair statement. It doesn't have a clutch.

actually, it has way too many clutches and no pedal to operate any of them.. and it's just flat out fugly.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/12 5:25 p.m.
Raze wrote:
Keith wrote: Here's another alternative to consider for the high end of the same price range: E39 M5. 400 hp, 6 speeds, 4 adult seats, a real trunk and the ability to leap small continents in a single bound. I imagine consumables would make it pretty expensive on track (brack pads ) but I've seen it done.
if you're going with the 4 door thing, you should have mentioned CTS-V as well...

Are they down to that price range? I have to admit I don't know their pricing. But it would be a good alternative if so.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
1/14/12 6:11 p.m.

I've seen them as low as $15K. The range for the first gen CTS-V seems to be in the $16-23K range . . .

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
1/14/12 10:45 p.m.

I actually don't mind the way the Crossfire looks. Although I would still prefer a GTO.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/12 9:14 a.m.

I am here to enable the GTO purchasing:

wrecked GTOs

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/17/12 9:19 a.m.
Javelin wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I want an 05/06 with an 04 hood.
You could actually buy an 05 new from the factory with the flat hood as an option. It was extremely rare though. If I'm remembering right, something like 24 cars were done that way. If you have a common color to both years it's really easy to find an 04 owner who wants to "upgrade".

I remember seeing the flat hood listed as an option, but I didn't realize it was so rare. Personally I prefer the flat hood, but then keep telling myself that the original GTO wasn't immune from a fake scoop or two.

unk577
unk577 Reader
1/30/12 7:13 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: I am here to enable the GTO purchasing: wrecked GTOs

I have already bought and parted 12 GTO's from Copart. 2 04's and 10 05-06's. They are well built, nothing snaps together inside, everything is screwed together. And as already mentioned the brakes are the weak point. Out of the 12 I bought 11 were damaged in the front.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
1/30/12 9:14 p.m.

http://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/2799685164.html

Not mine...yada yada

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AKvtxZRr7EvUsTTx0tEMwhGKEOlrgabuchXeCFX3ZQXopClDTKMfQVEqIJQCRs7g