oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
1/23/15 2:13 p.m.

What got me thinking of posting this was the thread titled "What are some odd swaps?"

In my neighborhood there is a 1963(?) Falcon 4 door. It is parked in the street, and over the past 4 or 5 years it has moved because sometimes its there, and sometimes not. Well a new development has occurred, it now appears to be parked, with a car cover tied on.

(generic photo - not of said car)

with it parked in my neighborhood I've fantasied about what would make a nice build.

To begin with, either the best Mustang retro suspension/brakes, or possibly a swap to Mustang II front end. What is best for both moderate comfort with superior control?? Moderate to firm is fine (think Lexus IS300, or base model E46 3 series firmness - not control)

The rear end, I don't mind a solid axle set up, but would prefer something with a lot more handling potential then leaf springs.....

As far as this cars structural integrity... it appears to be sound, straight, and original.

As far as drivetrain, this is where "What are some odd swaps?" comes to mind. Mt initial thoughts... twincam straight 6, with either a decent automatic, or a 5/6 speed. With my Toyota leanings, the first engine that popped into my head was a 7MGE [Output = 190-204 hp (142-152 kW) at 6000 rpm and 185–196 lb·ft (250-265 Nm) at 4800 rpm.] Coupled to either the Supra 5 speed (W58), or possible the automatic(A43D) that came with the Supra/Cressida.

The orignal 170cid Ford 6 [output = 105 hp (78 kW) at 4400 rpm and 156 lb·ft (212 N·m) at 2400 rpm] So a 100hp boost, along with an added 50 #/ft might make the Falcon an enjoyable "family car"

By the way this would like be SWMBO's next ride... yes she thinks it's cute, and she wants MUCH better/safer seats. Another condition is to fit some kind of "stock" type 3 point seat belt - with retractor if possible.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
1/23/15 2:27 p.m.

Well, since it IS really just a Mustang with a funny looking body-shell, these modular thingamajigs seem to fit pretty well and look purdy!

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UltraDork
1/23/15 2:44 p.m.

The falcon bay is 4 inches narrower than an early mustang. 63 was the first year Ford offered them with the 260 so the 302 does drop right in but he suggested odd swaps.

The dream motor for my 63 has always been a BMW M30 3.5 liter with a big twin scroll Holset bolted to the side. It would keep the inline nature of the car, pull ~100lbs off the nose and provide a huge performance boost.

Jumper K. Balls
1/23/15 2:46 p.m.

And what is up with Portland and Falcons? I swear I see one on every block up there.

photo 20150114_093340_zpsugmboe8r.jpg

My 63 crew cab daily driver

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/23/15 2:59 p.m.

Jumper K, no salt around Portland combined with folks that hang on to older stuff means a lot of classics around. And it is the 60's Dodge A-bodys that are on every block, the Falcons are a bit more rare, more like a few for each neighborhood.

Here is a nice writeup on a well-done swap to a Mustang II-style front:

http://www.falconearlybirds.com/smf1/index.php?topic=1018.0

Since going to a Mustang II front means the loads are fed into the chassis differently, it only makes sense to reinforce where needed, remove the shock towers for more room in the engine bay, and put in something lighter (tubular arms) and with even better geometry than stock MustangII stuff. If that seems like too much work, the slightly easier path for the front end has been well-trodden by the Mustang crowd: Shelby mod to the upper control arms (or aftermarket arms that are designed with better geometry,) upgraded bushings, export brace, monte carlo bar, aftermarket shocks and springs. I would also look into a rack and pinion swap.

For the back, I would think a decent three or four link with panhard or Watts-link with shocks and springs to match the front would be a good balance of improvement without having to completely re-engineer the entire car. I haven't used any of the below, but found them with a quick Google and they seem like decent starting place to read about what is available.

http://www.autoworksracing.com/global_west_suspension.htm

http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/%E2%80%A60/p/66/1960-1965-ford-falcon-rear-triangulated-4-link-suspension-plain-package

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
1/23/15 3:30 p.m.
Jumper K. Balls wrote: The falcon bay is 4 inches narrower than an early mustang. 63 was the first year Ford offered them with the 260 so the 302 does drop right in but he suggested odd swaps. The dream motor for my 63 has always been a BMW M30 3.5 liter with a big twin scroll Holset bolted to the side. It would keep the inline nature of the car, pull ~100lbs off the nose and provide a huge performance boost.

Does that upper control arm relocation trick that works on Mustangs also work on the early Falcons? On the Mustangs, you could redrill the UCA mounting points and get a huge suspension geometry improvement at no cost.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/23/15 3:52 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt:

I could be wrong (I have always been an import guy) but I thought the Shelby drop was developed on Falcons and then applied to Mustangs.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
1/23/15 4:22 p.m.

Zetec with either a turbo or ITBs, bellhousing from pinto, 5 speed and IRS from a XR4Ti. Keep the falcons stock 4 bolt steel wheels and hub caps since the meurkurs rear should be the same bolt pattern. Not sure about the front suspension but a rack and pinion would be involved.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
1/23/15 4:58 p.m.

It's not exactly odd, nor cheap, nor high powered, but my thoughts for a 1st gen Falcon always seem to come back to a moderately built 200 with Classic Inlines aluminum head...Possibly turbocharged if wanting significantly more power.

I'm not sure why, but I can't decide whether changing from one family of I6 to another family of I6, regardless of how much better it might be, is less or more appealing to me as a swap. Probably would depend on how well done the installation and build is, as much as anything else.

Everybody does SBF's.

It has the length to accommodate 6 cylinders...What about a V12 for the ultimate fuel-economy-be-damned cruiser?

Along Ross' comments in favor of the Zetec, a Duratec I4 would also be an interesting option. Either would be a good way to lighten the nose, while getting more power and better fuel economy.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/23/15 5:54 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: It has the length to accommodate 6 cylinders...What about a V12 for the ultimate fuel-economy-be-damned cruiser?

BMW 5.0l v12's are cheap and plentiful... manual trans is mucho expensive but possible (only the 8 series had a manual, all of the 7s are autos).

Jumper K. Balls
1/23/15 6:04 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
Jumper K. Balls wrote: The falcon bay is 4 inches narrower than an early mustang. 63 was the first year Ford offered them with the 260 so the 302 does drop right in but he suggested odd swaps. The dream motor for my 63 has always been a BMW M30 3.5 liter with a big twin scroll Holset bolted to the side. It would keep the inline nature of the car, pull ~100lbs off the nose and provide a huge performance boost.
Does that upper control arm relocation trick that works on Mustangs also work on the early Falcons? On the Mustangs, you could redrill the UCA mounting points and get a huge suspension geometry improvement at no cost.

Yep. One inch down and 1/16" back for more caster and an improved camber curve

photo 20130209_164204_zps527158a4.jpg

I think I still have the template in my toolbox if anyone needs it.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
1/23/15 6:37 p.m.

2.3 Ecoboost. Or Turbo Volvo.

Jumper K. Balls
1/23/15 9:10 p.m.

Oh and if you are considering a Falcon you either should or shouldn't look at all 103 pages of this thread

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/falcons-done-right.80033/

I couldn't decide between an E28 or the Falcon and that thread is what swayed me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cp5UMkClttLkqfewNSup77BQsUaxTzyGE5I8KGOaqwVP7Hvosb5WzQs4q77AzSKq