1 2
Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
3/18/13 11:35 a.m.

After a couple of years doing DEs I just got a NASA rookie license where I'm running in American Iron. First races were this past weekend.

Most fun ever.

Other racers here?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
3/18/13 12:09 p.m.

I'm sure we can dig up somebody who races on this site haha

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
3/18/13 12:12 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: I'm sure we can dig up somebody who races on this site haha

Considering this is the Grassroots Motorsports board, there are probably one or two members who race.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
3/18/13 12:18 p.m.

Yeah it's fun.... That's why we do it.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
3/18/13 12:46 p.m.

Hells yeah! Or at least... I do when I have the time and money.

944Spec is my poison of choice. The first race was a huge thrill, but it get more exciting and you get more confident with the vehicle and your competitors. My favorite moment was three of us in tight formation coming down the carousel at Infineon, blasting down the strait, and then one guy locking up under breaking right next to me as we entered the semi-hairpin in the back corner.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/18/13 12:57 p.m.

Yeah generally racing is fun, but I think rallying is some kind of S&M thing

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/18/13 12:59 p.m.

Get on a dirt track with minimal rules and just tell me it's not fun. I'll call you a liar.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/18/13 1:02 p.m.

Whee!

motomoron
motomoron Dork
3/18/13 1:19 p.m.

I'm a hard working kind of guy who truly believes in fully investing one's self in that which they love.

I have never in my life expended time and effort like I have road racing. It's the bitterest pill and the sweetest nectar and love and sex and anger and happiness all rolled in to one big, flaming carbon fiber and Nomex ball, careening into infinity.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/18/13 1:29 p.m.
motomoron wrote: I have never in my life expended time and effort like I have road racing. It's the bitterest pill and the sweetest nectar and love and sex and anger and happiness all rolled in to one big, flaming carbon fiber and Nomex ball, careening into infinity.

Put that on a shirt and I'm in for the first copy :)

spnx
spnx Reader
3/18/13 1:35 p.m.
Teggsan wrote: Other racers here?

LOL!

steronz
steronz Reader
3/18/13 1:40 p.m.

I'll let you know in 2 weeks after my first ChumpCar race. Been dying to do something wheel to wheel ever since my first DE 6 years ago. It's not exactly American Iron, but I'll take what I can get.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/18/13 1:48 p.m.
steronz wrote: I'll let you know in 2 weeks after my first ChumpCar race. Been doing to do something wheel to wheel ever since my first DE 6 years ago. It's not exactly American Iron, but I'll take what I can get.

Chump is as road racing as anything else. It doesn't look much different than a NASA or SCCA weekend these days.

Have fun!

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
3/18/13 3:28 p.m.
Teggsan wrote: After a couple of years doing DEs I just got a NASA rookie license where I'm running in American Iron. First races were this past weekend. Most fun ever. Other racers here?

It is! and Yes.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
3/18/13 5:06 p.m.
Tyler H wrote: Chump is as road racing as anything else. It doesn't look much different than a NASA or SCCA weekend these days.

Yeah, the LeMons guys are still pretty much a party, but I guy I used to autocross with has done Chump (with the Hongs!). It reminds me of Improved Touring 20yrs ago. He's having a blast. I'll probably do that after I find work. I miss racing. A lot.

VonSmallhausen
VonSmallhausen GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/18/13 6:41 p.m.

Did my first autocross this weekend and I am so very, very hooked!

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
3/18/13 6:46 p.m.

Ahh yes, I remember the first race weekend. That absolutely insane throng of cars all heading towards T1 in some diabolical crazy need to be first through it...and all of us somehow getting through unscathed. There's just nothing like the rush of a race start.

TxCoyote
TxCoyote New Reader
3/18/13 7:01 p.m.

Racing is like sex. You prep (foreplay) and then get down to the sweet symphony of the event. The finish line is the climax and afterwards you can't wait to go again. That's why endurance racing is the best. Last's the longest and goes on and on.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
3/18/13 7:58 p.m.
TxCoyote wrote: Racing is like sex. You prep (foreplay) and then get down to the sweet symphony of the event. The finish line is the climax and afterwards you can't wait to go again. That's why endurance racing is the best. Last's the longest and goes on and on.

Or if you're not any good, you go for the first opening you see, and end up getting shoved off, careening into the kitty-litter...

Again, just like sex!!!

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
3/18/13 8:01 p.m.

Racing is fun? You mean to tell me GRM isn't all about hard parking and flatbilling brotatoes? I might be in the wrooooooong place.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
3/18/13 8:24 p.m.

There might be a few racers here.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
3/18/13 9:09 p.m.

In reply to motomoron:

So yeah I just totally stole that, thanks! lol

kking199
kking199 New Reader
3/18/13 9:24 p.m.

I've been told more than one time that if you think DEs are fun racing is on a whole other level. I'm inclined to believe it. I plan on racing sometime this summer.

Cheers!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
3/19/13 2:29 a.m.

...in further news: "Sex feels good."

steronz
steronz Reader
3/19/13 9:08 a.m.
Beer Baron wrote: ...in further news: "Sex feels good."

Why was I not informed!?!?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.