jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
10/10/08 1:47 p.m.

All too often these redesigns lead to heavier, fatter cars?

Sedan with 2.0L or 2.5L

Sedan first, wagon to follow.

One in three Mazdas sold is a 3!

From Mazda: ALL-NEW MAZDA3 SEDAN TO DEBUT AT 2008 LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW IRVINE, Calif. — Mazda Motor Corporation has confirmed that the sedan version of the all-new MAZDA3 (known as Mazda Axela in Japan), fully redesigned for the first time in five years, will be revealed at the Los Angeles Auto Show1 on November 19, 2008. The covers will be pulled off during Mazda’s press conference at 12:20 p.m. (local time) revealing the all-new MAZDA3, the latest evolution of Mazda’s Zoom-Zoom spirit. Every element of the all-new MAZDA3 has been developed for heightened exhilaration, with a more refined sporty ride, top-class fuel economy and quietness. Environmental and safety features, based on Mazda’s long-term “Sustainable Zoom-Zoom” vision, aim to achieve a balance with fun-to-drive. Add in a new expressive face and Mazda’s dynamic design elements, and the all-new MAZDA3 is everything a driver could ask for in a sports compact. The brand-new version of Mazda’s best-selling sports compact carries forward the heritage of Mazda and the pedigree of the current MAZDA3. Since its launch in 2003, the current MAZDA3 has sold approx. 1.8 million vehicles2 in over 100 countries and has won more than 90 global motoring awards*3 to date. The MAZDA3 accounts for almost one in three Mazdas sold every year. Following the world debut of the North American specification sedan with 2.0- and 2.5-liter engines at the show, the five-door hatchback version will be revealed in line with Mazda’s global sales schedule.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/10/08 1:58 p.m.

Pics:

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/2010-mazda3-leak.htm

It doesn't look bad, except the back.

This car as facial expressions on the front and back. The front says "OH HAI :D" and the back says "Derrrrrr WTF? 8( "

It could probably be de-uglified with some RX7-style aftermarket taillights and a different (more squarish) rear grille and exhaust tips. In fact with those modifications I'd totally approve of its looks.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
10/10/08 2:02 p.m.

I think it looks pretty good, something in there reminds me of the latest from Alfa. Its also got one of the steepest windshield rakes I've ever seen, much less on a hatchback.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/10/08 2:55 p.m.

DAYUM!! That's a good looking car! Almost like a little Ferrari in the styling. I like!

wannaberacer
wannaberacer New Reader
10/10/08 3:00 p.m.

a bit too "Ninja Gaiden" for my taste and those c pillars are kinda ugly

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
10/10/08 5:48 p.m.

That looks quite a bit different than the other pics I have seen

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/08/2010-mazda3-unveiled-ahead-of-la-auto-show/

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=CW&Date=20081009&Category=PHOTOS01&ArtNo=100909998&Ref=PH&Profile=1065&Params=Itemnr=1

woot! finally got the pics working

OMG thats huge!

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
10/10/08 6:18 p.m.

looks good, looks like the front and rear door frames are the same, with different skin (on the sedan) and the trunk looks the same, although with different taillights of course. if thats really the look they're going for on the hatch, it might end up looking "too much" like the previous version. just my .5c

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer Reader
10/11/08 8:07 a.m.

Wow that almost looks futuristic. Can't believe the current style is 5 years old.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
10/11/08 8:30 a.m.

The hatch looks WAY better than the sedan, I was disapointed with the sedans restyle, but that hatch is Sexy.

I will be happy as long as they bring back the 'speed3

axeman_g
axeman_g New Reader
10/11/08 7:51 p.m.

Being an owner of a Mazda3 I welcome a freshening. They are great cars and anytime you compare a car's design to a Alfa's it is a good thing... most times.

Some of the more futuristic looking details on the HB will not make production as they would be to expensive. It looks good.

katonk
katonk New Reader
10/22/08 1:34 p.m.

The new 2010 Mazdaspeed3 sounds really exciting.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
10/22/08 1:45 p.m.

doesn't look like much is changing, revised front and rear bumpers, hopefully they'll update the interior a little more than the exterior.

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
10/23/08 9:00 a.m.

That intake is HUGE! If the new MS3 gets the same treatment as the Focus RS then that means it will have the 2.5L 5 cylinder w/ FWD. I had that same engine in my Volvo S60R. Good engine that can be tuned up to close to 400hp. After that its a ticking time bomb. Sounds great with a cut out though

However, the new Volvo C30R is supposed to have AWD. I would guess that these three platforms would be very similar. Makes me wonder if the MS3 will be FWD or AWD.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
10/23/08 9:16 a.m.

here's hopin' for AWD

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/23/08 9:19 a.m.

OMG, if the new Speed3 looks that good AND is AWD to boot I may have to have car payments again!

Jay
Jay HalfDork
10/23/08 11:32 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: This car has facial expressions on the front and back. The front says "OH HAI :D" and the back says "Derrrrrr WTF? 8( "

I nominate this line for the Readers' Quotes column next month.

J

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
10/23/08 1:44 p.m.

I guess I'm the odd man out, I think it looks pretty fugly, mostly the c pillar (back window and rear side windows don't jive with each other at all) as it's not only ugly but also makes rear visibility suck.

Bryce

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
10/23/08 2:27 p.m.
Nashco wrote: I guess I'm the odd man out, I think it looks pretty fugly, mostly the c pillar (back window and rear side windows don't jive with each other at all) as it's not only ugly but also makes rear visibility suck. Bryce

doorframes and basically everything between the firewall and rear wheel wells is the same as before...

also it looks like they covered the rear window in the c-pillar on that ms3. chassis looks identical, door skins might be different, rear hatch spoiler is the same peice as before as well

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
10/23/08 2:51 p.m.

Mazdaspeed version coming? I wonder how much it weighs?

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
10/23/08 4:08 p.m.

mazda hinted before these pictures were released that it would actually weigh less than the previous model

edit - the mazda3, that is. if the '10 ms3 is awd, all bets are off, just hope it stays under 3400lbs

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AYOLyWkedBbLSphOzMMCLykKYVDEHfswkhpQn5f2f2FMHlTgEIAGj91k0Y7EZaR6