stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/15/16 10:13 a.m.

Snatch one up??

Run away??

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/15/16 10:22 a.m.

With a car that unique on this side of the pond, I can't imagine anyone around here NOT telling you to snatch that up!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/16 10:23 a.m.

A friend of mine had one in high school. It may have been the oddest car that I've ever been in. His was silver with a black top. I've never see another one.

Comme ça:

His had a fiberglass top and you could take it out by removing four bolts. The Webasto top was under that.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/16 10:24 a.m.

run to your bank and get the money out NOW!

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/15/16 10:25 a.m.

GRMers, we are a predictable bunch.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/15/16 10:27 a.m.

A friend had one. He was an avid skier and it handled the snow well. I thought of it as kind of a French VW Scirocco. Fun, stylish in a quirky way, but neither fast nor reliable.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
12/15/16 10:28 a.m.

On one hand it is an awkwardly styled FWD hatchback with a whopping 106hp and abysmal parts support in this country.

On the other hand it is french and it is a Gordini. It is totally unique and you will never see another on the road.

I would do it. I am a sucker for Gordini blue. I am a sucker for oddball and orphaned cars. I am a sucker for the lineage and motorsports history. I am totally a sucker for 3 lug wheels

Woody
12/15/16 10:39 a.m.
m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/15/16 10:45 a.m.

Be a hero, get it now.

Woody
12/15/16 10:53 a.m.
Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/15/16 11:23 a.m.

The Gordini motors are great swaps for a S2 Europa.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
12/15/16 11:23 a.m.

While the 17 was a pretty wild looking car back in the day, it does look pretty tame compared to today's plethora of over styled cars. I'd certainly go look at it. Driving a light car from that era can be entertaining, even with low horsepower. The lack of mass will be noticeable, in a nice way.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
12/15/16 11:28 a.m.

Nope. Not feeling that one.

Had to take a peek cause of the Gordini thing.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/15/16 11:35 a.m.

Three-bolt wheels??? I just noticed that. Can't find a lot to swap there I bet. Parts availability better if you look across the pond?

...and the engine looked north/south, but it's FWD?

outasite
outasite Reader
12/15/16 12:03 p.m.

Nope, we had Renaults at dealership in the 70s. One of the R16 customers had a standing weekly appointment. RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/16 12:04 p.m.

Is there a bad decision we wouldn't support?

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/15/16 12:57 p.m.

In reply to Wall-e:

Dipping your hootus in POR-15?

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
12/15/16 1:11 p.m.

Si tu es capable de lire ce que j'écris ici, vas-y avec abandon et n'oublie pas de nous inclure dans l'inévitable débandade pour que nous puissions rire avec toi.

Sinon, passe à autre chose.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/16 1:11 p.m.
outasite wrote: Nope, we had Renaults at dealership in the 70s. One of the R16 customers had a standing weekly appointment. RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY

Renaults, Fiats, Alfas, MGs, Rovers, and the like were not for the people who were afraid to do things themselves. Your customer there, was one of those people would rather spend money than diy

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/15/16 1:54 p.m.
stan wrote: Three-bolt wheels??? I just noticed that. Can't find a lot to swap there I bet. Parts availability better if you look across the pond? ...and the engine looked north/south, but it's FWD?

Renault used Longitudinal FWD drivetrains for along time - much like Audi/Subaru and old Saabs (and more than a few others)

Ever see the engine bay of a Chrysler LH car (300M, Intrepid, LHS, etc?) they have a longitudinally mounted engine as a direct result of their Renault heritage.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
12/15/16 1:54 p.m.

I love these and parts are easier to come by than they were when the cars were new (much like for my 4CV, Dauphine, Caravelle are now than when I had them. Thanks internet!). At this point reliability is more a function of your own skillset than that of the car.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/15/16 3:50 p.m.

I'd hold out for a Fuego.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/15/16 4:31 p.m.

I would recommend it. The US Renault Club is more active than it has ever been and thanks to the internet parts are not that hard to find. Honestly they are no less reliable or any worse built than any other cheap import of the era.

Renault Owners of America Renault Club US Facebook

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
12/15/16 5:20 p.m.

I really hope it's better than my Dauphine was.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/15/16 6:03 p.m.
RossD wrote: In reply to Wall-e: Dipping your hootus in POR-15?

How else are you going to keep out the rot?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wUb64ycXeFoiTWXp0mPO0uipKcqjigCZ3CGI9cVnKfobW4Hzhpjp7TVuWFGg0Obe