Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
1/22/18 8:12 a.m.

I was watching the Mighty Car Mods guys go buy a car in Japan and for 100 bucks a day they rented a rollback truck to haul their racecar to the track. Would something like that work in the US? I know lots of track rats who end up renting uhaul car trailers vs owning them. I know GRM has the ramp truck they have been restoring.

What sort of insurance would you need?

Would it need "not for hire" dot stuff on it or not since its rented out but not a normal tow truck?

I found a couple places that rent them but it seemed like they were more focused on tow operators who needed to replace a broken vehicle without downtime.

How long do these trucks last? Are there ones to avoid or look for?

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
1/22/18 8:50 a.m.

Japan has so much denser of a population then the US that I cant see that being viable.

Also, if your demographic is track rats, then how many weekends of rental are you thinking that you would get? You would need a lot of rental dates to just break even. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/22/18 9:06 a.m.

One time I bought a non running car near the O'Hare airport. I paid for a roll back driver to tow the car back to my house. No AAA, just paid out of pocket.

A few months later I got stuck at O'Hare and needed a cab home. It was more than the tow.

I'd say tow trucks are pretty darn cheap already even if you aren't the driver...

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/18 9:46 a.m.

I wouldn't rent one out.  every time my old boss loaned mine out to people that allegedly knew what they were doing it came back with something wrong or they broke the car they were picking up.  It's very easy to damage a car with a roll back if you don't know what you're doing. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/22/18 10:01 a.m.

A friend of mine owns one and said that the insurance for it is VERY restrictive.  He absolutely doesn't loan it out and even has to be cautious about moving someones car for them.

I'd imagine the insurance to rent one would cost more than the rollback itself costs.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/22/18 11:07 a.m.

I own my own rollback for personal use,  a 99 f550,  and insurance isn’t that bad here in TN.  It’s under 400 per year and I do have to run ‘Not for hire’ stickers.  I will say my insurance agent  is used to me bringing her crazy stuff to insure,  but the rollback took her a couple of weeks to figure it out.  She basically said ‘ no one ever insures these for personal use’.  

That being said I think requirements for trucks like these vary quite a bit state by state when you’re talking personal use.

Also,  while I like operating it,  and it’s kind of cool from a big kid toy perspective,  I find myself taking my 13 k3500 dually and car trailer a lot more than the rollback. 

Personally I would never loan mine out.  I’ve had people damage simple trailers before....they could wreak havoc on something as complicated as a rollback.  

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
1/22/18 1:53 p.m.

Sounds like good points to say NOPE all around

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ck6XQvco63j8mxdnR168UPo1UHxPvxMlXSaPQlw6fpdY6yF76zyceEU5Iv8YcuG1