1 2
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/30/23 6:28 p.m.

Suck!  Glad all are okay.  

I see the driver's door is out of align at the top.  

Door
Hood
Fender
Bumper cover
Headlamp
Radiator (fluid on the ground)
Possible strut, control arm, alignment
Windshield

I'm gonna say there is more than $8k worth of body shop work and I don't think the car will value out at $12k minimum that would be needed to even consider not totaling it.  

If (and its a big if) you could find correct color body panels I bet $2k and the car could be back on the road.  

alphahotel
alphahotel GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/1/23 8:39 p.m.

I think that the door is out of alignment because the body is tweaked where the hinges attach (door itself is damaged also).   The structure that supports the bumper is pretty well squashed.  I think that the only economical way to fix it is going to be to buy a parts car where I could get any part needed.  Luckily, I think that from the front doors forward the sedan is the same as the wagon (need to verify that) because wagons are thin on the ground.  There is a possible parts car on FB (overheating engine but body looks fine) though it is not red.

It is at my house now; insurance company wanted to take it to copart, but I refused because I thought that fork lifts would not help matters.

I talked to a body shop that would be willing to use used parts supplied by me (I am not in any way competent to do body work), I'll see what the estimate that the adjuster comes up with and go from there.

alphahotel
1/16/24 11:17 a.m.

Just to close things out: John Welsh wins the "Best repair estimate based on a single photo" award.  Insurance estimator came up with $7200 for repair costs, but she ignored (or didn't notice) the LCA, and a few other components such as washer reservoir and I can't believe that *something* in the condenser-intercooler-radiator sandwich would need some fixing.   (I think the fluid on the ground was from the washer reservoir which is in the right front corner of the bumper cover.)  Car is totaled.

Going to either return the brake parts to FCPEuro or perhaps sell them here if anyone wants them.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/24 12:04 p.m.

Will those parts fit a 07 93 wagon?  I would have to look and see where the pads are on my car. I did the pads and rotors about 5 years ago but the car has only gone 20k or so. 

alphahotel
1/16/24 12:26 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Will those parts fit a 07 93 wagon?  I would have to look and see where the pads are on my car. I did the pads and rotors about 5 years ago but the car has only gone 20k or so. 

I checked the FCP Euro site, and I think so, assuming you need the 302mm rotors (17 inch wheels).  Rotors and pads.

NorseDave
NorseDave HalfDork
1/16/24 6:11 p.m.

I might be the only one with this experience, but I've had better luck with Rock Auto than FCP.  FCP is like my 5th choice now.  And I own / work on ... 1, 2, 3, 4... 5 German cars from the '80s/90s.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/16/24 11:06 p.m.

In reply to alphahotel :

Out of curiosity, did you examine the option of taking the insurance payout and buying the wagon back?  It seems a shame to send her off to Copart.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/17/24 8:00 a.m.
NorseDave said:

I might be the only one with this experience, but I've had better luck with Rock Auto than FCP.  FCP is like my 5th choice now.  And I own / work on ... 1, 2, 3, 4... 5 German cars from the '80s/90s.

Why is that? "Why not FCP," not "why so many German cars"

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/17/24 9:58 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

You will have to check the sticker on the drivers side door jam.  There should be a bunch of letters in pairs, those will tell you what size rotors are on the car.

alphahotel
1/17/24 1:50 p.m.
Loweguy5 said:

In reply to alphahotel :

Out of curiosity, did you examine the option of taking the insurance payout and buying the wagon back?  It seems a shame to send her off to Copart.

I did, I mentioned it in the other thread I started about this.  Basically I have too much going on in my life right now to deal with a project of that magnitude plus I don't think my wife will want to drive it any more even if fixed.

NorseDave
NorseDave HalfDork
1/17/24 6:52 p.m.
P3PPY said:
NorseDave said:

Why is that? "Why not FCP," not "why so many German cars"

3 separate times in 2023 I ordered something from FCP, nothing happened with the order for ~2 weeks (sat in "processing" state), and then I got an email saying they can't get the part and cancelled the order. 

In each case, I promptly reordered the same part from somewhere else, and it was on my doorstep in <4 days.  

car39
car39 Dork
1/18/24 10:55 a.m.

10+ years ago, if you purchased Volvo parts from FCP Auto, it was likely a factory part.  Before I sold my dealership, they were buying over $100,000 in parts per month.  I even got chastised by the factory, because they said I was upsetting the parts sales over seas due to pricing differences.  Fun stuff.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6PNeTVwP5hwter3OKIDDFthTzVH6GvCKH9PQPBKnH80Tb9zlQ9KW4FyvK9SIiwPL