1 2 3 4 5 6
sachilles
sachilles New Reader
7/25/08 10:55 a.m.

Well, I do enjoy the legacy body work more than the current wrx, so the front works for me. Hard to tell from the pick, but it looks like it might have rear doors.......suicide doors maybe? This is only based on seeing the gap between the rocker and side panel. Could just be the camo.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
7/27/08 8:53 a.m.

It looks VERY Subaru-ish-assuming that the sheemetal is the actual car's sheetmetal and not LEgacy test mule sheetmetal.

Size/proportions look good. If that comes in at the projected 2800lbs mark, they'll have an interesting car.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
7/27/08 8:00 p.m.

Honestly, I would be suprised if it came to the states at under 3000# and $20,000

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
12/8/08 10:39 a.m.
neon4891
neon4891 Dork
12/8/08 11:12 a.m.

they mention a possibility of scion getting their hands on this thing, that would be interesting, but not gonna happen

Appleseed
Appleseed New Reader
12/8/08 2:09 p.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: I'd be interested if someone can correct me, but the best of my understanding, flat fours are a difficult layout for optimal header/intake runner design...probably part of the reason for the popularity of forced induction. As far as I know, the funky firing order makes pulse/resonance tuning more difficult than for an inline four. Once again, I'd love to hear a well-constructed argument for the boxer, but it just seems ridiculous to me to take a four cylinder engine and feel that there is good reason for splitting it into two banks of cylinders.

Ask a Cessna driver.

Appleseed
Appleseed New Reader
12/8/08 2:09 p.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: I'd be interested if someone can correct me, but the best of my understanding, flat fours are a difficult layout for optimal header/intake runner design...probably part of the reason for the popularity of forced induction. As far as I know, the funky firing order makes pulse/resonance tuning more difficult than for an inline four. Once again, I'd love to hear a well-constructed argument for the boxer, but it just seems ridiculous to me to take a four cylinder engine and feel that there is good reason for splitting it into two banks of cylinders.

Ask a Cessna driver.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/9/08 12:31 a.m.

OK, Cessna drivers...can any of you explain how air-cooled airplane engine design has any significance or relationship to liquid-cooled automotive engine design?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/9/08 6:30 a.m.

Same flat 4 architecture and lots of effort put towards efficiency-so its quite possible the manufacturers researched exhaust tuning.

As for splitting an engine-it allows a really low center of gravity, incredibly short length, and I would assume better mechanical advantage and lower crank stress from having the rods push in opposing directons. Thats all ive got off the top of my head.

Should I post it 3 times?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
12/9/08 7:14 a.m.

I really hope this car is 1/2 as cool as everyone hopes. Then, It should be tolerable.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/9/08 7:29 a.m.

They should just bring the Toyota version to the states and do what Nissan did with the GTR - sell it off to the highest bidding fanboys, 'cuz it'll take some serious fanboyism to want one of these over an older car.

So far, the car is about 1/4 as cool as everyone hopes:

/ 4 =

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
12/9/08 7:43 a.m.

aside from a miata or sky/solstice, find a Hardtop rwd coupe for that money.....

i'll take even 1/4 as cool cause its better than most, I'll be looking for a fun 4cylinder commuter in the future to complement my soon to be purchased land rover / Fj80 off road family camper project.

I like the orange and gold rims..

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/9/08 7:49 a.m.

Hyundai Genesis. http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-genesis-coupe.html

John Brown
12/9/08 8:09 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: They should just bring the Toyota version to the states and do what Nissan did with the GTR - sell it off to the highest bidding fanboys, 'cuz it'll take some serious fanboyism to want one of these over an older car. So far, the car is about 1/4 as cool as everyone hopes: / 4 =

I think you are wrong. If it were priced starting at $15,999.00 for a base NA car (which is possible) and up to $22,999.00 for a turbo Cobalt SS fighter it will sell VERY well, After a few model years add an ultra exclusive WRC edition AWD turbo for $29,999.00.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
12/9/08 8:13 a.m.
John Brown wrote: Hyundai Genesis. http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-genesis-coupe.html

Sorry forgot to stipulate $20k price limit or so...

John Brown
12/9/08 8:23 a.m.

I thought the coupe was going to be sub $20k with the sedan being the $30K Lexus fighter.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
12/9/08 8:26 a.m.
John Brown wrote: I thought the coupe was going to be sub $20k with the sedan being the $30K Lexus fighter.

Welll that changes everthing.. HELLLOOOO nurse.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
12/9/08 8:48 a.m.

last I cheked on the Gen coupe, It was getting up to 20K for the base and 29-30k for the v 6. If anyone can find an updated, credible, pricing out look for it, I will gladly conceed.

Edit I remembered, my numbers are from a press release about the release of the coupe in Korea, and prices where simply what they came out to with the extange rate at that time. Unfortunatly there are still no hard numbers for the U.S. yet

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/29/09 11:02 p.m.

Newish Gen Coupe info

Nothing on pricing, but the Turbo4 weighs 3300# and the V6 hitting 3400#

PaulY
PaulY New Reader
1/29/09 11:25 p.m.
P71 wrote:
ae86andkp61 wrote: -Toyota engineering/reliability/durability -Toyota nameplate/QC/customer service -Ultralightweight for a modern car -Inline four cylinder naturally-aspirated I will believe it when I see it on the dealer lots, but now that it is looking like an Impreza coupe with no front driveshafts, I can't say that I am very excited or that I would be interested in buying one.
So the same engineering/reliability/durability that brought us Tundra camshaft failures, Tacoma frame rot, the largest recall of the year for the last 4 years running, and the EPA nightmare of Hybrid batteries and the toxic waste dump that is the Pious (on purpose) plant? The same nameplate/QC/customer service that's been busted on by the BBB for high-pressure sales tactics, fraud to the elderly, and cheating in NASCAR? The same ultralightweight as the 4,500Lb Challenger? Stop with the fanboism, it's suffocating.

Nice.

The car looks allright, a bit much like the genesis with the headlights but if they can keep the weight down it should be a good car for subaru.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Associate Publisher
1/30/09 7:40 a.m.

Woah now. I am still pretty optimistic about the Genesis coupe.

But 3400 lbs? I'll would look into getting a used CTS-V or GTO and deal with the added weight (about 300ish lbs), the power and price difference will make up for that. The 100,000 mile warranty is hard to ignore, however when you are looking to modify something it can get in the way.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/30/09 9:09 a.m.

GTO weighs 3700Lbs and has 400HP/400TQ (in 05-06) or 350HP/390TQ (in 04). The 04's can be had for less than $10K. Food for thought...

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/30/09 9:57 a.m.

Actually, I want to see what the turbo4 is capable of if you over boost it?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
1/30/09 10:43 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Actually, I want to see what the turbo4 is capable of if you over boost it?

Me too. Hyundai is an unknown quantity in the performance community, so I'm eager to see how this car does when people start turning up the wick.

Regardless, a factory-built 2.0 liter 4 is less capable than a 6.0 liter V8, boost be damned. I hope the 3400 pound weight is wrong.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/30/09 11:44 a.m.

Reese Millen built one i believe, (i think it was him?) and they were putting out over 400hp.

But i don't think it was too stock at that point.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k6x9coSuUcKUoNS9yb7ouf2MaSnU4J4FP6lG0xfffiibpgjzxir50pu9xNo4eRUO