1 2 3 4 ... 8
chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
7/4/12 5:00 p.m.

Blue brz here for 29500, I like it but it will need to have some miles and a significant decrease in price for me to open my wallet.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
7/4/12 5:06 p.m.

On www.truecar.com a BRZ limited manual (the pimped out one) comes back with a guaranteed price of no more than 3700 over MSRP

The sale prices listed on there are not showing many in my area selling with huge markups most are around 25-27k

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
7/4/12 5:08 p.m.

Guy at a Subaru dealer is telling me they are only building 6000 the first year (BRZ) and they are getting 1 per month. He said their first one a limited manual sold for 33k

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
7/4/12 5:19 p.m.

Interesting check this email out

" 2013 Scion FR-S 2-Dr Coupe, 2.0 Liter/4-Cylinder engine, 6-Speed Manual Transmission transmission (model #6253), Stock #I06595. A complete description of this vehicle can be found in the attached PDF file. This description may, or may not, reflect the factory-to-dealer imposed Delivery Processing & Handling fee. Our Scion Covenant price is $25,161.00 (which includes all factory-to-dealer imposed fees). To this, add about 10.0% to account for Sales Tax (7.75% in our area), DMV Licensing, and Documentation. Quotes are for IN-STOCK AND CURRENTLY ON HAND INVENTORY or ARE IN TRANSIT TO US FROM THE FACTORY (subject to prior sale). PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS VEHICLE IS STILL IN TRANSIT (NOT YET HERE). This is the ONLY example of THIS model Scion allocated to our inventory that has not been pre-sold.

This pricing conforms to the Scion Covenant which stipulates that all pricing must be posted both at the dealership and on our web site. It also stipulates that all customers purchasing the same model with the same equipment receive the same price as long as it falls with the aforementioned guide. Lastly, the Covenant mandates that there is no negotiating on price. The way you are able to “build” your car on the web site will be the selling price. This covenant applies to all Scion dealerships."

wrenchedexcess
wrenchedexcess New Reader
7/4/12 6:16 p.m.

I went through the same thing,looking at a Fiat Albarth , they wanted a 3k mark up for the usual snake oil upgrades. Paint and fabric protection,etc. Ran to the nearest exit.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/4/12 9:54 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:

Called it!!!!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
7/4/12 10:16 p.m.

I lived through this on the PT Cruiser when it first came out. New Beetle, MR2, Miata. Shoot, I remember the frenzy when the first Fiero came out and the buzz was huge - 2M4.

Just wait it out.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
7/5/12 9:25 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Hrm, I was under the impression that Scion would blacklist dealers for doing that.

I wonder if they're getting around that by selling it at a Toyota dealership and not a Scion dealership? The top of the window sticker says "Toyota of..."

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
7/5/12 11:36 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: I lived through this on the PT Cruiser when it first came out. New Beetle, MR2, Miata. Shoot, I remember the frenzy when the first Fiero came out and the buzz was huge - 2M4. Just wait it out.

I am on board with this.

Why do we begrudge the dealership a chance to make a buck? I thought it was the American way? Supply and demand and free market and all that hoopla?

The price of the car is the SMRP or less and all you have to do is wait a year. I think this market will saturate quickly. The car is not that good.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
7/5/12 11:41 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:
Datsun310Guy wrote: I lived through this on the PT Cruiser when it first came out. New Beetle, MR2, Miata. Shoot, I remember the frenzy when the first Fiero came out and the buzz was huge - 2M4. Just wait it out.
I am on board with this. Why do we begrudge the dealership a chance to make a buck? I thought it was the American way? Supply and demand and free market and all that hoopla? The price of the car is the SMRP or less and all you have to do is wait a year. I think this market will saturate quickly. The car is not that good.

Uh oh, no buyers remorse in that statement.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/5/12 11:42 a.m.

I agree with NOHOME. We don't pay sticker for a car when we don't need to, so why hate the dealer for getting more than sticker when they can? This actually IS the American way.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/5/12 12:19 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: I agree with NOHOME. We don't pay sticker for a car when we don't need to, so why hate the dealer for getting more than sticker when they can? This actually IS the American way.

Because Scion has lived on "No hassle pricing! No dealer BS! Markups aren't allowed!" since their inception.

Notice we don't give 2 E36M3's if a Scooby dealer does it.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
7/5/12 1:03 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote:
NOHOME wrote:
I am on board with this. Why do we begrudge the dealership a chance to make a buck? I thought it was the American way? Supply and demand and free market and all that hoopla? The price of the car is the SMRP or less and all you have to do is wait a year. I think this market will saturate quickly. The car is not that good.
Uh oh, no buyers remorse in that statement.

Not buyers remorse at all, just too old and cynical to get too excited about a piece of steel. I got mine for list, if needs be, I would have waited or gone down the road to Mazda and bought a Miata.

I would say however that this wont be the slam dunk car that the Miata was 23 years ago. Look at the lukewarm reception it has received on this board, and you all are meant to be the cars target.

I WILL keep repeating that comparing it to any other car out there is pointless. This is very much a small niche vehicle. What the FRS provides that the Mustang and Hyundai don't is entertainment in just steering it around on the way to work.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/5/12 1:20 p.m.

I'll take the new 270hp Gen coupe for $25k. Thank you.

Oh... is this where we say "I told you" to those that said FR-S's wouldn't be overpriced?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
7/5/12 1:22 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Look at the lukewarm reception it has received on this board, and you all are meant to be the cars target.

I don't know that I'd call the FT86s reception on this board "lukewarm"; it's the same as any other decent new car, only more tempered by the dealer mark-ups that're the entire point of this thread and how they're keeping the car out of the hands of the small percentage of GRMers that buy new cars.

So far you're the only person I know of on this board to have purchased one, and I haven't heard the specific reasons why you don't seem to like it.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
7/5/12 1:27 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: I'll take the new 270hp Gen coupe for $25k. Thank you. Oh... is this where we say "I told you" to those that said FR-S's wouldn't be overpriced?

That is funny because here in Canada the Genesis, the Mustang and the Miata all cost significantly more than the FRS/BRZ.

I could not convince myself to repeat the Miata experience and the other two just are not fun to drive on a daily commute where I do 90% of my driving.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/5/12 1:32 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: I'll take the new 270hp Gen coupe for $25k. Thank you. Oh... is this where we say "I told you" to those that said FR-S's wouldn't be overpriced?
That is funny because here in Canada the Genesis, the Mustang and the Miata all cost significantly more than the FRS/BRZ. I could not convince myself to repeat the Miata experience and the other two just are not fun to drive on a daily commute where I do 90% of my driving.

Great. I live in the US. Gen Coupes are $25k. FRS's are $30+k (or are until morons quit paying the jacked up price).

The0retical
The0retical Reader
7/5/12 1:44 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
NOHOME wrote:
That is funny because here in Canada the Genesis, the Mustang and the Miata all cost significantly more than the FRS/BRZ. I could not convince myself to repeat the Miata experience and the other two just are not fun to drive on a daily commute where I do 90% of my driving.
Great. I live in the US. Gen Coupes are $25k. FRS's are $30+k (or are until morons quit paying the jacked up price).

Not to needle you here but I would like to hear what you said about the Miata when it was initially released with the dealer markup. Was it overpriced at the time? Was it underpowered for what you get? Would you rather have a big GT/muscle car instead?

Prices will come down on it dealers are just caching in on the 3 or 4 years worth of hype generated by the all the generated by Toyota.

Some people just like small cars like the Miata or FR-S rather than a muscle car or a GT car which the Mustang and Genesis fall into respectively. Personally if I had been around in the 60s and 70s I'd have preferred the British sports car to a Mustang or Camaro. You're comparing apples to oranges with all the statements about numbers and I'm not sure it has the relevance you think it does.

jv8
jv8 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/5/12 1:49 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
NOHOME wrote: Look at the lukewarm reception it has received on this board, and you all are meant to be the cars target.
I don't know that I'd call the FT86s reception on this board "lukewarm"; it's the same as any other decent new car, only more tempered by the dealer mark-ups that're the entire point of this thread and how they're keeping the car out of the hands of the small percentage of GRMers that buy new cars. So far you're the only person I know of on this board to have purchased one, and I haven't heard the specific reasons why you don't seem to like it.

I'm on the fence. Locally I've been offered a deal with no markup over list. I'm still waiting for NOHOME to elaborate on what exactly he doesn't like about the car. He's posted multiple times that things annoy him but apparently he wants to keep us in dark...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/5/12 2:04 p.m.
The0retical wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
NOHOME wrote:
Not to needle you here but I would like to hear what you said about the Miata when it was initially released with the dealer markup. Was it overpriced at the time? Was it underpowered for what you get? Would you rather have a big GT/muscle car instead? Prices will come down on it dealers are just caching in on the 3 or 4 years worth of hype generated by the all the generated by Toyota. Some people just like small cars like the Miata or FR-S rather than a muscle car or a GT car which the Mustang and Genesis fall into respectively. Personally if I had been around in the 60s and 70s I'd have preferred the British sports car to a Mustang or Camaro. You're comparing apples to oranges with all the statements about numbers and I'm not sure it has the relevance you think it does.

In 1989 I was 13 years old and going to Space Academy in Huntsville, AL. "Cars" to me were not a huge priority. Hell, my first car I purchased in 1991 was a 1980 Buick Park Ave 350 Diesel. Even then, a small 2 person convertible was not something I wanted. How do you haul your 5 best friends around in that?

As for the comparison, I'm making the comparison that the majority of people that consider any of those 3 cars are making. I've spent the last 10 years driving an underpowered car that handles good. I want something that handles good, gets good gas mileage and isn't slow. The ability to travel cross-country in it in relative comfort is a bonus. Not being allowed to test drive one until the "deal is done" is something that has me walking out the door. I don't buy ANY car without a test drive.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/5/12 2:06 p.m.
The0retical wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
NOHOME wrote:
Not to needle you here but I would like to hear what you said about the Miata when it was initially released with the dealer markup. Was it overpriced at the time? Was it underpowered for what you get? Would you rather have a big GT/muscle car instead? Prices will come down on it dealers are just caching in on the 3 or 4 years worth of hype generated by the all the generated by Toyota. Some people just like small cars like the Miata or FR-S rather than a muscle car or a GT car which the Mustang and Genesis fall into respectively. Personally if I had been around in the 60s and 70s I'd have preferred the British sports car to a Mustang or Camaro. You're comparing apples to oranges with all the statements about numbers and I'm not sure it has the relevance you think it does.

+1

I can understand comparing on price, but the driving experience of the FR-S is much different than a Mustang or a Genesis Coupe. All 3 are great cars, and each has their strengths and weaknesses. We may as well throw the WRX, Civic Si, and MS3 in the discussion if we are comparing ALL cars in the $25-$30K range.

The FR-S will be the "perfect" car for a small amount of enthusiasts. If you value nimble handling, RWD, and a very focused driving experience, the FR-S and Miata are the only (new car) semi-affordable choices that come to mind.

Shame the dealers are gouging. I wonder what Scion corp thinks of this......

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
7/5/12 2:37 p.m.

MSRP is an outrageous price! Over that is insane and the dealers who do that ought to be put in jail where they belong!

2 years after Chrysler quit making the Prowler because they weren't selling the Dealers were still offering them at $25K-$50k over MSRP. Of course they weren't selling because the Dealers stood in the way of the people that wanted to buy them.

I predict the FRS will have disappointing sales figures which will cause Toyabaru to rethink their numbers and possible options and it won't be because of lack of desire, it will be because people can't buy them at the price point God intended them to be.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
7/5/12 2:48 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: MSRP is an outrageous price!

I don't see how $24,930 is an insane price.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
7/5/12 2:55 p.m.

MSRP on any car has a huge profit margin for the dealer. It is not an expected sales price, instead it is meant to be a way for the dealer to drive the price higher than they would otherwise be able to get.

So MSRP is not supposed to represent a real sales price.

So yes, MSRP is an insane price.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/5/12 2:55 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote:
The0retical wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
NOHOME wrote:
+1 I can understand comparing on price, but the driving experience of the FR-S is much different than a Mustang or a Genesis Coupe. All 3 are great cars, and each has their strengths and weaknesses. We may as well throw the WRX, Civic Si, and MS3 in the discussion if we are comparing ALL cars in the $25-$30K range.

I don't see why not. Yes, they are different cars. But comparing content with price is a valid way of determining whether or not a car is a good value. In the end you get something for your money, and with the FRS, you don't get as much as you should, IMO. Even at sticker.

1 2 3 4 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QwiztlCaQLuNvc1QywUcYnOtgQ1dcZGXta2czOmAeerlRbBGhPWZPFPk0rCl4nfg