1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16
TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/11/20 8:14 a.m.

WIP on a Tiger.There is a lot of "ship in a bottle" about building the engine room. Lots of parts deleted in the kit too. Steering column & cowl braces are 1/16 aluminum welding wire. Header tank carved from sprue. Master cylinders scavenged from a Lotus at Model Auto Wreckers, located in several cardboard trays nearby. Masking tape holds pin wire bonnet hinges in place until the bonnet glues on. You can't get it in there once the radiator is in place, and you can't get the radiator in with the bonnet installed. Much like a real Tiger, 5 pounds of nails in a 2 pound sack.

Yelo
Yelo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/11/20 9:55 a.m.

Progress as of last night,

body is painted, will be clear coat later today.

suspension is completed, cage and dash is ready, seats are being painted with scale motorsport faux fabric. Wheels where narrowed and fit to the car, now being painted (using an old body to test fit wheels to frame)...

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/11/20 10:08 a.m.

Hey guys, can I just buy some primer at the local hardware store? What about just some white paint for the lower portion of the body? I don't feel like ordering anything to be shipped. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/11/20 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

If you are using enamel paints you can skip the primer. Go back and read my previous post about your paint questions. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/11/20 10:55 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Mazdax605 :

If you are using enamel paints you can skip the primer. Go back and read my previous post about your paint questions. 

Here's all I have for paint.

Still need white. Was wondering if I could just get some paint at the hardwood store 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/11/20 11:28 a.m.

Try a little of that Testors on some sprue or inside where it doesn't show. It is probably plastic safe. Testors has used the word "lacquer" rather loosely in the past. Try anything you buy at the hardware store on something invisible first.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/11/20 3:05 p.m.

A lot of folks on the model car forums use cheap sandable primer from Walmart or the hardware store. You might want to use a primer with that lacquer paint. Either that or mist the color paint on lightly for several coats. That should help avoid crazing the plastic, which is a PITA to sand out. Something I've learned several times since I switched to building cars a couple of years ago. sad

I finally got the M6 ready for decals (but it's not part of this group build), so I started the 767b. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. The body is almost ready from primer. I had to strip part of the cockpit tub, because apparently, I didn't completely get the mold release stuff off and it bubbled the paint in a couple of spots. There are just a handful of parts in the cockpit, so this one will go together pretty fast. @slowbird, I found the reason for the Ford logo on the box art car is because that particular team traded the rotary engine for a Cosworth V8. Probably to save their hearing! 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/20 3:44 p.m.

Attempting to fix my crash damage.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
4/11/20 3:57 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

Attempting to fix my crash damage.

You could just pretend it’s the Muira at the beginning of The Italian Job.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/11/20 4:33 p.m.

The big question: separate build thread? smiley

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/11/20 4:45 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

That thing looks neat! I tend to shy away from the metal kits just because they're not what I'm used to.

In reply to BenB (Forum Supporter) :

Wow, cool! I definitely have to get that kit now.

That BMW looks good too!

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Ouch!

I think you'll be able to get it fixed up nicely, though. You seem to have good painting skills.

David S. Wallens
4/11/20 4:47 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Thank you. This is my first model build since college--and that might have been early college, come to think of it. So, yeah, been a few decades. 

Daeldalus
Daeldalus Reader
4/11/20 4:49 p.m.

Finally got my kit in. Took a few pics.

Plus a bonus picture of my fly tying desk 

David S. Wallens
4/11/20 4:53 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Also, this was my first metal kit ever. I think it was a better fit for me. Also, it's what was here in my office. 

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
4/11/20 6:32 p.m.

And...finished.  First completion in a couple years.

Kit was VERY nice.  A little light on some details, but it is a model of a concept car, so there were probably some guesses made in a few areas.  The whole thing went together well - nothing had to be hacked up to fit.  There aren't any tabs to align the front and rear bumpers, so those were a little sketchy, and of course all the "glass" was a challenge to paint and glue.

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
4/11/20 6:33 p.m.

In reply to Yelo :

Dig those wheels on the Porsche!

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
4/11/20 6:34 p.m.

In reply to Daeldalus :

That 512TR looks rad!  Monogram was crushing it back in the 90's.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/20 6:53 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

I do most of my painting with Duplicolor primers, colors, and clear. With a bit of practice they go on smoothly and don't usually need much polishing.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
4/11/20 7:10 p.m.

Yamaha R1 paper craft I built years ago:

If you have a lot of time to kill, you can print the sheets and make one yourself!

Model:

http://familybusyness.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/yzf-r1-98_color_full.pdf

Instructions:

http://familybusyness.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/yzf-r1-98_assembly_full.pdf

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/11/20 7:57 p.m.

Made some decent progress on the interior. Need to touch up some spots from the glue and install the door cards, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. I've got a few suspension bits to finish painting and I'll have the bottom side wrapped up, and the body just got the secondary blue sprayed, so that's slowly making its way too.

With this being a Corona edition, paints and glues have been a mix of whatever I had lying around from when I bought these years ago, and the random spray paint I've got in the garage. It has definitely meant taking some artist liberties with some bits and parts!

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
4/11/20 9:43 p.m.

Well, I'm super late, but I'm in! 

Revell 85-4025 68GT500 Vert. 

No pics from phone, but as I type this it's in the plastic....here we go!

J0N

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/20 9:16 a.m.

We're halfway through the time now. How's everyone doing?

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
4/12/20 10:03 a.m.

A slow burn. I don't have any spray anything so I'm hand brushing the whole thing and I'm not too happy with it so far, 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
4/12/20 10:41 a.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

I'm done and my bedroom no longer smells like paint. Only real issue was some of the decals being mean.

Yelo
Yelo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/12/20 11:09 a.m.
Benswen said:

In reply to Yelo :

Dig those wheels on the Porsche!

Thanks! I wasn't sure they where a good fit at first but, the more I look at them, the more I like them...

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RV1m78k8gQQnd6E7RfOQEWNrlBABKCfksjKKz8WNiUfpoq25iAxIMWapwOcW0HrX