rcl4668
rcl4668 New Reader
11/27/09 10:58 p.m.

I just signed up to do Skip Barber's 3-day race school program at Laguna Seca.

For those of you who have done the program, are there things that you brought (or wished you brought) that were useful? I will be bringing my own helmet, suit, gloves, shoes etc. The Skip Barber rep said bringing a cheap rain suit/poncho and some energy bars would be good but is there anything else?

I have never driven at Laguna Seca. I plan on downloading track maps and videos to get some feel for the track but are there any good online guides or "walk-throughs" of the track that I can access online?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

/Rich

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
11/28/09 12:33 a.m.

Laguna is re-created in a ton of different videogames if you have a gaming system of some description.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
11/28/09 1:41 a.m.

Hey! My grandparents are getting certificates for my father and me for the three day MX-5 race school as our Christmas presents. What dates are you planning on going? I didn't notice on the Pre-Req's, but what all safety equipment do they require you to have? It looks like they provide personal safety gear.

Also, are you thinking of getting the insurance? I'm wondering if maybe they'd permit me to get insurance for the 3rd day only. I figure that's when racing will be hardest, and people will be most fatigued (accident prone).

Here is a Shelby club walkthrough of the track, but it's a very conservative approach: http://www.norcal-saac.org/ot/laguna.pdf YouTube videos are your best bet, and video games are great too. One thing videos and games have a hard time conveying though is the severity of the altitude changes and the crowning/cambering of the turns. Turn 9 (left-hander after the corkscrew) looks real smooth and easy on a video game, but it's sharply crowned and grip varies a lot with where you are on the track.

It's a great track, and you'll love it.

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
11/28/09 9:45 a.m.

An open mind. When I did Bertil Roos' school at Pocono there was so much information so fast it was hard to absorb and some of it seems counter intuitive. Listen to the instructors and trust what they say. Sometimes what you think you are doing in the car isn't what's really happening.

rcl4668
rcl4668 New Reader
11/28/09 10:04 a.m.

Thanks for the great replies everyone.

I don't have a gaming system but have a PC with a good video card. I have GT Legends and GTR Evolution by Simbin but neither game has Laguna Seca (or any US tracks for that matter). Anyone know of a recent PC game that has a fairly faithful rendition of Laguna on it? I believe iRacing has a great rendition of Laguna but I'm not sure about subscribing just to try the track.

Salanis --

I'm actually doing the 3-day racing school not the MX-5 school although the Mazdas look like a blast. In terms of prereqs for the 3-day racing school I think its only the ability to use a manual transmission. The guy said they supply helmets and suits but if you have gloves and good, narrow shoes with minimal soles (like wrestling shoes) that would be recommended. Hope you and your day have fun.

Thanks again everyone and keep the feedback coming.

/Rich

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/09 10:37 a.m.

I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to learn the track. Let the instructors do that for you.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
11/28/09 2:54 p.m.
rcl4668 wrote: I don't have a gaming system but have a PC with a good video card.

Try to pick up Toca 3 then. Good recreation of a lot of tracks, and my favorite race game for the PC.

I'm actually doing the 3-day racing school not the MX-5 school although the Mazdas look like a blast.

Ah. Have fun! I'm looking to get into Spec Racing, so I want to get schooling in something more similar to what I'll be driving. Have a coach in-car will also be nice, too.

Looks like my dad won't be going though. Just me.

rcl4668
rcl4668 New Reader
11/28/09 4:26 p.m.

In reply to Salanis:

Salanis -- overlooked your question about insurance. I will be getting the damage coverage for all three days. I think they charge $125 per day and it caps your liabilty to $2,000 per incident meaning you could theoretically have multiple bang ups in one day and each one would be a maximum of $2,000.

Hope that helps.

/Rich

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
11/28/09 5:29 p.m.
rcl4668 wrote: Salanis -- overlooked your question about insurance. I will be getting the damage coverage for all three days. I think they charge $125 per day and it caps your liabilty to $2,000 per incident meaning you could theoretically have multiple bang ups in one day and each one would be a maximum of $2,000.

I think some insurance would be prudent. I can't afford to replace one of their nice cars. I do think I'll try to get it for just the third day.

Day 1: Mostly Auto-x... not worried.

Day 2: Mostly lead/follow and line exercises... I'm pretty confident.

Day 3: Drafting, rolling starts, and races... that's when I'm worried.

fastmiata
fastmiata New Reader
11/29/09 6:36 p.m.

Skip Barber Schools would prefer to get you as a blank slate with little or no racing experience. If you want to spend some time before you arrive doing something, find a good tutorial on heel to toe shifting and practice that technique. Skippy instructors will handle everything else.

DaleDHanson
DaleDHanson
12/9/09 3:31 p.m.

In reply to rcl4668:

Rich,

Good for you. You're going to have a ball!

I recommend you buy and read "Going Faster! Mastering the Art of Race Driving" by Carl Lopez. It's the Skip Barber "textbook" and is outstanding. You can get it at Amazon.

Laguna Seca is a very fun track. I've done the 3-day, 2-day advanced, lapping, advanced car control, etc. there.

Try to do exactly what the instructors ask you to do. Don't change the program because of your other experience. Just get with their program. It's set up the way it is for very good reasons.

They have a terrific threshold braking drill they do on the second day. Watch for that green cone and be brave. Don't lift or brake until you get there. It's a bit of a gut check at first. Threshold braking is the single most difficult skill to learn.

Also, don't be afraid to ask "dumb" questions. Your fellow students are depending on you!

Have fun!

kellym
kellym New Reader
12/9/09 7:15 p.m.

I did the 3 day course about 4 years ago and had a great time. The instructors were top notch in getting you trained etc...

Things I would recommend to bring: 1 Large straw hat to cover your head/face from the sun 2. Sunscreen- you will not believe how much sun is reflected off of the concrete/blacktop surface, I ended up with a nice sunburn.

The course is fun, there will be a great degree of difference between skill levels in the course, the instructors will try to group people out on the track according to their skill levels.

Have a good time

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
12/11/09 7:32 p.m.
rcl4668 wrote: GTR Evolution by Simbin but neither game has Laguna Seca (or any US tracks for that matter). Anyone know of a recent PC game that has a fairly faithful rendition of Laguna on it?

Perfect, try this one on for size:

http://www.virtualr.net/laguna-seca-12-for-gtr-evolution-released/

rcl4668
rcl4668 New Reader
12/24/09 3:41 p.m.

In reply to MCarp22: Thanks for the feedback guys. Can't wait.

/Rich

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
12/26/09 11:59 p.m.

I am jealous, I really want to take the Skip Barber school at Laguna Seca! I have been wanting to drive that track for YEARS. Have fun!!!

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
12/27/09 12:04 a.m.
fastmiata wrote: Skip Barber Schools would prefer to get you as a blank slate with little or no racing experience. If you want to spend some time before you arrive doing something, find a good tutorial on heel to toe shifting and practice that technique. Skippy instructors will handle everything else.

Interesting. I've heard some say that (if you're going to go at all) go to racing school, such as Bondurant or Skip Barber, first; then do HPDEs/track days etc... Others say do some HPDEs/track days first and then go to racing school. What's the general consensus from somebody who knows?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f4UdCyTQjW9xRJWw0gUzmrdjzhO370LK2wmhImqB07fKVYBctqlOlhMHxA0BZpU4