1 2 3 4
mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/2/16 8:55 a.m.
Vigo wrote: An 04-05 Odyssey is a REALLY good vehicle and honestly isn't far from being fun to drive to begin with. I put a timing belt on one recently and was actually really happy with the induction noise when the VTEC kicks in (stock intake even) and with the 80-105mph acceleration, even. Also the timing belt wasn't bad either. As an owner of a 13 second and a 14 second 1/4 mile pair of minivans, i firmly believe you can have plenty of fun in a minivan. Although, i actually wouldn't recommend any dodge van old enough to be emissions exempt for driving fun unless you are willing to double the power yourself. They don't come with anything remotely exciting under the hood until at least '08 unless you count the 89-90 factory turbo vans.

You're spanning 2 generations with 04-05. Is that what you meant? Also, were the transmissions fixed by then?

drainoil
drainoil Reader
3/2/16 11:14 a.m.

The OP probably isn't looking to do an engine/trans swap to get what he needs, and may not even be interested in anything Mopar, but the 3.6 Pentastar has been out long enough now that I'm somewhat surprised I haven't seen one in an older lighter weight swb van.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/2/16 11:17 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Given that big isn't big enough when you're talking about the family hauler, I took a look at these after I saw a family roll up to the pool in one last summer. Surprisingly cheap, and presumably they'd hold up pretty well. Might be a bit much around town and in parking lots, but definitely worth a look.

A friend owns one of these. He is really disappointed at repair costs as he is not DIY.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/2/16 6:58 p.m.
mtn wrote: You're spanning 2 generations with 04-05. Is that what you meant? Also, were the transmissions fixed by then?

I guess i meant 03-04. It's the first gen after updating with the higher hp and 5spd auto.

Son_Of_Toyman
Son_Of_Toyman Reader
3/2/16 7:09 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote: Given that big isn't big enough when you're talking about the family hauler, I took a look at these after I saw a family roll up to the pool in one last summer. Surprisingly cheap, and presumably they'd hold up pretty well. Might be a bit much around town and in parking lots, but definitely worth a look.
A friend owns one of these. He is really disappointed at repair costs as he is not DIY.

I know the service and construction crews hate them. They dont hold a candle to the Ford vans. And I have seen alot with rust problems.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/2/16 7:10 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: I never understood why the Nissan Quest didn't get more attention for that kind of stuff.

because of the Turd generation. It drives like a school bus.

Smirnus
Smirnus New Reader
4/1/16 8:40 a.m.

In reply to jstein77:

berkeley that.

Signed

My 04 Sedona engine grenaded outside of Baker,CA 2 days ago.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
4/1/16 9:10 a.m.

I wouldnt fix an 04 Sedona unless i was planning to use its powertrain similarity to a 3000gt to turn it into a 500+hp monster.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/1/16 11:37 a.m.

I understand the love of the Mazda5. I almost bought one. My wife was VERY serious about wanting a manual transmission and seating for 6.

But when we saw it sitting side by side with the MPV, we realized the whole "seating for 6" thing is pretty compromised. You can squeeze them in there, but they better not have any luggage, or a waistline that exceeds 34".

Sure they handle. Better than any other minivan out there. But not as good and a Mazda3. So truthfully, the handling is a compromise too.

Cargo capacity? Extreme compromise. Less space than a Mazda3.

When it all came down to it, my wife gave up on the manual trans, and we recognized that a people mover was in fact our biggest priority. We bought the MPV, and never had any regret.

I am MUCH more comfortable on a long trip in my MPV than in my late model Elantra, my 1st gen Oddy, my Dad's CRV, my mother's Mercury Marquis, or virtually any other car I have driven.

The MPV is an excellent people mover. The Mazda5 is a compromise.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ey8ROZczQEd4JAUTQyLbelEdwM5OWWZmekga7shQfmh6BR7DFRBFvtpXQ8Ytd5wo