beans
beans HalfDork
12/7/13 11:10 a.m.

Big time cam noob. Assist me in telling me if I should just drop this cam in and go with it since it's sitting on my shelf. I have to replace my timing belt and change out the spark plug tube seals, which requires removing the rocker assembly, so I'll be in there anyway.

My cam specs currently are identical to the F22A1's listed in this thread. The F22A6 cam is what I have sitting on my shelf. Supposed to be good for about 10whp when the corresponding PT6 ECU is added, and another little bit more with the intake manifold of the 98-02 F23's. Current compression is in the 8.5-9:1 range. Head flow information is listed below.

"I am in the process of doing a NA F22A engine build. One of the keys is matching a camshaft regrind with my application. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any specs for the stock F22A1/4 and F22A6 camshafts. Due to problems with trying to get a camshaft reground properly (I'll open a new topic later on this), I purchased used F22A1 and F22A6 camshafts and degreed them.

I degree'd them on the head, not the block, but the results should be the same. I set the valve lash to zero, so all measurements are of actual valve lift, and I measured lift at the top of the valve.

Following are the valve lifts and duration that I measured. All durations are at 0.050" valve lift. The F22A6 has an additional 6 degrees of duration and 0.015" valve lift on both intake and exhaust.

F22A1 F22A6

Exhaust lift 0.350 0.365

Intake lift 0.350 0.365

Exhaust open BBC 30 36

Exhaust close ATC -18 -18

Intake open BTC -13 -13

Intake close ABC 23 29

Calculated

Exhaust duration 192 198

Intake duration 190 196

Exhaust center 114 117

Intake center 108 111

Lobe separation 111 114

Advance 3 3

Degrees overlap -31 -31

What I find interesting is that Honda chose to extend the duration by increasing the intake/exhaust lobe separation. Exhaust close and intake opening, and hence valve overlap, are unchanged.

Anyway, I hope someone finds these useful

Then there's this cam, which a guy is making 200ish whp/180whtq on 93, 220/200 on e85. It's a bit more expensive than I'd like to spend on a cam at the moment, so this is more or less for future reference with the other build.

Here's the new bisimoto level2 specs

Exhaust lift................. .403"

Intake lift.................... .389"

Exhaust open BBDC..... 41º

Exhaust closes ATDC... 1º

Intake opens BTDC....... 4º

Intake closes ABDC...... 44º

Calculated @.050"

Exhaust duration.......... 222º

Intake duration............. 228º

Exhaust center............. 110º

Intake center................ 110º

Degrees overlap........... 5º

I tried looking for the specs for the Delta 272, but can't find anything as of yet. In terms of head flow, mine's the F22B2(stock ports):

Not porting, might add a cheapie header. The engine going in next year will be 12:1 ish compression and I'd need some help chosing a cam for that as well, but I'll be going for head flow numbers to match as closely to the F23A1's shown in the picture. 220-240ish whp and 200whtq is the goal for the next engine on 93oct.

Sorry for the kinda jumbled/convoluted post, I'm at work so I'm in a bit of a rush, and kinda slapped this together. I'll try cleaning it up a bit when I get home.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
12/7/13 1:00 p.m.

Detla forum

Might be of use..

beans
beans HalfDork
12/7/13 1:11 p.m.

Little to no real useful info in there. There's a handful of threads scattered about on the various Honda forums, but not really any good cam tech talk like we get here, as in the recent 'highest revving sohc' thread. Didn't wanna clutter that one with his stuff.

Jacobk12
Jacobk12 None
12/6/14 1:05 a.m.

Just wondering where did you hear the f22a6 cam would give 10hp. I'm thinking about doing the swap in my 94 accord.

beans
beans Dork
12/6/14 5:20 p.m.

The cam with the appropriate ECU(90-93 F22A6) should yield that power. If you want the cam, I have one. Do you have an F22B2 non VTEC car? A 4-2-1 header made a HUGE difference for me, but I did it at the same time as the F23A1 intake manifold, which I also have a spare. ;)

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
12/6/14 6:15 p.m.

correct me if I'm wrong... but do I see volume drops on the 2 intakes of the ported heads without O/S valves? .1, .2 lifts both intakes drop, @ .3 one is still low. If your cam lifts stop @ .365, then in both cases you are likely to flow less.

I can't tell for sure... I didn't work the heads, or the flowbench, but it seems to me the intake side is a bit too large, and it only flows better as lifts increase substantially, but the short lifts flow worse. The ported F22B exhaust also seems to flow worse on the first 2 lift points. A small variable is expected, but anything more than 3% is beyond acceptable.

as to the camshafts... you are getting extra lift, but the IVCE is later allowing some of the compression to be lost out the slightly longer duration

Jacobk12
Jacobk12 New Reader
12/7/14 11:11 p.m.

I just did the f23 manifold swap and it made a big difference in higher rpm. I have a header on it not a very good one but i got it very cheap with a spare motor. I only have stock exhuast on, I'm going to possibly do a tsudo cat back with a yonaka high flow cat. How much would you want for the f22a6 camshaft?

beans
beans Dork
12/7/14 11:14 p.m.

In reply to Jacobk12:

I'd take $40+whatever shipping is. Send me a message. The header and intake swap helped an obscene amount, and it breathed pretty good until about 5000RPM or so. I really wouldn't bother with the exhaust until you add more cam and can get it tuned. From what I gather, these engines LOVE additional timing past about 4000RPM.

In reply to oldeskewltoy:

You're absolutely right. I personally don't believe the heads were ported that well(certain not what I would desire), but just posted the graph for reference. While my project keeps going stagnant because, well, life, I'm still on the hunt for a proper porter and the right cam selection to make the magic 200hp/tq without turboing or going too extreme. Unless I can lock down a proper camshaft, there's no reason to build a header yet, nor start cutting up intakes. This thread was more or less a brain dump when I made it.

Jacobk12
Jacobk12 New Reader
12/7/14 11:20 p.m.

In reply to beans: I also port and polished my f23 manifold slightly and have a h23 throttle body on with the hondata thermal gasket. I was suprised how well it went together a lot of people complain that they had vaccume leaks. The only trouble I had was getting two of the extended studs in near the coolant crossover pipe at the back.

Jacobk12
Jacobk12 New Reader
12/7/14 11:25 p.m.

In reply to beans: i tried to message you. It's not letting me untill a admin approves me. And idk how to get them to.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
12/8/14 1:04 a.m.

Do you have any photos of the port work?

I do port work, some of it is in here

Jacobk12
Jacobk12 New Reader
12/8/14 2:12 a.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy: nah I didn't take any pics but your work looks really good I wish I had the time to port my head or maybe buy a spare head and port it. I've also been researching on doing my own custom chip tuning with crome. I have a lot to learn but I really want to get into it. Where I am there is nobody that does this kind of stuff so I've been learning a lot haha.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
12/8/14 8:40 a.m.

Just saw this. There's no good reason not to run that cam. The extra lift, longer duration and earlier lobe centerlines are all good news. 190 degrees intake duration on a motor like that is way too little and nothing more than an econo cam. I'm a grinder. If you need any info on having a cam reground, I can probably help.

beans
beans Dork
12/9/14 11:41 a.m.

Sweetness. I'm snagging another intake manifold this Friday so I'll have two to play around with.

I wish I could dig up some specs on the F23A1's cam; I'm guessing its fairly similar. I'll probably go junkyard diving again when I get a chance. Zomby Woof, I'll probably be dropping you a line once I get other stuff straightened out.

Jacobk12
Jacobk12 New Reader
12/9/14 9:32 p.m.

In reply to beans: hey I sent you a message about the cam.

beans
beans Dork
12/12/14 12:32 a.m.

Another guy is building a streeted F22A* non-vtec semi-locally to me, and we've exchanged a few emails/PM's on another board. The cam specs listed previously are the one's he's measured for the F22A1/F22A6, so these are fairly accurate. First column is/was Bisi's spec for a 'stage 2', second column is what that same cam measured out to, third is his custom grind from Web. None of these are the same as the Bisi Stage 2 that was mentioned in the original post. It should be noted all Bisi cam's are/were ground by Web.

...........................Bisi spec....Bisi cam...Web cam

Exhaust lift.............0.372".....0.378"......0.399"

Intake lift...........0.400".....0.404"......0.403"

Exhaust duration......218.........225..........199

Intake duration........215.........201..........202

Lobe separation........110........110.5........114

Advance.................3..........-5............5

Degrees overlap.......-3.5.........-8...........-27

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
12/12/14 12:35 a.m.

Just curious, what's the rocker ratio?

beans
beans Dork
12/12/14 11:49 a.m.

I think it's 1.5, but not 100%. I'll find out.

Also found these specs for the F23A1 camshaft. Not sure how accurate they are as it's pulled from Wikipedia

..................Low-Speed Operation........High-Speed Operation.......All Conditions

........Primary Intake Valve......Secondary Intake Valve......Both Intake Exhaust.....Exhaust Valve

Valve Opens...... 24 ATDC........ 26 ATDC................. 0TDC............... 30 BBBC

Valve Closes..... 23 ABDC......... 76 BBDC................. 36 ABDC............ 15 BTDC

Lift .............7.0mm............. 1.8mm.................... 10.0mm.............. 9.0mm

beans
beans Dork
12/16/14 9:11 p.m.

1.62 seems to be what people have measured for rocker ratio.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qifq0H8rRfMNW2H1N9neVoFZzfk4w3o9mlxVCwvqaHi1gC1M2i2x0xlxzCecmXYS