Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/26/24 8:04 a.m.
feature_image

How did we shave more than 11 seconds per lap? Was it with a turbocharger? Massive aero? Would you believe it was just some select, relatively simple modifications and a bit of sorting?

Here’s how we took our ND-chassis Miata from fast to really fast. Not only can this car now outrun a bevy of 300-horsepower hot hatches, but it …

This content is available for GRM+ members and Grassroots Motorsports magazine subscribers only.

You can read it for free in 34 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Subscribe now

Already a member?

Login to read

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/26/24 11:15 a.m.

I wonder how much faster the Triple Threat would be if it did have a sequential gearbox?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/24 11:29 a.m.

I'd like to point out the FM springs gave a 0.7s improvement for $249, which - if I'm doing the math correctly - is the best bang for the buck on the list by a good margin other than the initial alignment :)

The price is not given, but I suspect the "upgrade to 2019 model" might be the worst value on the list.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/26/24 2:52 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The price is not given, but I suspect the "upgrade to 2019 model" might be the worst value on the list.

But the smile factor with that one was huge.  laugh

The ND1 is good, but that engine is just sooo hamstrung.  Pulls hard right to the too-soon rev limiter and stunts your fun. 

The ND2 motor  is proper Miata.  Revvy and powerful (well, for a Mazda 4-cylinder).

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
4/26/24 3:36 p.m.

Interesting; you managed to shave 5 second off each car.

Also interesting is that the alignment netted almost as much time as coilovers.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/24 6:19 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:
Keith Tanner said:

But the smile factor with that one was huge.  laugh

The ND1 is good, but that engine is just sooo hamstrung.  Pulls hard right to the too-soon rev limiter and stunts your fun. 

The ND2 motor  is proper Miata.  Revvy and powerful (well, for a Mazda 4-cylinder).

The funny thing is that the ND2 motor feels more like a "Miata" motor than any other Miata motor since 1993. So there have been a whole lot more Miatas without Miata motors than with ;)

I agree, though - on track, the ND2 is a really nice upgrade. It's less obvious for street use because the engines don't really separate themselves below 6000.

We had a similar experience with our ND1 the first few days after taking delivery. We bolted on some wheels and tires for the first track day (the day after it arrived at our shop), and for the second day I did a rough alignment in the pits. Significant improvement in lap times and steering feel.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/26/24 10:57 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

I wonder how much faster the Triple Threat would be if it did have a sequential gearbox?

There are clues in the data.  Look at each shift point for the delay in accel...little stair steps.  Don't see those on the GMX5 traces.  Count 'em up.  There's your delta.

There may also be gearing advantages, but I have not looked at that yet.

rickbeen
rickbeen
4/27/24 2:35 p.m.

Speaking of RedShift, has anyone had contact with Chris or anyone else lately?
(not getting any response via email on a coilover order)

sorry if this is a bad place to post this question

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/27/24 7:35 p.m.

In reply to rickbeen :

I ordered a set at the beginning of December last year and at time of order I was expecting them mid January but they didn't ship until the first of March. I got the impression they were pretty busy at the time.

rickbeen
rickbeen New Reader
4/28/24 7:40 p.m.

all is well! 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/29/24 6:16 a.m.
rickbeen said:

all is well!

Glad you got in contact.

I talk to Chris periodically via email, and it's a bit flaky.  Often my stuff either ends up in a spam box on his end or doesn't go through to my email (@swbell.net) on my end.   Nature of the business, to some degree.  Small business using off-the-shelf IT products, focused on building product, so customer contact takes a back seat.

He's also a really small shop.  One main man, one hired tech, and his grown daughter.  Amazing how much volume and quality they crank out given the small size.

There has also been lots of behind-the-scenes drama with suppliers, etc.  Knowing lots of those details, its amazing how well he's navigated it all.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I4GCwuDXAz6sV49jbUsaPJwaHegye3fzn0NCuCLliUECZpAkEPwnlVnxuOJakj5n