1 2 3
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
7/26/18 9:13 a.m.

I remember some Black Widows someone posted that they got free with a car they brought home (nope, just nope).

Here’s my new shop mascot. It’s also my gym so he was kind enough to spot me yesterday too.

Just gotta name him.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
7/26/18 9:31 a.m.
carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
7/26/18 9:32 a.m.

Nope, Nope, Nope!

Brake cleaner and a lighter would have been put to use very quickly in my garage, fire be damned!

To be fair, I'm I really big fan of this stuff.  Not sure how approved for California it is, but it's as close to going scorched earth around the house without fire as you can get.

https://www.amazon.com/Bifen-XTS-25-1-32-quart/dp/B003IMIPF4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1532616152&sr=8-2&keywords=Bifen+XTS

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
7/26/18 9:33 a.m.

They say a garden spider won't bother you,  we have those and a black w/ yellow that size.  not a fan.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
7/26/18 9:36 a.m.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
7/26/18 9:36 a.m.

Spotting you at the gym without asking?

Name him Chad.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/26/18 9:38 a.m.

There are so many cool automotive Spiders, Spyders and such, and you show us that? If you are going arachnid, at least make it a cool one:

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
7/26/18 9:40 a.m.

Monza spyder

​​​​​​​

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
7/26/18 9:40 a.m.

pirate
pirate Reader
7/26/18 9:47 a.m.

Get a dehumidifier. Spiders won’t live in areas without moisture and would also be good for your tools and workouts. Even though spider may not be poisonous they make you hurt yourself when they show up unexpectedly don’t ask me how I know this!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/18 9:50 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:

I remember some Black Widows someone posted that they got free with a car they brought home (nope, just nope).

Here’s my new shop mascot. It’s also my gym so he was kind enough to spot me yesterday too.

Just gotta name him.

Looks cute, seems chill, I’d call him Herbie. 

Fwiw I used to despise spiders, but I’ve actually grown to like them. I don’t typically go around petting them, but unless one is in a bad place I’ll leave them alone. Otherwise I’ll carefully relocate them. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
7/26/18 9:53 a.m.

I had one that size as a pet on my desk at one of my jobs. Caught her in the copy room and built a little terrarium out of a jumbo CDR spindle. I named her "Fluffy" and fed her crickets from the warehouse. Kept the clucking hens from the customer service team away from my desk. Had to let her go in the bushes out front when she showed up one morning with an egg sac full of "nopelings".

I have a truce with my garage spiders. I had a jumping spider in my garage office for a few days that I named "Twitchy" who ran laps around my desk monitor. At one point I got him to chase my mouse cursor.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/26/18 9:59 a.m.

I'm no lover of spiders, but I usually let them be.  They eat the other things that I do kill.     

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
7/26/18 10:01 a.m.

I'm fine with non-venomous spiders in the garage and such. They keep the insect population down. We've got some big ones that build enormous webs outside every year, but they don't seem interested in coming inside.

Biggest one I've ever encountered was overseas - it was straddling the shower drain. As in the whole drain. It was not well-received.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/26/18 10:18 a.m.

We've got these suckers all around during the warm months. Quite beautiful really. I like to go up to them with my fingernail. They'll rear up on their hind legs and "fight" my fingernail. Good fun.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/26/18 10:28 a.m.

All spiders are venomous .  I see one loose in my house or yard it dies. 

As for bug control the lizards and geckos can do that service for me. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/18 11:06 a.m.

I name all spiders "berkeley that"

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
7/26/18 11:14 a.m.

He'd be known as "Splat" in my garage. I got creeped out just from the pictures.

mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
7/26/18 11:27 a.m.
Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/26/18 11:34 a.m.

I used to let spiders be--- as they eat mosquitos and other pests.  This was until I did a bit of landscaping and got bitten badly, and repeatedly.  My forearm actually became swollen with one of the bites.  Not much fun.

It was then, that I decided all of my "pet" spiders needed to die.......and die they did.  I bought a couple of cans of spider killer and went to town.   WOW!  I didn't realize how many spiders had moved in, until I decided to wage genocide on them.   Lots of "baby bundles" too---- glad they didn't get a chance to hatch!  

No more spiders for me.....at least indoors.  Outside I'll let them be.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
7/26/18 1:34 p.m.

This dude surprised me one evening. He had a bigger brother outside, too. I don't mind spiders, but am getting sick of how many I end up with in the shop. They're everywhere. I understand they eat bugs, but I don't see anywhere near as many bugs as I see spiders. How does that work? Do they just eat them faster than I spot them?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/26/18 2:19 p.m.

Spiders are awesome. Except for the one that surprised me last week inside my shirt, he/she died a messy but quick death.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/26/18 2:21 p.m.

Drione dust works really well for all insects.  I dust lightly around the edge of the garage annually, keeps the bugs away.

It's mostly harmless diatomaceous earth, with a pinch of pyrethrin thrown in for good measure.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
7/26/18 2:22 p.m.

Not sure how I feel about this one. His smaller relatives die pretty quickly but this one seems less like a pest. When you have heavy (relatively) dumbbells over your face and one unexpectedly crawls across your hand.... It’s not safe.

i did have a tree-frog jump from somewhere and land on my thigh while working out.

Almost screamed... almost.

NickD
NickD UberDork
7/26/18 2:30 p.m.

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hd0SG5SPGWJQrmWQ8MMplYCm6sRtwbrOfxqbMIopBcAyE4Za80Uns5LvIn7QpTBc