Scottah
Scottah Dork
12/19/15 6:19 p.m.

I've got two options for vacuuming my cars and they both suck (lol). My large wet/dry vac is too bulky and the hose is too small. The wife's Dyson does good, but it's not the best option.

What's a good, powerful sub 5 gallon vac for cleaning the cars?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
12/19/15 6:23 p.m.

May be bulky, but this is my favorite shop vac by far: http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-4-5-gal-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-WD4522/100638389?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-VF-PLA%7c&gclid=CjwKEAiAndSzBRDp5P232v-qtHkSJABw-VdtZJgWl1umjvfux9SpWBdNR3SYooZuOwS7gkRtpQZBnRoCyM3w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also, you can go to home depot and get longer hoses & different ends for shop vacs at pretty reasonable prices. A longer hose is probably the easy button here.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/15 6:37 p.m.

How about exactly five gallons? This is what I use in conjunction with a Homer Bucket. I suppose you could use a three gallon bucket.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-Head-5-gal-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-BH0100/202017218

Scottah
Scottah Dork
12/19/15 6:43 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Is that powerful enough to vacuum the car carpet?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/15 6:44 p.m.

Absolutely.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/15 6:46 p.m.
Woody wrote: How about exactly five gallons? This is what I use in conjunction with a Homer Bucket. I suppose you could use a three gallon bucket. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-Head-5-gal-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-BH0100/202017218

That's the exact thing I use except mine has a Lowes logo. It works so well, it's the only shop vac I have left.

Looks like they discontinued it as well.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
12/19/15 6:51 p.m.

I have been using this one for years. Works ok though I would like a little more suction.

+

I think the vac was around $30 or so and the little detailing accessories probably added $10 or so.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
12/19/15 6:51 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

I was thinking the same thing, add to that a hose extention for more reach.

Steve.

thedanimal
thedanimal New Reader
12/19/15 10:58 p.m.

This is what I have, it's portable and does the job just fine. I am looking for something with wheels currently, but this one will always come on details given how easy it is to maneuver.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
12/20/15 8:42 a.m.

I also have a stinger, and have used it for years. Noisy but reliable and effective.

Nick, change/clean the filter around the motor. I've long noticed the relationship between this and performance on the stinger.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/20/15 8:42 a.m.

Bought this Ridgid 6 gal. vac from HD just for vehicle use. List $50, sale prolly about $40. Bought the accessory kit also plus there are a lot of separate accessories available. Adds up tho.

It is top heavy and reviews say people do dump 'em but I never have. Weights in the tank bottom would solve that. Rolls easily on concrete but I wouldn't try to drag it on gravel or through the yard. Good suction, works well on interior w/ accessories. Hook hose up to discharge for blower function. Wouldn't use this for any heavy duty work, just vehicles like said.

Prolly better vacs out there for vehicles but this works for me.

Real reason I bought it was the stainless steel tank. Who don't like SS?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/20/15 8:53 a.m.

bucket vac. i have the shop vac brand and it has more suction than any other shop vac i have. i keep it in the garage for car only. works great.

asoduk
asoduk Reader
12/20/15 10:04 a.m.

I like using a handheld/canister for the car. I have an Oreck, and had a hoover before. This is my oreck: http://amzn.to/1S28mTm

If it is fine to keep it in the garage at all times though: http://amzn.to/1S28C4F

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
12/20/15 11:18 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: I also have a stinger, and have used it for years. Noisy but reliable and effective. Nick, change/clean the filter around the motor. I've long noticed the relationship between this and performance on the stinger.

I need to get a new filter, the one in it is the one that came with it.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/20/15 11:52 a.m.

I like the idea of that bucket vac. I can put it under the bench for my media blaster rather than schlepping it up and down the stairs.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
12/20/15 2:41 p.m.
thedanimal wrote: This is what I have, it's portable and does the job just fine. I am looking for something with wheels currently, but this one will always come on details given how easy it is to maneuver.

Ditto. Santa brought mine last year. I like the small size so that its easy to carry around. I hold it in one hand and vac with the other, or sometimes set it down in the back seat while I vacuum. Its nice to keep it separate from the big shop vac, the one that's filthy with drywall dust, sawdust and other nasties you don't want to introduce near your car interior.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
12/20/15 2:52 p.m.

Based on how fast the 5ga Shop Vac BLB500 I bought last summer packed it in I'm definitely going to a Craftsman next time. They don't even answer their tech support emails in Canada.

Before it died, I also picked up a much smaller (4L, I think) Shop Vac for garage use and it's been doing gangbusters cleaning out car interiors.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YVzvj1dW7JCg0lhjbyIojmwJefGpqwjmR6tZwmIsXCrg3Bj0ZUeGWWqPernBTYxz