1 2
CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/29/15 9:19 a.m.

Time to chop off the front frame rails and add tube frame? The passenger compartment looks fine! Glad you're OK.

If you do decide to buy back and part out, someone might want just the roof section to convert their car to hardtop spec.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/29/15 9:37 a.m.
CGLockRacer wrote: Time to chop off the front frame rails and add tube frame? The passenger compartment looks fine!

Screw tube frame, add the front of a Camry...

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
3/29/15 9:56 a.m.

Sad.... Not a good time for Red SW20's :-/ I had the Towns snow plow(We only have 1) back into mine over a month ago.... I have a witness who saw the incident occur, the Mayor is denying fault... Sad to see such a clean hardtop destroyed, but glad you are okay. The tracks in my photo aren't from the plow, but our Explorer we turned around. I sent off paint samples from the Plow and samples left on and around my car, so ultimately it will be fixed, and improved.
 photo IMG_20150217_170516_720_zps28tbzaqw.jpg  photo IMG_20150217_155359_095_zpsrf9vcxix.jpg  photo IMG_20150218_135342_298_zpso5wucrzd.jpg  photo IMG_20150218_080420_240_zpsefj3pgxb.jpg Fresh Scratches on the underside of the plow.

Will
Will SuperDork
3/29/15 11:02 a.m.
CGLockRacer wrote: If you do decide to buy back and part out, someone might want just the roof section to convert their car to hardtop spec.

I thought about that part. I also wondered if someone might want so see if the whole thing could be salvaged into a LeChump car.

Will
Will SuperDork
3/31/15 5:57 p.m.

I talked with the insurance company today--they don't have a value yet, but buying the wreck back is going to be more trouble than it's worth. They will, however, let me trade the ARE Ronal R9 replicas on it now for the stock wheels. So the wheels in the below pic will probably show up in the classifieds soon if anyone is interested.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/31/15 6:02 p.m.
Will wrote: I stopped for pizza just before the wreck, and I didn't even get to eat a bite of it...

I have a solution for you.

1: Buy AE86

2: Put engine in AE86

3: ...

4: Profit!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/31/15 6:02 p.m.

why will it be more trouble?

with our buick it was simple. they said $XXXX.xx payout. if you want it back it's $YYY.yy. get title branded salvage, mail a copy, get paid.

Will
Will SuperDork
3/31/15 6:20 p.m.
patgizz wrote: why will it be more trouble?

Because they won't sell it to me directly. It's going to a dealer-only auction, so I'd have to buy a dealer license.

Also, I have no interest in an AE86, so sorry, but that plan won't happen. How crappy is the engine in those things if a 5SFE is an upgrade?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/31/15 6:23 p.m.

Ouch that sucks and finding a SW20 hardtop is difficult.

But at least the pizza is just Papa Johns.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/31/15 6:26 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: finding a SW20 hardtop is difficult.

Finding a worthwhile SW20 that is a turbo that isn't ridiculously overpriced is difficult enough. I can't imagine a hardtop only search.

Will
Will SuperDork
3/31/15 6:38 p.m.
kanaric wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: finding a SW20 hardtop is difficult.
Finding a worthwhile SW20 that is a turbo that isn't ridiculously overpriced is difficult enough. I can't imagine a hardtop only search.

Yeah, it took me months to find a hardtop 5-speed NA car. And the insurance adjuster sees no value at all in the hardtop. "Sunroof options are usually worth more, not less," he says.

Unfortunately, I can't find any even semi-credible production figures to illustrate hardtop rarity, or enough examples of sales to show a price premium.

Will
Will SuperDork
4/1/15 7:36 p.m.

Insurance is going to give me $4300 for the car, which I think is actually pretty fair. And I did take the aftermarket wheels and put the stock ones back on, so with any luck I'll find a buyer for those and get another couple hundred bucks.

The insurance adjustor said he had owned a couple Supras and was surprised at how nice my car was. He said he tried to find a way not to declare it a total loss, but didn't really have a choice.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/1/15 9:35 p.m.

You gonna eat that pizza?

Glad you walked away.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/15 10:51 p.m.

I would ask the insurance co to find you a hardtop 5 speed. You may get alot more once the realize how hard it I to replace. You should also be compensated for travel or shipping of said replacement.

It does not hurt to ask. Worst thing is they say no.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/15 8:17 a.m.
CGLockRacer wrote: Time to chop off the front frame rails and add tube frame?

+1 for this. It'll be better than it was before.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh HalfDork
4/2/15 9:20 a.m.

In reply to dean1484: This. I recently went through this with my crx si. It was old enough they used comps instead of book value. And they used 3 base model civics instead of CRX Sis.

sanman
sanman HalfDork
4/2/15 12:04 p.m.

Hey Will sorry to hear about the car. I might be interested in the wheels though. FYI, there may be a decently priced turbo for sale not too far from me and possibly an NA car as well if you are near MD.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/15 1:05 p.m.
tpwalsh wrote: It was old enough they used comps instead of book value. And they used 3 base model civics instead of CRX Sis.

See, this is why I have 3rd-party-only insurance.

Will
Will SuperDork
4/2/15 5:30 p.m.
sanman wrote: Hey Will sorry to hear about the car. I might be interested in the wheels though. FYI, there may be a decently priced turbo for sale not too far from me and possibly an NA car as well if you are near MD.

Thanks. Hit me up via the forum contact feature about the wheels so we don't clutter the thread.

I think I'm going to try a new model of car rather than try another MR2, but thanks anyway.

Will
Will SuperDork
4/12/15 1:38 p.m.

FYI, my car is now on copart if anyone wants to bid on it (open to dealers only, I believe). I have no affiliation with the car at this point, but I'm not sure a direct link would be proper here. I can answer any questions potential buyers might have about it, though.

The car has Koni yellow inserts, ARP extended wheel studs, braided stainless brake lines, and a modified ST front sway bar w/twosrus endlinks and modded mounts on the strut bodies. Aside from the airbag, some scratches on the glove box door, and probable pizza smell, the interior is pristine.

maj75
maj75 Reader
4/12/15 5:04 p.m.

Was this the other guys insurance? If not, why?

The other guys insurance can't make you accept an unfair value. They also can't force you to total your car. That's what Courts are for. They owe you what it takes to repair or replace whichever is the least. Your insurance probably can under your policy, or force arbitration.

As long as you think the offer was fair, that's what's important.

Insurance companies like to play a little game. You're not at fault, but your insurance handles your claim, cause they can do it cheaper under the terms of the policy. They then get reimbursed from the at fault insurance, who gets to pay less than they might have had to pay you directly. Win, win for the insurance companies, you, not so much.

Will
Will SuperDork
4/12/15 5:20 p.m.

The settlement is a done deal, and as I said, it was fair. I've already signed over the title and deposited the check.

e46potenza
e46potenza Reader
4/12/15 5:24 p.m.

You could get a pretty clean e46 for $4300... Just sayin

Will
Will SuperDork
4/12/15 5:41 p.m.
e46potenza wrote: You could get a pretty clean e46 for $4300... Just sayin

Zero interest in BMWs.

e46potenza
e46potenza Reader
4/12/15 5:53 p.m.