1 2 3
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/13 1:46 p.m.

We paid 16k for our Pop, they weren't going to let an Abarth go for another grand. Not that I could have gotten one anyway since The Wife needs an auto and they don't come in the sweet green color that I wanted.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
12/23/13 10:56 p.m.

In reply to Yavuz:

I have my Abarth in town.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
2/15/14 12:09 p.m.

Just to update this thread, I'm poking around some dealerships to see what 2013s are going for right now. The wife could use a new car with a warranty that I don't have to hassle with.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
2/15/14 12:34 p.m.

Got a dealer to do $4500 off and free maintenance for 3 years after a few emails. I'll see where this goes toward the end of the month, if anywhere.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
2/15/14 1:59 p.m.

My sister has one. I drive it absolutely every opportunity I get (when she lets me). I think it has one of the best-sounding engines that ever came out of a factory in stock form with the light whistle from the turbocharger (at IDLE) and the grumbly exhaust note. In sport mode, it outran my IS300.

I can't see what's not to like. I actually like the ring-inside-another-ring gauges, but obviously that's a personal preference. But they're around $20k, they're compact as all heck, they have good trunks, they look good, and four of me (average guy) can actually fit in one if needed (tight, but not uncomfortable). I think she can get 40 mpg really easily too.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
2/15/14 2:41 p.m.

I'm still entertaining the idea of a new car this spring. The auto show here in Dayton (& Cincinnati too) is next weekend, and I'm hoping to see my short-list all under one heated roof. 500 Abarth is near the top of that list, and if I can score one under $17-18k that may tip the balance.

Although my thoughts have turned (not quite) 180 degrees and hoping to see the new WRX as well. (Yes, I know I can buy two Abarth's for that...)

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
2/16/14 7:25 p.m.

It appears that you can fairly readily buy one for $18,000 or so, plus taxes and such. One dealer offered to drive "my" car 3 hours for an undoubtedly high pressure test drive.

I dealt with a funeral and an ongoing family feud today, so no fun for me.

AbarthOnly
AbarthOnly New Reader
9/21/14 10:50 p.m.

Let me start out by saying, I work in automotive and worked for VW/Audi for 11 years.

I'm so biased for the GTI it's sickening. They were my company car. I picked them EVERYTIME. I'm a VW enthusiast that raced GTI's in rallying, autoX, and even the strip. They have been my do it all my whole adult-life.

When my travel car A4 Quattro had transmission issues, I called up an old friend and started the process of buying a GTI, until they were only available in 4 dr, 2 colors, base or loaded, and a new body style was 4-6 months away.

So I looked at a Fiesta ST. -4 door only -cartoon/hot wheels styling -25k + MSRP - the interior was designed by a third grade class who just discovered a ruler - it seemed like a gimmick

I was devastated, I wanted to buy it....

So a friend has a fiat franchise, and demands I drive an Abarth. I informed him it was a chick car. He demands, and I relent.

I fell in love. It's the true successor to the original GTI.

I'VE DROVE IT 20K in 9 months. I'm 6'2", 240, and I lift so I'm not a fatty. I fit very well in the car. The seating position is different, the shifter is different, he'll, the whole car is different. The exhaust reminds me I'm a car guy. The grin factor in the city is awesome. The sport button works. It's as stable as the catholic church on the highway. (I dont know who said it wasn't but they need to lay off the drink.)

I got $6000 off MSRP. I paid $19k for a brand new hot hatch that is the least likely appliance DD I could find for under a small fortune.

If one more person tells me "it's too small", I'm going to punch them in the taint as they climb in their brodozer-mall rated-mommy truckette, cute ute. I'll take my 35-40 MPG as I jaunt around the Midwest and the south packing all my essentials and then some.

I like coconut milk, and steak. So no, I'm not some Internet warrior who read a press release and two reviews. I bought in. I drive and flog the ever-living piss out of the little Italian bastard with a smile on my face.

If your interested in an Abarth, stop on by and ask us. AbarthOnly on Facebook groups

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
9/21/14 11:48 p.m.

Congrats on the purchase! Sounds like you are enjoying it! Driving a few myself, I see it as the spiritual successor to hot hatches that so many have grown to love over the past few decades. I just had trouble with going from one FWD hot hatch that's paid off to another that isn't.

I still haven't bought anything yet. It sometimes takes me all day to decide what I'm having for dinner, so it's no surprise that I will weigh auto purchases for a year before reaching a decision.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
9/22/14 12:29 a.m.

I test drove one and I really liked it, except that the seats and steering column don't have enough adjustment for me to sit in it comfortably. The seats in the 500 turbo are a little better, but its still not as good as most other new cars.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/22/14 6:39 a.m.

In reply to AbarthOnly:

Are you Abarthonly on Instagram? (I'm rallyxguy)

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
9/22/14 8:30 a.m.

Is this even possible? 2014 Abarth for $17.2k? http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/617365308/overview/

AbarthOnly
AbarthOnly New Reader
9/22/14 11:37 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Is this even possible? 2014 Abarth for $17.2k? http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/617365308/overview/

I actually own a car buying service. Feel free to message me and I can help

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
9/23/14 12:04 a.m.

I looked at a pop last year. I really liked the interior. It makes amazing use of it's limited interior space. I'm 6' tall, 32" inseam, and a 50"(2XL) chest. Up front had ample room, I could go for hours. Back seat was useable for short trip.

I also looked at a fiesta, a car I wanted to love so badly. Up front was cramped and the back seat was a joke. Or maybe a moderately sized storage area disguised as a seat.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pGMvVHySPEweWceUhqaeV7DPzqS8qaxC6qDRjvHr012q3STuXJuebFRlg4E5LPFO