1 ... 7 8 9 10
Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/25/24 1:46 p.m.

We interrupt this rebuild thread for...

Recon!!

TNIA at PittRace.  Been a few since we've run here so a refresher would be good. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/26/24 9:23 p.m.

On to the more mundane stuff...changing fluids. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/26/24 9:24 p.m.

Here's what we use...

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/27/24 9:19 a.m.

Did a fuel run this am to see what kind of MPG we are getting.  64 miles used 2.6 gallons of E85...which comes out to a little over 24 MPG.  That exceeds my expectations of 20, so we should be able to make the fuel plan work.  Yay!

Of course, that was an unloaded car, single occupant and with no aero -- so things will likely be somewhat worse than that. 

I'm going to continue to plan for 20 MPG, and use only 10 of the 12 gallon tank capacity.  We'll carry one full 5-gallon jug for emergency use.  Worst case, this engine will run on pump 93 but octane rating gets really critical at that point to avoid knock.

Edit ==> It occurs to me that we'll actually get better mileage up north in the colder areas where E85 has lower ethanol % this time of year.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/27/24 6:05 p.m.

Sealed our air dam to the splitter with some RTV.  

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/27/24 6:10 p.m.

Here's how we're going to protect our splitter for transits.

+1" ride height at each corner via damper body length adjustment.  Takes about five minutes per corner.  

Side benefit is one degree less camber for better wear,, and front toe goes from slightly out to 1/8" in.  Much nicer on the Highway. 

PS: Ignore the 17's on front...just burning them up with street use. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/27/24 9:19 p.m.

More splitter detail work: tow hook hole and trimmed dam to match lower radiator opening. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/27/24 9:37 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:

We interrupt this rebuild thread for...

Recon!!

TNIA at PittRace.  Been a few since we've run here so a refresher would be good. 

is that a "borrowed" 330e for Recon duty?

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/27/24 9:39 p.m.

There's 10w30  VR1 !?

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/27/24 9:41 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

Money may have changed hands, so not exactly "borrowed".

Oh, and its a 530e, not 3 series.  I'd have rather had the 3, but this is what I ended up with.

The whole hybrid thing is kinda weird...can't tell if the car is on or off...or even what that means.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/27/24 9:42 p.m.
Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/28/24 10:14 a.m.

Built a fuel plan this am...still need to call each and check availability.  Used range of approximately 200 miles. 

RB
RB GRM+ Member
4/28/24 12:35 p.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

Enjoying the updates Andy.

Once One Lap starts will you be updating here?

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/28/24 12:41 p.m.
RB said:

In reply to Andy Hollis :

Once One Lap starts will you be updating here?

I believe we will be starting a Live Thread.  Will put a link here once it is up.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/28/24 1:40 p.m.

Hmmm...better do something about this...

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/28/24 1:41 p.m.

Help is on the way!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/28/24 3:59 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

Money may have changed hands, so not exactly "borrowed".

Oh, and its a 530e, not 3 series.  I'd have rather had the 3, but this is what I ended up with.

The whole hybrid thing is kinda weird...can't tell if the car is on or off...or even what that means.

I'd agree on the 330e... other than the ~4k lb curb weight.  kinda odd to think one might advantageously remove sound deadening so you'd have a better idea what the hybrid system is doing (among other settings).   also, fortunately the pack cells are available to buy (the $10k price tag not withstanding... is still better than the ActiveHybrids).

Annnnd... now back to the more "old skool hybrid" content.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/28/24 5:16 p.m.

Speaking of electricity...

Amazon just dropped off this car charger for my laptop so I can work on the transit tune while Tom drives. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/28/24 5:30 p.m.

Meanwhile back in the shop...

CRX climate control getting secured.  

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/28/24 5:32 p.m.

And we glued our broken glove box back together.  Race car vibrations and old brittle plastic are a bad combo.  Both the latch and one of the hinges had broken off. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/28/24 6:13 p.m.

Looking more like a street car...and now we have a place to put any citations we collect. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/29/24 11:04 a.m.

Last minute fiberglass repair to fix some flex caused by a hood fly-off incident a couple months ago.   Yeah, I was that guy that day..,

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/29/24 12:12 p.m.

Much improved gap fit at the leading edge (look at earlier pics for comparo)

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/29/24 3:29 p.m.

Forecast looking questionable.  Stocked up on wet weather supplies.  Dawn is anti-fogger when you don't have ac. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/29/24 10:17 p.m.

Final nut and bolt check complete.  Including brand new lug nuts.  We buy Gorilla brand in bulk because of all the tire testing we do. 

1 ... 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qDn1YmYDECjFX7FkAFxasz9dn5Hmphk3MvTeZ70ss8d5Ca4lrFlX9LnChkcfDIn2