1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/24/23 11:17 a.m.
frenchyd said:
alfadriver said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Are you actually saying that your fire suppression system would have killed you while putting out a fire?

Time 

I was on the opposite side of the car from being able to activate it. ( by the right rear wheel)  I did the right thing,  stop drop and roll. 
 If I'd tried to activate the system I'd have been dead. 

No, what you're saying is, that you didn't properly install the the fire suppression system. 

If you're already out of the car, you're safe, berkeley the car. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/24/23 11:31 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

You need to improve your reading skills.   Or comprehension. The activation for the fire system was easily reached from the drivers seat.  I was working at the right rear.  
         Now let me spray you with gasoline and ignite it.   

How long would it take you to get into a position where you activate it and have it extinguish the flames?   
   Or you can do the Stop drop and roll maneuver that I did. 

Maybe without the formal training the Navy provided me, you might have tried to run around  the car  fanning the flames?  Or dive  over  the cockpit ( fanning flames ).   Here's a picture of the car. 
  Not only did I not get burned. But I didn't have a mess to clean up and the need to find a recharged system  before I could go racing.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/24/23 12:16 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
frenchyd said:

How about a rule like NHRA  has?  This fast, this much equipment and safety. Faster , you need more and better.         

I've always been dubious about those kinds of rules, there's nothing magic about those breakpoints as they relate to fire/etc.  It also leads to people sandbagging at the end so as not to go fast enough that they'll get kicked out.

In any event, to the extent that those rules work, it's only because the course is the same everywhere.

Sandbagging just means someone goes only so fast.   At least they are in control.   That's quite a skill. I think it's called bracket racing.  Only able to go so fast?    To go no faster

that a 10.29/9?   Judge things that closely?   
  What if you accidentally go a 10:30/3 ?   Well you lose.  ( and the slower car wins).    One sure thing.  You're in control.  Not likely to be in an accident.  
   Apply the same thing to lap times.  You go under the allowed lap time, you're black flagged. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
2/24/23 1:24 p.m.

In reply to steronz :

We are pretty much on the same page; it comes down to comfort level and as you said drawing a line somewhere.  

If we were trying to be really safe we wouldn't participate in this sport at all.

Of course I'm of the opinion that a track day is safer than my commute to work.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/24/23 2:23 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to z31maniac :

You need to improve your reading skills.   Or comprehension. The activation for the fire system was easily reached from the drivers seat.  I was working at the right rear.  

How long would it take you to get into a position where you activate it and have it extinguish the flames?   

Maybe without the formal training the Navy provided me, you might have tried to run around  the car  fanning the flames?  Or dive  over  the cockpit ( fanning flames ).   Here's a picture of the car. 
  Not only did I not get burned. But I didn't have a mess to clean up and the need to find a recharged system  before I could go racing.  

You need to stop being a condescending prick .

Telling me I need reading comprehension while quoting yourself and saying the opposite. 

You said "I was on the opposite side of the car from being able to activate it." So how am I wrong saying you did a poor job installing it? 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/24/23 2:25 p.m.
frenchyd said:
alfadriver said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Are you actually saying that your fire suppression system would have killed you while putting out a fire?

Time 

I was on the opposite side of the car from being able to activate it. ( by the right rear wheel)  I did the right thing,  stop drop and roll. 
 If I'd tried to activate the system I'd have been dead. 

Quoted for posterity. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/24/23 2:34 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Sandbagging just means someone goes only so fast.

I know what it means as far as the racing rules are concerned, and that's not what I'm talking about.

A car that is built to do 9s but due to sandbagging is only going 12s should have more safety gear requirements than a car that is only built to do 12s.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/24/23 4:32 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

But was it a Jaguar?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/23 5:13 p.m.
z31maniac said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to z31maniac :

You need to stop being a condescending prick .

Telling me I need reading comprehension while quoting yourself and saying the opposite. 

You said "I was on the opposite side of the car from being able to activate it." So how am I wrong saying you did a poor job installing it? 

I don't see how the car's onboard fire system would be expected to provide protection for someone outside the car, messing around the back wheel. That's a different question than wearing the right gear at a track day or on the street. It's actually irrelevant to the conversation, as that's a workshop problem and not a racing problem.

If you're screwing around with gasoline and you think there's a chance it'll light off (which there always is), then you put a portable fire extinguisher within reach. There's a reason a lot of racing orgs require someone to be standing by in full gear with an extinguisher at the ready when fueling - I've been that person at the Thunderhill 25. The driver is protected by the car's system, the person outside the car is protected by their own gear plus the person standing by.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/24/23 6:40 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Really?! 
 You think I should have installed it so that I could activate it from the far right side instead of near the driver?   
  Really?!  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/23 7:00 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Oh, just stop. 

You brought up an irrelevant story, that your required suppression system wouldn't have helped you when you had a gasoline fire when you were outside the car. Of course it wouldn't. Nobody would ever expect it to.

You took the wrong message from that, that the fire suppression system wouldn't have helped at all. Instead, you were a hero in your story for knowing the right thing to do after setting yourself on fire without the right safety equipment. The lesson here is not "fire systems are a waste of money" but "I was not correctly prepared to be working on the fuel system and got lucky". Yours is the sort of episode that results in regulations, it's not an illustration of why regulations are bad/pointless.

jeffrey_baker
jeffrey_baker New Reader
2/7/24 9:09 p.m.

jeffrey_baker
jeffrey_baker New Reader
2/7/24 9:09 p.m.

Track day. First day wearing a HANS. 

do it. 

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike Reader
7/19/24 11:24 a.m.

I always wear just a cotton tee and cotton gym shorts and flip flops to events for comfort and throw all the gear on just for driving and take it all off in between sessions to stay cool and helps some of the sweat dry too. I stay cool and dont walk around the paddock looking like a wanna be pro driver. 

After my first couple HPDE's i figured I'm doing as many track days as I can in life and I want to go home to my family in mostly the same condition i left. In addition to the manditory Snell helmet I've added Simpson hybrid S, used SFI race suit from Race Image, SFI gloves/socks/baclava/shoes. Also have a fire suppression system sitting on the shelf... Took a few years to collect everything but I feel a lot better that I have them and don't care if anyone thinks its overboard for "only" track days. 

I also have a summer flight suit I picked up from the surplus store i keep now as spare in case passengers need one. At a recent track day I wore it for a session since temps were in the high 90s and it felt hotter than my breathable SFI suit.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/19/24 11:39 a.m.

In reply to StuntmanMike :

Fire burns just as hot at track event as it does on race day, right? 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/19/24 12:01 p.m.

This revival is a perfect example of, well, you all know.

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike Reader
7/22/24 12:53 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

some of us dont know

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
7/22/24 1:27 p.m.

In reply to StuntmanMike :

One of the many examples of why user "frenchyd" was shown the door.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UsNROFATESWHeXeIIeWpGf08W1yIm85cZ49QaWeCTC5QRUztpAHkSZ5Unfs3BK6k