1 2 3
Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
3/6/15 2:48 p.m.

Well after all the research and going back and forth with various cars, and missing out on deals for a few other cars, I ended up with another Porsche. I made the deal Tuesday and paid for the car Wednesday, but won't pick it up until this nasty weather passes. It's an 87 911 Turbo, guards red with black interior. I've had my 85 Carrera for around 15 years, but have always wanted a turbo, so the Carrera now has it's big brother to share garage space with. Pics to follow once I get it home.

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
3/6/15 2:51 p.m.

WOW! congratulations! i have always wanted one. love the wide body. i can't wait to see the pictures.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/6/15 2:58 p.m.

Oh wow, I've always wanted one of those. Pics!

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
3/6/15 2:58 p.m.

I absolutely love the wide body. I wanted the turbo way back when I bought my 85 911, but couldn't swing the difference in price.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/6/15 4:13 p.m.

930 ftmfw!!!

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/6/15 5:08 p.m.

This made me look into prices on aircooled 911s, and I about shat my pants.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/15 6:31 a.m.

Was there a wide body na version from the factory? I seem to remember one or am I mistaken?

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
3/7/15 9:31 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Yeah, they did make an n/a wide body.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
3/7/15 2:32 p.m.

I went to the bosserman aviation viper auction(I know that's not what the auction was for but I'm not interested in fueling trucks), sad to see those cars not getting much action. Hope the new owners use them.

Saw his old trailer at the Mazda dealership today so maybe the owner bought some of the vipers too.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
3/7/15 3:24 p.m.

In reply to chandlerGTi:

I didn't know about that auction. Did the cars sell for decent money or did they go cheap?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
3/7/15 4:25 p.m.

I thought they were expensive, I'm cheap though so I went hoping for a deal. There were deals on equipment and trucks but I'm not in the market for what they were selling.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
3/9/15 9:03 a.m.

Here are a couple of pics from the PPI. I'll have more once I gte it home and detailed.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/15 9:32 a.m.

Beautiful!

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/9/15 9:34 a.m.

Well done.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/9/15 9:34 a.m.

Very cool! Is that a half cage lurking in the back?

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/9/15 9:36 a.m.

Wow.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
3/9/15 9:38 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: Very cool! Is that a half cage lurking in the back?

Yeah, it has a roll bar, but I'm not sure if I'll leave it in or not. The person representing the car for the former owner (deceased) said he didn't track it, but wanted the bar for safety reasons. It also has a larger turbo, intercooler, and aftermarket exhaust.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
3/9/15 10:43 a.m.
Cotton wrote: Here are a couple of pics from the PPI. I'll have more once I gte it home and detailed.

Mmmffff. These are way cooler than a Viper IMO. And a better investment if you're into that sort if thing

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/15 10:49 a.m.
Cotton wrote: It also has a larger turbo, intercooler, and aftermarket exhaust.

Also for safety reasons... Great car that will definitely appreciate. Congrats!

octavious
octavious HalfDork
3/9/15 11:26 a.m.

Nice. Is that Wiki's shop? I think the name was Renntag motors or motorworks in Nashville?

I thought all Turbos from that era came with sport seats. It looks like regular seats in there.

And nice score, that car will only appreciate.

unevolved said: This made me look into prices on aircooled 911s, and I about shat my pants.

I know right? Freaking exploded lately. If I hadn't promised mine to my kid...

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
3/9/15 12:14 p.m.

In reply to octavious:

Yeah, that is Wickey's place. He did my last three PPIs and never steered me wrong, so when he vouched for this car I didn't hesitate to buy.

Sport seats were an option. Mine doesn't have them, but I sure wish it did.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/9/15 1:49 p.m.

The 930 models have skyrocketed in price. No clue where you bought it, but you should end up making money on it!

A friend sold a low mileage 964 Turbo a few years ago for $55k. It turned up on Pelican for sale recently and was listed for $100k!

octavious
octavious HalfDork
3/9/15 2:03 p.m.

Yeah man he is a very good dude in my book. I had an idling issue with a 3.2 that I just could not track down. I was on the verge of loosing it and I finally broke down and took it to a shop. It was Wickey's. He did right by me and found that it was a warbled out hole on the back of the pulley, he told me, and he fixed it. That is awesome because the next step would have been to start a teardown of the motor. We were at that point.

I have always, always heard good things about him.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
3/9/15 2:16 p.m.

In reply to octavious:

He's a great guy..I've known him for over 15 years. I bought my first Porsche, which was a very well used 944 Turbo, THEN I took it to him to get looked over. That was when I learned the hard lesson about getting a PPI beforehand.

In reply to dyintorace:

I'm very happy I was able to get this car. I feel like I got a good deal on it, which is almost impossible with 930s these days, and plan to hang onto it and enjoy it for a long time.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
3/9/15 6:07 p.m.

When you want to sell it at a massive loss could you let me know?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fq0apOmayqNmdoLIcao87uTGafucKRp3gZk41u2iH4SlSTBzZje5ddBxrQAjzy4Y