1 2
JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
3/20/16 1:01 a.m.

It seems like these things aren't talked about too much, and I haven't seen one on the street in quite a long time. But I think this pic looks pretty rad, and I saw one for sale yesterday (which reminded me that they exist), so I thought I would ask what people think about them.

AntiArrhythmic
AntiArrhythmic Reader
3/20/16 6:43 a.m.

I think they are cool cars. The Prelude was Hondas flagship performance car before the S2k. I used to hate on them because they are heavy compared to a civic, but now I think the extra weight is worth it.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
3/20/16 7:41 a.m.

They are pretty solid performing cars, but I can't get past the 4th-gen styling. I'd rather have the much more handsome BB6-chassis car.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
3/20/16 8:12 a.m.

I like pretty much every generation of the Prelude, but haven't driven one. Boy do they rust up here.

AntiArrhythmic
AntiArrhythmic Reader
3/20/16 9:02 a.m.

In reply to NickD:

Really? I prefer the 4th gen styling. Much more classic Japanese in my opinion. Also the 5th gen is even heavier. Of it would be easier to find a clean 5th gen.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/20/16 9:20 a.m.

I like them but never adjusted to the interior. Also, it's really hard to find an unmolested one these days thanks to the tuner craze of the late 90's and early 00's. For whatever reason, the tuner kids pretty much ignored the 5th gen though, so they are much easier to find.

HunterBenz
HunterBenz New Reader
3/20/16 9:25 a.m.

I think 5th gen got ignored because of cost. The 5th gens I see around are more just tastefull rims and lowered a little.

I agree about the interior of the 4th gen, just flat ugly (dash mostly). They were pretty darn capable cars though. JUN made a pretty darn awesome one.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
3/20/16 12:14 p.m.

Do those have the same engine as the 5th gen one? Most of those I see smoke badly with the whole back of the car covered in soot, and usually sound really bad from being low on oil/run low too many times.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
3/20/16 12:57 p.m.

I kinda like the goofy interior, although it's funny they took the same general approach to dash design as the guys who did the Buick Park Avenue of the same era.

outasite
outasite Reader
3/20/16 12:59 p.m.

I had a 98 5 speed and really liked the car and engine. Sold it to buy WRX. A couple of years after, I saw car in parking lot and was looking at it when owner approached. First thing she said was it is not for sale. By then car was 9-10 years old and dd by original owner and her in Minnesota. No rust issues at that age.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/20/16 7:03 p.m.

Yeah, I like the gen 5 better too. They are pricely when you find a nice one though! I really would like a black SH....

beans
beans Dork
3/24/16 9:52 a.m.

If you're looking at a 4th gen... buy a 5th gen. Already get 5-lugs, a much more normal interior, and they seemed to sell a lot more of the 5th gens. The worst part of the car is the H-engine(which is also a very big plus), but only because it has FRM sleeves and a pretty high rate of ring failure from improper maintenance.

I love them, they're basically just a sportier Accord.

If you like modifying and starting with a more vanilla base, look at the 4th ang 5th gen Accords as well. Lots of parts swappage and are VERY fun to drive when modified, not to mention a little lighter and a LOT better parts availability. I love my 5th gen coupe and run a decent amount of Prelude stuff on it(brakes, shifter, other parts and pieces).

Groats
Groats New Reader
3/27/16 8:24 p.m.

As somebody who knows virtually nothing about Hondas, why would you want a Prelude over an Integra?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/27/16 8:31 p.m.

In reply to Groats:

At this point it's mostly because there seem to be more halfway decent ones left. Also they aren't quite the theft magnets that Integras are.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/28/16 7:47 a.m.

I think the 4th gen outperform/more mod-able than the 5th gen but I like the way the 5th gen looks better.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
3/28/16 9:47 a.m.

Wow. Can't believe some people are preferring the 5th gen styling over the 4th. Always thought the 4th were very cool looking cars. The 5th gen is incredibly awkward-looking in the front. Those headlights are just terrible. There's no accounting for taste.

That said, the only Prelude I've ever owned was a nice low-mileage 5th gen 5-speed, and it was awesome. Well, other than the headlights.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/16 10:22 a.m.

First Gen (Old School Cool) Second Gen (Grill between lights) Third Gen (4WS)
Fourth Gen (VTEC)
Fifth Gen (SH)

I prefer the 5th Gen styling. I guess the issue was the Civic was lighter and easier to modify, and the Prelude was FWD, so many people didn't see the advantage.

johndej
johndej Reader
3/28/16 10:31 a.m.

Love the 4th gens. Buddy had one growing up w/ the H22 and ran like hell. His brother raced one in H2 class and won the championship in like 2004 or so over some S2Ks and Integra type Rs. Hell of a driver didn't hurt.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
3/28/16 11:50 a.m.

I loved my 5th Gen, very basic outside and inside but it was a fun car to drive. I also had an Integra (one was broken into and one wasn't, I'll let you guess which was which ).

If given the choice I'd probably go Integra for the aftermarket and the hatch, but Preludes are very cool cars.

Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
3/28/16 1:16 p.m.

The 4th gen never looked like a Prelude to me. 1-3 & 5 did.

The 4th gen looked like an Anime version of a Civic sedan cross with a CR-X and they never decided which look they wanted.

=

It was a nice car, but I never thought it looked like a Prelude nor did I like it better than any of the other Preludes.

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
3/28/16 2:32 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: The 4th gen never looked like a Prelude to me. 1-3 & 5 did.

I'd agree with this statement. It was a bit "before it's time" in terms of styling (especially the dash!) and it didn't fit the evolution of the car very well.

Aside from that, they seemed like good cars. I would definitely take a 4th gen Vtec with an H22A. They are also 200 lbs lighter then a 5th Gen.

If I had a choice between a 4th gen or a 5th I would take the 5th though. I owned a 3rd gen Si from 99-04 and I lusted over the 5th gens in the worst way but they were way out of my price range in those days. Certainly affordable now but they just don't fit my needs.

trucke
trucke Dork
3/29/16 8:18 a.m.

They can fly!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/16 9:19 a.m.

odd, I liked the 4th better than the 5th. Something about it flowed better

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
3/30/16 11:20 a.m.

I think the biggest issue with the Preludes of all generations is that, generally, you could buy and modify an Accord for much cheaper. Now, that seems to be changing with the price of CB Accords starting to rise and good condition 5th/6th gens mostly retaining their value. 4th and 5th gen 'ludes dropping and, similarly, a lot of the "cheap" Accords now are so worn and battered. From my C-list searches and general impression it seems that Preludes are a good buy right now.

viccath5
viccath5 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/30/16 12:03 p.m.

I owned a 94 vtec for four years starting in 98. Loved that car, except the dash. My personalized plate was V Lude that plate caused me more problems, most people thought it was drug related.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
apZY1ksEzxO9jzQSSzyHv1FmWrK2hG4Sv3PwOl61lhoQONHfxCWWCaAOoAOENNoA