1 2
DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
11/25/15 3:50 p.m.

...modify the gauge cluster on your 944.
Or if you do, dont post about it on Rennlist.

D2W
D2W Reader
11/25/15 3:56 p.m.

Typical porsche purist bs. Its a car, do what you want to it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
11/25/15 4:12 p.m.

One portion there had me questioning whether either of them could bust a smooth lap. The one guy said basically, "Its a Porsche, the way it comes is perfect." and the other guy said he watched the tach through corners to see whether he was going faster or not.

Maybe an early 944 is slow enough you can do that, but I'm generally way too busy to look at the dash in the middle of a corner.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/25/15 4:29 p.m.

I can't speak, I took the "soul" out of my RX7 when I installed 5.0. Despite the fact that I quadrupled the horsepower and added just 20lbs, which is at the rear.

nervousdog
nervousdog HalfDork
11/25/15 4:46 p.m.

Well, that seals it. I will stay off of Rennlist once I buy my Boxster. I'd hate to incur their wrath for using an unapproved MP3 player or something.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
11/25/15 4:49 p.m.

Wait till they see what I'm doing to 928s lol

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
11/25/15 4:52 p.m.

Hmmmmm, I'm guessing they wouldn't like a BEAMS and a 6 speed swap either.....

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
11/25/15 4:57 p.m.

I've seen more ruined 944s than good ones. At least this guy is an enthusiast.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/15 5:04 p.m.

Yeah, Rennlist is a great source for information, but I didn't post there very much just because of the elitism that tends to find its way to the fan around there.

That said, they'd probably hate the fact that I relocated the tach on my 924 to the center by swapping it with the speedometer. Cause after all Porsche never modifies or alters their cars..... except for all of them, ever, especially the racing versions. Its not like they are an engineering firm or anything....

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
11/25/15 5:43 p.m.

You guys are the best! I just wanted to restore my car and kind of just (you know) drive it . Where all the lap time stuff came in I have no idea. Oh yeah a 911 guy. Lol. The video was just supposed to be a helpful suggestion.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/15 5:57 p.m.

I have swapped the tach and the steedo back and forth several times in my 924s there are advantages to both.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/15 5:59 p.m.

I have swapped the tach and the steedo back and forth several times in my 924s there are advantages to both.

smike
smike New Reader
11/25/15 6:20 p.m.

If you want a good laugh. This was good fodder for OppoLock.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/you-know-what-they-say-people-in-glass-houses-sink-sh-1744606215

Streetwiseguy wrote: One portion there had me questioning whether either of them could bust a smooth lap. The one guy said basically, "Its a Porsche, the way it comes is perfect." and the other guy said he watched the tach through corners to see whether he was going faster or not. Maybe an early 944 is slow enough you can do that, but I'm generally way too busy to look at the dash in the middle of a corner.

You bet I can :) While in the corner its quite easy to look down for a hair and get a read at: turn in, apex, and track out. I do this regardless of how fast a car is - Spec 944, 997 Cup, etc.

Smooth laps get track records. Track records help secure a nice pole position. Pole positions win races. Races win championships. Have a few of those ;)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
11/25/15 7:28 p.m.

Yeah, I have some of those things. Slumming it in a Dodge, though...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/15 7:40 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: I can't speak, I took the "soul" out of my RX7 when I installed 5.0. Despite the fact that I quadrupled the horsepower and added just 20lbs, which is at the rear.

Neither can I, I took out a 12A and installed a 13B. 13Bs are loser engines, without the purity of spirit that a stock 12A had.

Wait, that is actually how I feel. I justified it by dint of the car having already been ruined because the previous owner took out the "rat's nest" so it was no longer stock, and therefore basically just a pile of scrap that hadn't been weighed yet.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/15 7:46 p.m.
nderwater wrote: I've seen more ruined 944s than good ones. At least this guy is an enthusiast.

I see occasionally a 928 that had a perfect steering wheel, that the guy took some sandpaper to and stuck a big chrome Porsche shield to the center with a big ugly glob of adhesive. Pink double wiper blades look less tacky.

And then there's the big Turbo badges stuck on the back and sides.

I can sort of understand and respect Porsche elitism, in the face of the kind of people who would do... that.

OTOH it cuts both ways. I remember some Porsche whiner (whiner is the term) who was railing hard against bullet-nosed wheel studs because they increased unsprung and rotating weight.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/15 10:04 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: I can't speak, I took the "soul" out of my RX7 when I installed 5.0. Despite the fact that I quadrupled the horsepower and added just 20lbs, which is at the rear.

I've taken multiple cars right down to a bare shell. I still haven't found the soul module in any of them.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/25/15 11:17 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner: the search continues....

Imagine how the Rennlist crew would shudder if they knew I had a 996TT.

MrLittle
MrLittle New Reader
11/26/15 6:22 a.m.

photo 20151125_151614_zpsmuoy4urp.jpg

Wonder how they would feel about this.....

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
11/26/15 6:52 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: One portion there had me questioning whether either of them could bust a smooth lap. The one guy said basically, "Its a Porsche, the way it comes is perfect." and the other guy said he watched the tach through corners to see whether he was going faster or not. Maybe an early 944 is slow enough you can do that, but I'm generally way too busy to look at the dash in the middle of a corner.

LOL … yeah, folk ask me all the time how fast I was going through (insert corner number) and I laugh … even in my STS built CRX I'm going way too fast to be looking at the speedO or the tach

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
11/26/15 7:04 a.m.

What?! You cant just listen to your car and tell the RPM, then while racing calculate the RPM and gear ratio to figure out your vehicle speed? I bet that turd on rennlist can.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
11/26/15 8:00 a.m.

Will
Will SuperDork
11/26/15 8:21 a.m.

When I posted on the Vintage Thunderbird Club International site about my plan to put a 4.6 DOHC in my rust-free, California-native 57, the response was not favorable. But the car turned out great and everyone who sees it loves it.

Build the car you want, not the car other people want.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/15 8:27 a.m.

Nice mod, if I had a 944 I'd do the same thing. Makes the tach more visible and and conventional (vs the stock upside-down and backwards-sweeping tach).

smike
smike New Reader
11/26/15 8:44 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
LOL … yeah, folk ask me all the time how fast I was going through (insert corner number) and I laugh … even in my STS built CRX I'm going way too fast to be looking at the speedO or the tach

Ah, you should see the notes we take after each session and the data logging we have as well. I suggest checking out Ross Bentley's https://speedsecrets.com/. He's a super coach, guy, and shares a ton of great info.

AX, rally, road racing - we all do it at the top level.

Here is a cool excerpt: https://books.google.com/books?id=rM_pQyb2t5AC&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=taking+notes+after+each+session+ross+bentley&source=bl&ots=7p-yIaxKl9&sig=r8d9_ZiYbelXuGvX0cqM1pycDMY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4puSNqq7JAhUGNj4KHeCpBJAQ6AEIOzAE#v=onepage&q=taking%20notes%20after%20each%20session%20ross%20bentley&f=false

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5xr56RraZYozHD89h5fRXuX2GbZ4iUkLSuRbD73WdLAXl0nSgE1vAez5J2ngPvDE