1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/10/21 7:10 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

77-79. 80 got the flat rear glass. I lust after a 78 with the 88-90 front and rear ends, a cammed 4.8 and t-56.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/10/21 7:17 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Appleseed :

77-79. 80 got the flat rear glass. I lust after a 78 with the 88-90 front and rear ends, a cammed 4.8 and t-56.

And all the suspension and brake upgrades from the LT1 9C1s. Yeah, I feel you 100%.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/10/21 7:24 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Can't remember the last time I saw a regular front-drive, Toyota-built Nova, but back in the day, it was popular car at school--several friends drove them. 

So how about the Twin Cam Nova? 

Ahh yea. The Toylet

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 New Reader
7/10/21 7:39 a.m.

Pontiac G8 GXP. 6.2L, Tremec 6 speed, 415hp. Same chassis platform as the Chevy Camaro, with this drivetrain it was basically a 4 door Camaro SS.

I don't have one, but I do drive an '09 G8 GT - not quite as rare, but just as much fun. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
7/10/21 9:40 a.m.

I had a 1988  Pontica Mera and it is my absolute favorite factory/dealer special. Sued out of existance but a really cool car at the time. 

Pick of the Day: 1988 Pontiac Mera | ClassicCars.com Journal

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/10/21 11:42 a.m.
johndej said:

Dodge Spirit R/T

There's my vote.  I owned one in college.  Super laggy, but my gawd once the boost came on it was impossible not to giggle.  Only about ~1450 made, compared to eleven kajillion of the boring Spirit/Acclaim/LeBaron trim levels.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/10/21 12:12 p.m.
Appleseed said:
yupididit said:
David S. Wallens said:

And one a bit more old school. Growing up, everyone had a 1977-'85 Impala/Caprice--including my grandparents. (We had the Malibu.)

The cool Impala from that time period? Those coupes.

Those lines. These are impala coupes? 

They made coupes till 86. The bubble back window was only available early. Might have been 77 only. 

I found a couple for sale. They were $12k+ like what

lol

Edit: there's a 77 coupe in Dallas for $1200

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Dork
7/10/21 12:22 p.m.

A rare panther: the 1992 Crown Victoria Touring Sedan. One year only. 

Sidewayze
Sidewayze Reader
7/10/21 1:13 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

I wouldn't call the Focus RS a unicorn version... it's mostly the same as a regular Focus hatch, and it seems like RSs outnumber STs on the roads two to one.

Now, a unicorn Focus...

I have seen exactly one of these.  It was so unusual I took a pic to show off the "Euro spec Focus" that I saw on the road.

(trying to steer thread back to the concept of "unicorn normal cars" and not special editions)

Actually, I'm pretty sure Europe never got those.  That is a North American thing, methinks.

I've seen lots here in Canada.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/10/21 1:16 p.m.

What about the Lebanon GTC?  

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/10/21 1:22 p.m.

Not a Chevy Cobalt but a Pontiac G5.

David S. Wallens
7/10/21 1:24 p.m.

And maybe even more rare, not a Chevy Aveo but a Pontiac G3. 

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
7/10/21 1:27 p.m.
Sidewayze said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

I wouldn't call the Focus RS a unicorn version... it's mostly the same as a regular Focus hatch, and it seems like RSs outnumber STs on the roads two to one.

Now, a unicorn Focus...

I have seen exactly one of these.  It was so unusual I took a pic to show off the "Euro spec Focus" that I saw on the road.

(trying to steer thread back to the concept of "unicorn normal cars" and not special editions)

Actually, I'm pretty sure Europe never got those.  That is a North American thing, methinks.

I've seen lots here in Canada.

Specifically the coupe version is the kind of rare version because it's the only time that they made a Focus Coupe (aside from the unique hardtop convertible coupe-type thing sold in Europe) and  yes, it is an update to the first-gen platform built for North America as opposed to the second-gen that the rest of the world got. The other weird thing is they completely quit making hatchbacks for those years, then brought them back when the third-gen reunited the NA and world markets. (Wagons went away too, but those didn't come back...in North America anyway)

I may have way too much pointless Ford Focus knowledge rattling around in my head.

randyracer
randyracer New Reader
7/10/21 2:22 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

And the even more ultra-rare stick wagon version, Sportcross, wasn't it?  They raced a couple in pro street stock road racing back when.  Pretty sure Andy Lally was a driver.

randyracer
randyracer New Reader
7/10/21 2:25 p.m.

Hey, how 'bout the last year or two of the Volvo 740 and 240, when they finally got a real five-speed, the M47, not the overdrive M46.  Though one might argue that the overdrive is cooler in a vintage way, I certainly don't think any other cars had them into 1990!

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
7/10/21 3:41 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I had a 1979 Impala coupe with the cool aero style rear window. I believe it was 1977-1979 for that window. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/21 3:49 p.m.

I had a friend who drove a silver Granada ESS sedan with a three speed stick and red interior.

David S. Wallens
7/10/21 4:20 p.m.

While growing up, a mid-'70s Dodge Monaco wasn't too uncommon–like the Blues Mobile but before the connection.

I knew a family that had a Monaco sedan with a--wait for it--manual transmission hooked to a column shifter. Some quick poking around says that the column-shifted, three-speed manual came standard with the inline-six engine.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/10/21 4:33 p.m.

Single cab, short box, Cummins Dodge.

I would love one.

Matt
Matt Reader
7/10/21 7:39 p.m.

If I had to suggest a car, true to the title of the post, it would be the AWD Ford Tempo, very rare even in the day, I drove a V6 version of the anemic commuter car that soaked up all the mediocrity the 80's had to offer.

however, I always felt from a racers perspective, this was a stone not turned.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/11/junkyard-find-1989-ford-tempo-all-wheel-drive/

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/10/21 9:57 p.m.

In reply to Matt :

Trust me as a former tempo and topaz owner there was nothing racecar-like about those turds. 

j_tso
j_tso Reader
7/10/21 10:51 p.m.
ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/11/21 7:19 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Probably should have mentioned this one earlier. Back in school, I drove an '82 Accord--just like everyone one else on campus. Those early '80 Accords were just everywhere: roomy, reliable, the entire package. Totally loved mine. (Yes, it had a five-speed.)

Triumph, yes, the British company, sold a rebadged Accord under its own label. 

Overly pedantic correction -- but I'm almost positive that's a four-door Civic, and not an Accord.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
7/11/21 7:48 a.m.

This is my 1994 M-Tech, one of 150, by BMW to gage the desire of the US market for the M3.  They were sold at a premium over the base E36, but they did convince the company that there was a market for the US version of a future icon. 

Showing her age and miles driven, but still gets the look.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
7/11/21 8:26 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And maybe even more rare, not a Chevy Aveo but a Pontiac G3. 

Neither of those are rare up here. I see G5's every day still and probably G3's, I just don't notice them.

The G5 GT was a much better looking car than the Cobalt SS, IMO.

The 4 dr Z24 was fairly rare even when they were current

Or

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oI0kLVj8rcwJNAdAHCW2fWKqLcr8DKk96LHHV0DADhtPAJUlEBG6FhoF9jcfnkUj