EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/18/17 6:02 p.m.

What's on your tool wish list for fifty bucks or less? Last year I got Chuck the Clamp Tite tool, which magically makes clamps of any size out of safety wire. This has been a big hit and I have used it to repair our garden hose and temporarily fix my exhaust on the 4runner. Year before that it was the Nebo Big Larry led worklight with magnetic base which is so awesome I bought one for the house and each vehicle. 

Looking for something cool, useful and not terribly expensive. Whatcha got?

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/18/17 6:14 p.m.

ECM  where are yu shoppin'?......that's right the interwebb....gotta go...HO HO HO!!!

asoduk
asoduk HalfDork
12/18/17 10:15 p.m.

The HF Bauer LED work light is on my list. A coupon will get it for $20. 

I'd also say one of the lithium jump packs. https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-10800mAh-Portable-Emergency-Flashlight/dp/B06Y5JYG93/ref=sr_1_25?srs=6457793011&ie=UTF8&qid=1513656572&sr=8-25

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
12/19/17 5:04 a.m.

I'm a big fan of the Brush Hero, especially for people who ride dirt bikes or wheel. It's even good for cleaning wheels and such, though. It's got a surprising amount of torque, too. 

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/19/17 8:02 a.m.
ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
12/19/17 9:01 a.m.

For under $50 get multipack of bright LED headlamps, the kind on the elastic band. Seriously, I'm starting to use one of these no matter what I'm working on - house, car, boat...minor surgery.   No matter how many worklights or shop lights you have, there's always some critical bolt or something where you can't see it. These fix that almost completely. And buy a whopping big pack of batteries.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/19/17 9:26 a.m.

We go through sooooo many AA batteries at our house, between kid's toys and headlamps and the big larry light. So, I've started to buy Eneloop rechargeables and they're pretty great. They're not perfect - my headlamp, for example, is not quite as bright as with alkaline batteries. But they're really dang good for rechargeables and they last a very long time and don't self-discharge on the shelf. (Meaning, you can charge them and put them away and then when you need them in a month or a year, they are still charged.)

Starter pack of 4 with charger: https://smile.amazon.com/Panasonic-K-KJ17MCA4BA-Individual-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00JHKSMJU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1513696872&sr=8-6&keywords=eneloop+aa

Additional packs of 4: https://smile.amazon.com/Panasonic-BK-4MCCA4BA-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00JHKSMJK/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1513696872&sr=8-14&keywords=eneloop+aa

You can also get AAA batteries, and "adapters" that let you put the AA batteries into devices that use C or D batteries.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/17 9:57 a.m.

My dad gave me a pair of Knipex Pliers, and while they seem like just an alternative to Channel-Lock, I find that they work a little better and get used a lot more.  

Flex-head allen wrenches are also darn handy and a nice gift. 

Chef's Choice now has a 3-stage sharpener at $50.  Haven't used this particular model, but I love having a 3-stage and its great as a gift because its a bit pricey to buy yourself.  

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/17 10:38 a.m.

Fender roller

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/19/17 10:52 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
12/19/17 11:46 a.m.

Flex head allen...that's a new one on me.  I need a set of those!

So many choices in Lith-Ion jumper packs.  Any recommendations for a beefy one?  The wife drives a Suburban.  

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/19/17 12:01 p.m.
Tyler H said:

Easily the hottest tool gift under $50:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-TS4000KC-Trigger-Start-Torch-Kit-TS4000KC/203368730

I know this was a joking answer, but if you don't have one, it's a great tool to have around.

volvoclearinghouse
12/19/17 12:56 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Aye.  I had to get a door off in a junkyard once, and the hinges wouldn't budge.  Thankfully I'd packed my MAP torch.  Not as fast as oxy/acetalyne, but it still burned through the metal to get the door off.  

Autolex
Autolex Dork
12/19/17 1:13 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

My dad gave me a pair of Knipex Pliers, and while they seem like just an alternative to Channel-Lock, I find that they work a little better and get used a lot more.  

Those are good, but these are better.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
12/19/17 6:35 p.m.

Yes! Plier wrench is great to have, I love mine. 

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/19/17 8:36 p.m.
Robbie said:
Tyler H said:

Easily the hottest tool gift under $50:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-TS4000KC-Trigger-Start-Torch-Kit-TS4000KC/203368730

I know this was a joking answer, but if you don't have one, it's a great tool to have around.

I didn't even think about the pun until I had typed it out.  It's seriously the best thing ever.  I use it instead of aim-n-flames.  I even light the candles on the kids birthday cakes with it.  Why kill when you can overkill?

asoduk
asoduk HalfDork
12/19/17 9:09 p.m.

Regarding the lithium jump packs, I have a pretty small one and have been really impressed. I think mine is only 300A... I've jumped dead saabs, dead miatas, and dead Porsches. The trick is to let it sit on the battery for a minute or so if the battery was totally flat.  I'd imagine the bigger 600A models could jump much larger things with less wait. 

volvoclearinghouse
12/20/17 7:18 a.m.

In reply to asoduk :

Thanks.  Yeah I was looking at one of the 600A- 18000mAh ones.  A buddy of mine home-brewed his own jumper pack out of a bunch of A123 cells and he claims it's the greatest thing ever.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/20/17 7:21 a.m.

I got a lithium jump pack a couple years ago, can confirm, greatest thing ever. I haven't used jumper cables since. I still carry them, but the jump pack is easier to use in literally every situation. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/17 7:25 a.m.
turtl631 said:

Never heard them called that. I always called them water pump pliers.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/20/17 8:09 a.m.

Headlamps are always useful. I keep one in every vehicle, a few others around the house, and I wear one of the motion sensor versions when I do surgery. 

Much more useful than a flashlight. 

Crackers
Crackers Dork
12/20/17 9:21 a.m.

I want the "Shake N Break". 

https://www.wivco.com/store/p3/Shake-N-Break.html

Air hammer screw extractor. 

Although the name is fantastic, I think in reality I'm gonna get the Lisle version for functionality. 

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-60530-Small-Fastener-Remover/dp/B00MEPJEII

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
12/20/17 9:30 a.m.
dean1484 said:
turtl631 said:

Never heard them called that. I always called them water pump pliers.

The plier wrench is a Knipex tool that has parallel jaws like a crescent wrench but plier handles. It is its own thing

They are a well made, cool device and I own two pair yet rarely use them. I also never use crescent wrenches even though I have a dozen of them.

The Knipex Cobra slip joint pliers are awesome. I can never go back to channel locks. 

I have serviced a few hundred industrial water pumps in my time yet have never used this style of slip joint plier on them. I don't understand how the name "water pump pliers" stuck.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/17 9:34 a.m.

The PowerAll has been my Go-To since 2014, never let me down.  Jumps the 4.0 liter Jeep, the 350 in Dad's Van, boats, Jet Skis, Kias and lots of other stuff.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IfwgOZgJhsJvqhjuYohaI2q25DXFX0VzGXd8F3T6AKEMtbazMYq9vlMR3ilG82cv