1 ... 3 4 5
A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/24 8:15 a.m.
einy (Forum Supporter) said:

Maybe not the worst, but Christine had some awful acting.  Great book, crappy movie.

You're right.  It was a decent book.  I read it when I was 15 I think.  All 500 pages.  It was the longest book I'd read at the time.  And then I saw the movie which I found highly disappointing.  I remember commenting to my father about it and his response was that I'd learned a lesson.  Books always have more depth and character development than movies.  

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
3/28/24 3:42 p.m.

No one has mentioned Ronin yet?

I think the problem with people not liking Graffitti is they were born later in the century, for those of us who grew up in the 60's, it was pretty accurate. I was the guy at the gas station where Milner uncapped his headers.....

Same problem with thinking Bullet is boring - there is a lot of tension between the characters - but for those who are only interested in the car chase - you miss the real movie, which is what's going on between the cops and the prosecutor, all the political machinations.....I especially liked the informant Bullet uses, sunglasses, muttonchops and all, and able to get all the important info in 30 minutes! 

OK, one out of left field - In the Heat of the Night - all sorts of car chases in that one, plus some bitchin fight scenes!

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
3/28/24 4:12 p.m.
MiniDave said:

... I was the guy at the gas station where Milner uncapped his headers....

Then you can answer a pointless question I've had since the film came out. What were you guys throwing at each other in that scene? In the scene's context, it might have been lug nuts, but those would hurt!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/28/24 4:19 p.m.

Did anyone mention this "classic"?

If I remember correctly, Jay Leno (the American cop) and Pat Morita (the stereotypical Japanese cop) team up to stop someone from stealing secret turbocharger secrets to sell to another company illegally. I don't remember much else. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
3/28/24 7:10 p.m.

I feel like a lot of these period car movies need some form of chemical assistance to make them good.

Vanishing Point, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, etc.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/28/24 8:51 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Getting blasted would help with Two Lane Blacktop.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/24 8:53 p.m.
MiniDave said:

I was the guy at the gas station where Milner uncapped his headers.....

For real?  That's pretty berkeleying cool.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
3/28/24 10:09 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to ShawnG :

Getting blasted would help with Two Lane Blacktop.

At least the soundtrack is good.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/28/24 10:38 p.m.

I might have been eleven or twelve the first time I saw American Graffiti, and I never had a chance. As far as car culture was concerned, that movie captured everything I looked forward to and everything I heard about from the olden days. It's still one of my favorites.

No, scratch that. It is my all-time favorite. The Wolfman is everywhere...

Hot Rods to Hell was pretty awful.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
3/29/24 8:03 a.m.

Hot take: I've never seen a good car movie.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
4/1/24 8:40 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I don't see how that story line could possibly be bad.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8ek0uDaP7hjxwn4wrwTYfLiTKkRjWxlMFGYYZflLqN5UWhADMe8QXinpe1LrHaB4