1 2 3 4
Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/28/20 1:55 a.m.

Dug out the Lionel HO train stuff that I've had since 1974 (they were already old when I got them) from the coolest wooden box ever, set up the smallest circle of track possible, and tested four old transformers to see which ones still work (all of them!). 

That's pretty cool. The box is probably worth more than the trains. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
12/28/20 7:14 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) :

I love the box. I'm going to get rid of the trains, but I'm keeping the box forever. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
12/28/20 7:16 a.m.

I got the trains from my uncle. He used to build reservoirs for the water company in the 40s and 50s. Lots of dynamite. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/28/20 7:17 a.m.

I'm in the same place I always am this time of year. At work. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
12/28/20 9:33 a.m.

I'm working on illuminating the loft in the barn workshop project. I need to update that thread. I've been working on it a lot, it just doesn't feel post worthy, know what I mean?

ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter)
ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/28/20 10:04 a.m.

Finish removing the engine, transmission, and wiring harness from the '90 GMC. And if I'm feeling frisky, get the engine on a stand and start tearing into it. I want the remains of this parts truck gone soon to get my parking spot back.

iikakholiqi3148
iikakholiqi3148 New Reader
12/28/20 1:21 p.m.
No Time
No Time SuperDork
12/28/20 1:36 p.m.
iikakholiqi3148 said:

https://shrinke.me/kIPQ7

I didn't click the link, but it looks like someone's building a canoe.

calteg
calteg Dork
12/28/20 1:36 p.m.

Spent some quality time with the angle grinder yesterday. Turbo + Texas Summer = running a bit too warm for my liking, even with the upgraded radiator. Hopefully this solves that issue. If not, I shed at least 2oz of aluminum

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/28/20 2:15 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

If we finally get the headaches cured,  ill be trying to finish the restoration and detailing on my 1997 acr. 

And clean the shop. Its atrocious. 

Today i started! So, its definitely game on around here! Assuming all goes according to plan, i may actually have the car finished by the weekend!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/28/20 4:53 p.m.

Doing fluids on the 996 Turbo.  Dumped the 5+ gallons of coolant and bought an air lift tool to help me suck in the new stuff.  Also changing the transmission and front diff oil and doing an oil change.  Going to wrap up the wiring for the tow hitch and put the rear bumper cover back on.

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/28/20 5:06 p.m.

Leaving at 3:00 this morning, driving to Jacksonville for some car parts, should be home by 4:00 or 5:00 pm.  700 miles but no trailer.

Three weeks ago did 970 miles to Tampa and pulled the X1/9 back in 19 hrs. so this trip will be a lot easier.

Had one meal today and just enough water to not dehydrate. Will sip 20 ozs. green tea during the trip and eat some nuts and a couple of apples. One pee brake when I arrive in Jax. It works really well and you don't get tired.

ascott
ascott GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/28/20 7:58 p.m.

I'm (re)building a car.

If anybody watches MAVTV, they may have caught glimpses of a white Ford Probe in the Optima Ultimate Street Car show footage from the 2020 season. The clever amongst us would have gone, "HOLY $#%^, was that a PROBE?!?!?"

The car was a $500 Ebay purchased parking lot rescue that inherited suspension from Cold Lotion, who was featured in the magazine and several video shorts awhile ago. My car made it to the Optima Invitational at COTA this past November. It was still GRM Challenge budget friendly in that trim. 

Making the invitational was a goal. I hit it. 2021's goal is to podium an event.

That means more power, but the power was nothing if I couldn't stay in the seat, which begat better seats and a roll bar.

Started here:

Landed here:

Currently here:

Still waiting on some wiring parts from the Amazons so I can get my Pi based E-dash working, then I can button up the interior. Then I get to work on this part:

Ebay T3/T4 kit. Should be epic, either in success or failure. Putting boost to a 267,000 mile engine is always a dicey proposition. It does have fresh rod bearings, though.

If the budget (and the rings) hold, I should be a hair shy of $5,000 all in on the car. Total, without GRM Challenge allowances. If I pop the motor, that'll be another $800 for an Ebay long block. Shooting for the SCCA TT National Tour at VIR in March for the car's Turbo Debut.  No garauntees I'll hit that, though /elonmusk

Full gallery:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gyKP3E4VuJfk7uzx5

I'm on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube: @inkyracing
Build Blog: https://www.andrewdscott.com

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/28/20 8:01 p.m.

In reply to ascott :

Rock on. 

I am working second shift covering for the half of the crew that is COVID-tagious Monday-Wednesday then I am going to try to get the Panhard and Framey-McFrameface on to the trailer for the people who deserve them. Once THAT is accomplished them I will be trying to deliver them to their new homes. Hopefully by Sunday.

bruceman
bruceman Reader
12/28/20 9:07 p.m.

1985 Rx-7 rear suspension upgrade.  Panhard and Tri-Link install. Lots of fabrication and welding involved.

AaronT
AaronT Reader
12/28/20 9:32 p.m.

I'm saving up to move out of a condo so I can do projects. So my holiday project is not spending money.

I also thought about grad school. That would take up all my free time for a few years but would ultimately result in more $ for fun.

And I tried to hike Mt Mitchell, but was unprepared for the ice and had to turn back about 75% of the way to the top.

johndej
johndej Dork
12/28/20 9:45 p.m.

Drove from Richmond to Charleston and back yesterday. About 15 hrs total trip with my brother to pick up his new 8th gen civic SI. It appears to have passed VA inspection today!

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
12/30/20 12:37 p.m.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
12/30/20 12:38 p.m.

Trying to finish up this long term resto of a 1984 ZX750E before Spring springs.......

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) New Reader
12/30/20 12:49 p.m.

Trying to fix a persistent leak around the thermostat housing in the Miata. Put in a coolant reroute and the blanking plate has been a pain to seal for some reason. 

I spread it around. 

The Miata got new clutch hydraulics and a wash.

The truck got repacked wheel bearings and a look-over.

And I dug a pit for a sump pump in the basement.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
12/30/20 5:24 p.m.

I've been working on minding my own business.

I failed...

Well I screwed up. I went on Facebook Marketplace and found a set of 2004 Cobra clone 17x9 and 17x10.5 wheels that I am going to pick up tomorrow that will remove a very large sum of money from my Challenge budget. I'll be well under the $1000 mark with these wheels and the new computer, speaking of the computer, they sent me the incorrect one so instead of $500 it's now $225 by sending my original in. See 2020 didn't totally suck!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9EOcwTmfWZOGlEL9RKfxLj7Th4Xwdsl6R1Iq7viQw57BVUjC9e2MQLsghkpyYQjw