Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/1/24 8:32 a.m.

Do you think the OEMs will take a harder look at waterproofing?  Preventing shorts?  Or will they just roll with it?

News story as an example, not any specific commentary: https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2024/09/30/video-shows-electric-car-catching-fire-in-garage-due-to-saltwater-flooding/

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
10/1/24 8:43 a.m.

Nope. They will hide behind they built to it to all applicable standards. I have no problem with that. The owners are the problem which then turns into an insurance nightmare imo.... I mean "gassers" would do the same thing just that they are on such a smaller scale.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/24 8:49 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

I mean "gassers" would do the same thing just that they are on such a smaller scale.

is that true? Battery chemistry is significantly different between the 12V lead acid battery in a gasser vs the HV propulsion battery in an EV.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/1/24 8:58 a.m.

The effective energy in a 12V is also significantly less than an EV pack. The ability to release most of that in a short time is the real challenge. a 12V may blow up, but the EV pack can get into runaway conditions based on the fact that the chemistry in less resistant to water dilution.

Will manufacturers do anything? Only if they are required to. Something about costs and development time...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/1/24 9:13 a.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

I would agree that until told otherwise, they won't do anything.  Especially since gas cars are totaled when flooded, too.  The only real change is the risk for insurance companies to rebuild structures.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
10/1/24 9:13 a.m.

This is not a new thing.

Fiskar Karma / Hurricane Sandy 2012

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/1/24 9:19 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

This is not a new thing.

The scale is new.

And since when did Fiskar make good decisions?

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/1/24 9:40 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

This is not a new thing.

I always marveled at Fisker's decision to name the new car Ocean, when the ocean had killed his previous company. 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin HalfDork
10/1/24 9:44 a.m.

But also, a house inundated with saltwater to the point that the EV in the garage was submerged was already likely "catastrophicly damaged" whether that EV caught on fire or not. Not to say there's not an issue, but the circumstances surrounding the higher incidence of battery fires (saltwater flooding from a major hurricane) cause all manner of issues for ICE cars, battery cars, houses, crops, roads and infrastructure, etc etc. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Not like that hurricane just snuck up on them. Leave/move your car, if at all possible.

TravisTheHuman
TravisTheHuman MegaDork
10/1/24 9:50 a.m.
Spearfishin said:

But also, a house inundated with saltwater to the point that the EV in the garage was submerged was already likely "catastrophicly damaged" whether that EV caught on fire or not. Not to say there's not an issue, but the circumstances surrounding the higher incidence of battery fires (saltwater flooding from a major hurricane) cause all manner of issues for ICE cars, battery cars, houses, crops, roads and infrastructure, etc etc. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Not like that hurricane just snuck up on them. Leave/move your car, if at all possible.

The water level in the video likely wouldn't be catastrophic damage to a house, right?  (I'm not experienced in the ways of hurricane life in FL).

Having to move your car is going to be interesting.  Hurricane comes and everyone in the neighborhood parks their cars on the street?  What happens to the snowbirds that haven't arrived for the season yet? 

I agree they wont make changes to address this unless a regulatory body forces the change.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/1/24 10:07 a.m.

It will likely just increase insurance rates.   Both home and car.

"Do you own an EV?'

"Do you park it in the garage?'

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/1/24 10:12 a.m.
aircooled said:

It will likely just increase insurance rates.   Both home and car.

"Do you own an EV?'

"Do you park it in the garage?'

We can probably look at the GM car that had that issue (Bolt?) for an example.of that.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
10/1/24 10:13 a.m.

EV's catching on fire because of salt water, and several years ago it was BMW with fire issues of some sort.  Ferrari had adhesive melting and dripping on to the manifolds causing fires, and Hyundai even told owners not to park some of its vehicles indoors ... because of fires.

I don't know where I'm going with any of that beyond "smh."

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/24 12:54 p.m.
Spearfishin said:

Ah, but if the house is flooded AND catches fire, they can argue amongst themselves if it should be covered under fire or flood insurance.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
10/1/24 1:12 p.m.

Being trapped in your house while it floods in a hurricane is bad.  Now, lighting it on fire at same time is exponentially worse.  I'm not generally a fan of more rules, but I think some regulation is in the public's best interest.

Assuming the battery chemistry and designs aren't changing, is the solution a matter of hermetically sealing all HV connections?

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/1/24 1:18 p.m.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10778893/cell-phone-charging-overnight-risks/

Why stop at cars. Still lots of unknowns with Lithium.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qEWJjXHhJkCW2SNu5dVwQUGr1SdWdQSCixm5uHI1FXNx9GtvNB2PluMW7Tm3GUWX