1 2 3 4 ... 6
tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
1/31/14 9:30 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Fletch1 wrote: I thought Grand Vitara as well. It actually made #8 on the Top 10 Overland vehicles list: http://expeditionportal.com/guide/351-top-10-used-overland-vehicles.html Here's the spec comparisons: http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?c=0&i=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&tb=0&dt=0&v=t92460&v=t2063 You MAY get a 3rd Gen 4Runner for that price, but I have heard about frame rust on that generation. I've seen them go 400,000- 650,000 miles. Or just stay with the XJ's.
Read this link, the Suzuki and the Nissan seem like the best bets according to them. If it were me and I was going all-out I would probably get the CUCV or something older, but that's me.
Like this? http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/4285496345.html
No, this is a CUCV: Military blazer with the 6.2 diesl, Turbo400 trans and monster axles. Sheet metal is thicker than the civilian versions so rust is rarely an issue.

Oh, does Ben not know CUCV goodness?

You can get them at military auctions, but beware, there are lots of ways to do that wrong. Read up on it and you should be sitting pretty do it wrong and you'll end up owning a CUCV on its side with forklift holes in it.

This is a CUCV

And yeah, they come painted like that with basically no interior.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
1/31/14 9:33 a.m.

They are the most awesomeness in 4wd form you could get from a factory.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/31/14 9:34 a.m.

Ok SO, just a recap so far:

Seems that i should be looking at:

1) XJ Cherokees
2) MJ Comanches
3) 1st gen XTerra
4) Grand Vitaras

Unsure of, but interested:
1) First gen Pathfinders
2) Whatever that huge black Cherokee thing was
3) Infiniti QX4 (can't explain it, always liked them)

The Exploder would probably do just fine for what i need, but i'm not interested in it at all, sorry.

I AM interested in the Isuzu offerings, need more research.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
1/31/14 9:35 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: They are the most awesomeness in 4wd form you could get from a factory.

Other than an H1 hummer, I think, you're right. As long as you don't mind the size and the old and the (lack of) interior, you can't get much better for a few grand.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
1/31/14 9:36 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Fletch1 wrote: I thought Grand Vitara as well. It actually made #8 on the Top 10 Overland vehicles list: http://expeditionportal.com/guide/351-top-10-used-overland-vehicles.html Here's the spec comparisons: http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?c=0&i=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&tb=0&dt=0&v=t92460&v=t2063 You MAY get a 3rd Gen 4Runner for that price, but I have heard about frame rust on that generation. I've seen them go 400,000- 650,000 miles. Or just stay with the XJ's.
Read this link, the Suzuki and the Nissan seem like the best bets according to them. If it were me and I was going all-out I would probably get the CUCV or something older, but that's me.
If it's MY choice, a rust free K20-'burb with a d-max 4L80 swap. but Ben's a bit too prissy for something that manly.
Is a duramax swap into the K5s something that people actually do? It sounds hard. Why not 6BT at that point? Is keeping everything General easier? I guess the Duramax makes a good motor, it just seems the Cummins is better from what I know - which is not much.

My reasoning is highway use. 70-80mph and fuel sipping status with enough power to move a 2.5T beast on 35's with a 6" lift and roof rack carrying your spare tire, and a couple spare fuel cans. The D-Max comes coupled with an OD trans/transfer case already. After having had a couple diesels with non-OD trans, that 65mph top speed kinda of sucks.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady New Reader
1/31/14 9:38 a.m.

I vote 1st gen Pathfinder with a KA24 or a VG30. Rugged and doesn't come with the 4runner premium. I'd say the KA and VG are more reliable than the 4.0, as they come without cracked heads and simple as pie TBI. If you ever need more power, just make friends with drift fan boys.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
1/31/14 9:40 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: No, this is a CUCV: Military blazer with the 6.2 diesl, Turbo400 trans and monster axles. Sheet metal is thicker than the civilian versions so rust is rarely an issue.

The blazer only had 10 bolt axles front and rear, the trucks had Dana 60 front and 14 Bolt rear.

Also I still hate the formatting of this web forum.

• Lee
tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
1/31/14 9:41 a.m.

http://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_auctions.php

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
1/31/14 9:42 a.m.

This is what Ben needs:

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/31/14 9:45 a.m.
RoughandReady wrote: I vote 1st gen Pathfinder with a KA24 or a VG30. Rugged and doesn't come with the 4runner premium. I'd say the KA and VG are more reliable than the 4.0, as they come without cracked heads and simple as pie TBI. If you ever need more power, just make friends with drift fan boys.

Cracked heads are really only a 00-01 thing. My 00 has 198k miles on it with original head, no cracks yet. (That i know of.)

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/31/14 9:45 a.m.

That meets all your requirements right?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
1/31/14 9:46 a.m.

In reply to EvanB:

that's $3k? How much electrical stuff no longer works at that price.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
1/31/14 9:47 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: This is what Ben needs:

Yeah I agre, but for 3k, he's going to find this instead:

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
1/31/14 9:47 a.m.

LOL Yep!

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
1/31/14 9:50 a.m.

Skip the Government auction headaches and buy one from a person that's already running and ready to go, like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Blazer-CUCV-1984-chevrolet-blazer-m-1009-cucv-/231145606141?forcerrptr=true&hash=item35d15a0bfd&item=231145606141&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Thank Bob and I later.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/31/14 9:51 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: This is what Ben needs:

Yes, i need that.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
1/31/14 9:52 a.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82:

The trucks also had gearing that made them pretty useless for highway driving, but awesome if strictly offroad. They had 4:56 while the Blazers have a much more highway friendly 3.08. Both have the TH400HD 3 speed automatic.

I have the cucv blazer and really like it. The gearing works better for me since I do some highway driving with it and I like the fact that I can carry 5 and remove the rear roof section if I want. They are really cool rigs, but just keep in mind the 6.2 is no powerhouse. Banks made turbo kits for them and they show us on CL from time to time for around 1k give or take.

Just FYI my blazer spent 3 days with water over the roof during the TN floods a few years back. I dried it out, replaced all the fluids, replaced the fried glow plug controller with a button, and she fired right up and has been running well ever since. The exhaust was still full of water, so it shot streams about 12 foot out off each exhaust....pretty funny.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/31/14 9:53 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: In reply to EvanB: that's $3k? How much electrical stuff no longer works at that price.

It varies from day to day.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
1/31/14 9:57 a.m.
Cotton wrote: In reply to bigdaddylee82: The trucks also had gearing that made them pretty useless for highway driving, but awesome if strictly offroad. They had 4:56 while the Blazers have a much more highway friendly 3.08. Both have the TH400HD 3 speed automatic. I have the cucv blazer and really like it. The gearing works better for me since I do some highway driving with it and I like the fact that I can carry 5 and remove the rear roof section if I want. They are really cool rigs, but just keep in mind the 6.2 is no powerhouse. Banks made turbo kits for them and they show us on CL from time to time for around 1k give or take.

I didn't realize the Blazers had the 3.08 gears. Huh... interesting. Dad had both an 82 dually with the 6.2/TH400 and 4.56 gears (and 13 leaf packs!) and the military truck with the same 6.2/TH400/4.56 he got at an auction in Maryland. Both were topped out at 60-65mph.

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
1/31/14 9:58 a.m.

Yep... If you can't find a scout or an early Bronco... The Only answer is XJ...

Unless you want to go ZJ.. I have a 1995... WAY less than 3k in it... Very easy to lift three inches and fit 31's... Then they really look great! You lose lightness but gain lot of comfort without giving up much MPG's..

RossD
RossD PowerDork
1/31/14 10:00 a.m.

Do the Trailblazers have weak spots? There are tons of them so that's a plus.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
1/31/14 10:01 a.m.

In reply to Cotton:

I worked for the NPS for 2 years. We had a Bobcat T300, full cab heat/air, all bells and whistles, with the biggest Tree Terminator shear attachment they made at the time, would shear a 20" diameter tree. We hauled it on a steel tandem duals dovetail 26' goose neck trailer. Wanna guess what our tow rig was?

Military surplus CUCV 1-1/4 ton Chevy truck, the CARC had been painted over with NPS white, and we had the NPS arrowhead stickers on the doors, other than that and a weld-in goose neck hitch in the bed, it was mostly unmolested. It had been a "radio truck" in it's former life, the wiring harness and mounts were still in the cab, but we didn't have the radio or antenna anymore.

So yeah, I know just how fun it is to be on the highway with those.

• Lee
tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
1/31/14 10:03 a.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote: In reply to Cotton: I worked for the NPS for 2 years. We had a Bobcat T300, full cab heat/air, all bells and whistles, with the biggest Tree Terminator shear attachment they made at the time, would shear a 20" diameter tree. We hauled it on a steel tandem duals dovetail 26' goose neck trailer. Wanna guess what our tow rig was? Military surplus CUCV 1-1/4 ton Chevy truck, the CARC had been painted over with NPS white, and we had the NPS arrowhead stickers on the doors, other than that and a weld-in goose neck hitch in the bed, it was mostly unmolested. It had been a "radio truck" in it's former life, the wiring harness and mounts were still in the cab, but we didn't have the radio or antenna anymore. So yeah, I know just how fun it is to be on the highway with those. - Lee

The nice thing is that, being GM, the TH400 can be swapped for a 4l80E in like 15 seconds.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
1/31/14 10:17 a.m.

My wife used to have a late '90s Pathfinder. The main problem I remember it having is that they used a four link rear similar to a 5.0 Mustang. They tried to solve the suspension binding issue with grooved bushings that didn't leave much rubber in the center of them. The rubber tears out, and you end up with a truck that will go into a nasty wobble at highway speeds. It feels like a giant hand grabbed the rear bumper and was trying to use the truck for a ShakeWeight.

Luckily, aftermarket poly bushings are an easy fix.

Ok, and spark plugs are a PITA to change on the V6. You have to remove the upper intake manifold. Which is held on with Allen head screws that face upward, collect water in the hex recess, and rust until they're impossible to get a tool into.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
1/31/14 10:18 a.m.

Oh my..... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Suburban-Silverado-1988-suburban-4-x-4-4-wd-sky-jacker-lifted-5-7-l-8-cyl-silverado-v-10-/251436858492?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a8acdfc7c&vxp=mtr

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E1Ve23FeHB9eh7BgPQ9322vilFODgYKhi4emiyrBsqLiQL5wBIPwgOKu93H4CLOr