David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/10/24 9:25 a.m.
feature_image

Party up front, business in the back.

No, not an El Camino but a Volkswagen Saveiro, the pickup version of the Brazilian-market Gol wagon. Power came from a front-mounted, air-cooled VW engine paired with a front-drive layout.

So it’s from the ’60s or ’70s, right? No, the Saveiro came out in 1983, the same year as the Great Video Game …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/10/24 9:59 a.m.

Hopefully this remains in the greater Daytona area so we can see it. 

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
7/10/24 10:14 a.m.

So, does the engine bolt to a "normal" transmission with some sort of bellhousing adapter, or does it use some type of torque tube to transmit power to a rear mounted differential?

This is the first time I've ever seen a FRONT - mounted VW flat four driving the rear wheels. Interesting.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/10/24 10:46 a.m.

Something seems definitely off.  Looking at the BAT Auction Listing that seems like a FWD.  Image 49/58 shows the exhaust traveling down the center tunnel with no driveshaft.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
7/10/24 11:41 a.m.

I thought these were FWD? So far as I know, the only VW that can claim front engine RWD is the LT van/truck from around the same time. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/24 11:46 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Something seems definitely off.  Looking at the BAT Auction Listing that seems like a FWD.  Image 49/58 shows the exhaust traveling down the center tunnel with no driveshaft.

Also from that listing:

Power is sent to the front wheels through a four-speed manual transaxle.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/10/24 11:50 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Mr_Asa said:

Also from that listing:

Power is sent to the front wheels through a four-speed manual transaxle.

(To tell the truth, I started looking for underbody pics cause the first few results showed up in Portugese, then just continued looking at pics and not bothering to read)

Keith Tanner
7/10/24 12:01 p.m.

Pics are more fun than reading, and make you feel like more of a detective :) You're not wrong, there are pics of a tunnel with just an exhaust in it.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/10/24 12:07 p.m.

Good eye to all of you. Everything I'm seeing also confirms it's front wheel drive. I've fixed the text.

A rear-wheel-drive Saveiro would be pretty rad, how hard would it be to make it that way?

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/10/24 12:12 p.m.

There's a Gol in Colorado Springs for sale on FBM, just under $10k OBO.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/983344027131616/

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/10/24 12:22 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Good eye to all of you. Everything I'm seeing also confirms it's front wheel drive. I've fixed the text.

A rear-wheel-drive Saveiro would be pretty rad, how hard would it be to make it that way?

I think earlybronco got the easiest ways.  Id go torque tube and beyond the torque tube to the rear, use front suspension for the back.

Me, I'm wondering if you can get a rear driveshaft to come out the front transaxle and make it AWD

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
7/10/24 12:30 p.m.

VW also had some local built utility trucks  with Aircooled motor and front wheel drive ,

They were called VW Hormiga  in Mexico , which was ant in spanish,

Here is the WIKI page that shows the Hormiga and other local built utility trucks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_EA489_Basistransporter

Keith Tanner
7/10/24 12:34 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Colin Wood said:

I think earlybronco got the easiest ways.  Id go torque tube and beyond the torque tube to the rear, use front suspension for the back.

Me, I'm wondering if you can get a rear driveshaft to come out the front transaxle and make it AWD

Vanagon Syncro for a parts donor! Just have to make it run backwards :)

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
7/10/24 12:36 p.m.

VW still sells the Saveiro, sadly not here.

As far as air-cooled 25-year eligible Brazilian VWs go,  the little p/u is cute but please make mine a SP2

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/10/24 1:39 p.m.

I went over to marketface after reading this article and the first suggested item was a saveiro. 
https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1130306304925425/?ref=browse_tab

DavyZ
DavyZ Reader
7/10/24 2:00 p.m.

I love the look of that back end!  This Brazilian market VW pickup sure beats the ones we got for style.  Why do sexy cars have to go to other markets??  Yes, I do think this little truck is "sexy."

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/10/24 2:38 p.m.

VW sure built some wild cars.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/10/24 8:41 p.m.

I wanted to make one of these from a Fox wagon. Still do actually.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/10/24 8:47 p.m.

Update: Looks like it reached $15,000 but went unsold.

mechanicalmeanderings
mechanicalmeanderings Reader
7/10/24 8:48 p.m.

It reminds me of a fox wagon, weird that they built such similar models with such diverse drivetrains 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/11/24 8:09 a.m.

If they took off those awful wheels it may be easier to sell.

As a point of interest, there were a couple older trucks that used a flat four air cooled VW engine mounted in the front - the Tempo Matador built in Germany in the early 1950s, and the Hormiga built in Mexico in the 1970s

aw614
aw614 HalfDork
7/11/24 8:52 a.m.
mechanicalmeanderings said:

It reminds me of a fox wagon, weird that they built such similar models with such diverse drivetrains 

Its the same platform which originates from the original Dasher. 

mechanicalmeanderings
mechanicalmeanderings Reader
7/11/24 9:06 a.m.

In reply to aw614 :

I wondered.

cool

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K9yjHsYbTcKzIoyr4EXnJnu1FGJc3zXPY8OkeJOA9vZ5Cgg5Z7h1BrdHJG7rkKpb