1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/7/23 11:38 a.m.
feature_image

In today’s money, this 1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 sold for more than $50,000–close to $55,000, in fact.

Today’s asking price? $12,750

It’s wearing Belize Green Metallic over a gray interior and looks stock and fairly clean in the photos. It even still wears its “1992 Limited Edition Galant” badge on the dashboard.

With prices on so many rad-era classics …

Read the rest of the story

calteg
calteg SuperDork
11/7/23 1:03 p.m.

A thoroughly abused Evo will cost you 2x as much. That seems like a bargain

David S. Wallens
11/7/23 2:26 p.m.

It does seem priced to sell. I even like the color. 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/7/23 2:42 p.m.

All stock gvr4 is really almost impossible to find. And the USDM cars far more rare than the JDM version. Glad these are bringing decent money now.

nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/7/23 2:47 p.m.

Early in 1991, I flew to Portland, OR for a job interview. Hiring manager had a new Galant VR-4. After breakfast, I had to follow him to the office in my rental Chevy Beretta. Definitely added some stress to the day trying to keep up with the Mitsu.

(they did offer me a job in the end)...

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
11/7/23 3:32 p.m.

I had a 1991 Belize Green Galant VR4 #376/2000. It was destroyed by a hurricane while I was in Afghanistan. I still miss it.

11/7/23 5:02 p.m.
yupididit said:

I had a 1991 Belize Green Galant VR4 #376/2000. It was destroyed by a hurricane while I was in Afghanistan. I still miss it.

I was 1439/2000. Good times

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
11/7/23 5:07 p.m.

I guess that dealer has never heard of BAT?  I would think that car would easily bring way more than that, even at no reserve...

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
11/7/23 5:19 p.m.

Daaaaaamn! That thing is sweet! It's a good thing I don't have 12k burning a hole in my pocket. 

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
11/7/23 5:27 p.m.

Evo 0 is best Evo..

So hawt

Want to touch the throttle 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/7/23 5:35 p.m.

I've worked on them. We had one or two at the dealership in Vermont. Fun car to drive. Relatively easy to maintain.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/23 5:52 p.m.
calteg said:

A stock GVR4 is amazingly underwhelming.  The engine is really anemic before the boost comes up, and when it finally does after much anticipation, you wonder why you bothered.

I still want one, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near what an Evo is.

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
11/7/23 10:19 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Yeah they kind of sucked stock. But I was 20 years old. By the time I put all my money in it, it had a 2.4 block, Eagle (I think) 92mm or 94mm crank, longer custom rods from RR, and Wiseco pistons. 1150cc Injectors, ecmlink and a FP Green turbo. It was stupid fast. I remember smoking a new gt500 at the time, 2011, with my mom, sister and ex in the car lol

I ended up buying a new Evo X that I couldn't afford when I lost my GVR4. I still can't believe they approved me for that loan. 

David S. Wallens
11/8/23 8:38 a.m.

Everything was slower back then. My SE-R seemed like a rocket, and I think 0-60 was like 7.4 seconds. And we liked it that way. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
11/8/23 11:44 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Everything was slower back then. My SE-R seemed like a rocket, and I think 0-60 was like 7.4 seconds. And we liked it that way. 

At a track day I had to explain to my son that a stock 2022 Miata is faster down the straights than his LS400 V8 powered wonder. 

I'm currently hatching a plan to try and talk a friend out of his SE-R........he'd be nuts to sell but it's always worth the ask.

David S. Wallens
11/8/23 4:13 p.m.

I totally miss my SE-R. Good times. 

11/9/23 4:00 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
calteg said:

A stock GVR4 is amazingly underwhelming.  The engine is really anemic before the boost comes up, and when it finally does after much anticipation, you wonder why you bothered.

I would leave this 100% stock with 200 hp HOWEVER 2005 Crankwalk can confirm a Supra fuel pump, ported o2 housing with an external dump and a bleeder T would get you in the 13s and bust some Mustangs ass at the drag strip.

Don't do that though. 

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
11/9/23 5:09 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

Remember when maxing out a 14b and a 16g's was a thing lol. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/9/23 5:58 p.m.
yupididit said:

Remember when maxing out a 14b and a 16g's was a thing lol. 

My home drag strip in the early 00s was Norwalk... had to drive past Buschur on the way there and back on route 10.

Scores of DSMs on test and tune night.  Lots of cars with wispy blue smoke from the exhaust from their way overworked 14bs and 16gs smiley

I used to regularly service GVR4 #84.  I liked it a lot.  I can still smell that early 90s Mitsubishi interior

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
11/9/23 11:41 p.m.

I don't get the appeal of leaving one stock, at least in US spec. The exhaust and intake are choked off, and it only runs just over 10 pounds of boost. On 7.8 to 1 compression. Open up the exhaust and intake, raise the boost to 15psi, and it's a different car for a few bucks and an afternoon's worth of work, with zero trade offs. Address the fuel system and raise the boost a bit more, and it's not hard at all to get stock EVO levels of power. I'm very happy with where mine is at- lots more power than stock, without losing stock driveability and still passes CA smog checks. 

11/10/23 12:55 p.m.
Boost_Crazy said:

I don't get the appeal of leaving one stock, at least in US spec. The exhaust and intake are choked off, and it only runs just over 10 pounds of boost. On 7.8 to 1 compression. Open up the exhaust and intake, raise the boost to 15psi, and it's a different car for a few bucks and an afternoon's worth of work, with zero trade offs. Address the fuel system and raise the boost a bit more, and it's not hard at all to get stock EVO levels of power. I'm very happy with where mine is at- lots more power than stock, without losing stock driveability and still passes CA smog checks. 

I think the appeal for me it's that there are a handful of stock GVR4s left in the US. It's more interesting to me who played with them for a decade, to enjoy a car like that for what it is with a paper silencer in the intake tube, black plastic cover still on the blowoff valve, and intact EGR as opposed to the slippery slope of modifying it like the other 99% that came here. It's truly the rarest thing to see a bone stock DSM or Galant VR4 at this point. They made it 30+ years without having been touched by the bottom feeders when these cars were at their cheapest.  

The plaqued cars were 3000 total and just feel more special than the jdm cars, though they are slower and uglier with US bumpers. 

Mine ended up with 450 hp, full suspension, paint, carbon everything, jdm bumpers, Evo 8 interior, Volks.... and if I had the chance to have that back or a low mileage original survivor car in great shape, I'd do low mileage original.

Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter)
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/10/23 1:05 p.m.

Anyone ever bought a car from Beverly Hills Car Club? I find myself looking through their inventory from time to time and i'm always struck by the relative "affordability" of their cars. It sets off my alarms that the cars aren't as good as they represent them. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/10/23 1:23 p.m.

exactly.  They are only original once.

There's no reason to modify one when pre modified cars already exist.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
11/11/23 10:17 a.m.

I've driven a few of these and liked them.  I'd have a hard time not modding one though and buying such a survivor probably wouldn't make sense, if good modded ones are available.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
11/11/23 10:33 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I totally miss my SE-R. Good times. 

Do you think some of this is due to the nonturbo 4 cylinder (and lighter weight)?  Just an honest 4 banger with 140-150hp? Row those gears.....

I'm not always liking these turbo engines as I test drove a G70 Genesis the other night.  Nothing from 750rpm to 3000rpm then full turbo power quickly to 6000+rpm. Hurry up and shift!  It didn't feel like 252hp of fun.  

Not that I have much of a choice.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zAVCVmVjVOKUpe6H3zB7neq63AvepaYWucBWQvE3l5ICwjT8ZFHUqUxTJrFGBviL